What school has played us the most and has a winning record against us? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What school has played us the most and has a winning record against us?

Holy Cross used to have a great program
And was invited to join the Big East when it was originally formed. They declined.

And was invited to join the Big East when it was originally formed. They declined.

Rob Perry was a heck of a player for them around that time.I believe he gave up basketball and tried baseball but never got past AA.

But we do own dear old Alfred so we have that going for us.
We own many.

Long term, I’d be happy with winning 40-45% of the time against Duke and UNC, and I think we should beat UVA more than they beat us. Louisville should be roughly 50/50. They had our number for a stretch even when our programs were equal, so that’s just one of those things. Seems we’d be due for a similar stretch, in our favor against them sometime.

Dolph Schayes was an NYU grad. If you're a Syracusan of my age Schayes will always be one of your basketball heroes. In the 30's until the early 60's the NIT may have been a better tourney than the NCAA's.
If I was studying US social history of that era, the prejudices in college hoops, which included anti-Semitism, would be a great theme for a paper.

That made me think about Coach Clair Bee, who wrote the book on zone defense. He also wrote the Chip Hilton books, every one of which I read as a kid. He also won two NIT championships at LIU and was in one of the most controversial games of all times.

The Chip Hilton books' constant theme is character always triumphs. I've always wondered how those books shaped my view of how the world should be. I can still remember the names of all the characters in those books, Chip's teammates and pals. Which is interesting because I can't remember where I parked my car.

And if you're a Syracuse fan of my age Dolph's son, Danny, will be one of your basketball heroes. No doubt a bit less accomplished than Dolph, but he did serve as a replacement for Rosie Bouie, transition to Andre Hawkins and helped lead us to an NIT Championship game, back when the NIT was still a bit more than a booby prize.

My elementary school principal took us to an SU hoops practice that year so meeting Danny and some of the other guys may color my perspective.

technically HC has more NCs than Syracuse. Their NIT was as good as an NCAA.

their decision to not join the Big East was a massive sliding doors scenario for alot of schools in the area. HC would have really owned Worcester and the rivalry with BC would have been something.

Umass 8-7 record against them is something. I remember losing to them in Hawaii, NCAAs 92 and I think an NIT. With Frank Martin there I am not sure they are a team that will be easily willing to come to Syracuse without a return to Mullins Center now. he's rebuilding it fast with transfers

As I said before, we really never got the benefit we were hoping for from the Crescent Athletic Club series. We were really hoping to land a couple of big recruits from Bay Ridge (Brooklyn) at the time: primarily Ephraim "Stilts" McGee, a 6'10" center who was discovered by an SU scout watching a half court exhibition game while on a family outing at Coney Island. He was taken by the shot blocking ability of McGee. He turned out to be a complete bust due to the fact that he was born without legs and literally had stilts for legs which rendered full court basketball very difficult. The scout claimed he could not have known this because Stilts was wearing long trousers. It later came out that the scout had spent the hour before the game in the Human Oddities tent smoking opium.
History can be so strange I am wondering if this is true... There were fewer hints than SI gave after introducing Sid Finch.

As I said before, we really never got the benefit we were hoping for from the Crescent Athletic Club series. We were really hoping to land a couple of big recruits from Bay Ridge (Brooklyn) at the time: primarily Ephraim "Stilts" McGee, a 6'10" center who was discovered by an SU scout watching a half court exhibition game while on a family outing at Coney Island. He was taken by the shot blocking ability of McGee. He turned out to be a complete bust due to the fact that he was born without legs and literally had stilts for legs which rendered full court basketball very difficult. The scout claimed he could not have known this because Stilts was wearing long trousers. It later came out that the scout had spent the hour before the game in the Human Oddities tent smoking opium.
Everything in this story needs to be true.

The entire ACC
I know you're trying to make a (rather ill-conceived) joke, but you're actually not even close to being correct.

Since joining the ACC, SU has a losing record against only 3 teams: Duke (4-12), UNC (3-11), UVa (3-10).

These records include regular season, ACCT, and NCAAT games.

There are 2 schools we are at .500 with: Louisville (4-4) and Miami (6-6).

We have a winning record against every other ACC school since we joined the league.

Since joining the ACC, SU has a losing record against only 3 teams: Duke (4-12), UNC (3-11), UVa (3-10).
When Syracuse joined the ACC, I expected they would hold their own against these teams. I am disappointed in myself because I like to think I’m good at analyzing the program objectively, despite being a fan. I guess my contact lenses do actually contain some orange tint.

Does it bother anyone else that the program has a historical losing record against some non-Big conference opponents?

Any chance we can shuffle the schedule next year so that we can start to right the historical record against:

Williston Seminary
Denison
Denver
East Liverpool (They're local they should be able to come up to the Dome, right?)
Cleveland State
St. John's Military Academy
Baldwin-Wallace
Austin-Peay
Schenectady Company "E"
Crescent Athletic Club
E. Kentucky
City College of New York (CCNY)
NYU
CCNY was the real deal a long time ago.
National Champions.