What should Boeheim do with the PG situation/lack of production? | Syracusefan.com

What should Boeheim do with the PG situation/lack of production?

TheGov3304

Scout Team
Point guard play is crucial in the ACC, where do we go from here?

Gillon shooting 41.8% from the floor, and Frank shooting 35.7%.

upload_2017-1-3_10-6-28.png

That article tells all...the lack of consistency is truly amazing. Night and Day

PG - Battle
SG - White
SF - Lydon
PF - Roberson
C - TT

What the hell, why not

Just get rid of the issue altogether, hmmm, seems logical...Jim will not put Lydon at the 3 though that's the only thing. Too much dysfunction when he is at the 3.

What is killing the program we have ZERO PG commits for 2017-18.
I mean we practically begging Ayala to reclassify and will probably hit the 5th year waiver wire again but next year we have 2 guards right now Howard and Battle.

Would we be in a better place this year if we had the junior year of Joseph? I'm leaning towards yes.
Statistically not so great on paper but has he gotten any better from Soph to Junior?

Would we be in a better place this year if we had the junior year of Joseph? I'm leaning towards yes.
Statistically not so great on paper but has he gotten any better from Soph to Junior?

Hard to argue with that

Maybe? I don't think so though. When G was made the starting PG, JAB said that if Howard had been in the same class as Joseph, Frank would have started at PG that year over Kaleb.

Joseph apparently didn't do anything to endear himself to the staff from the moment he stepped on campus.

PG - Battle
SG - White
SF - Lydon
PF - Roberson
C - TT

What the hell, why not
Battle is the only guy in that lineup with good secondary ball handling skills, and you want to see him run the point with that group against a legitimate team?

Last edited:
Battle is the only guy in that lineup with good secondary ball handling skills, and you want him to see him run the point with that group against a legitimate team?

what's the difference between that and what we're doing now? We have zero point guards between Gillon, Howard, and Battle, and about 1.5 ballhandlers between the 3 of them.

what's the difference between that and what we're doing now? We have zero point guards between Gillon, Howard, and Battle, and about 1.5 ballhandlers between the 3 of them.
The difference would probably be a hell of a lot more turnovers and easy baskets going the other way. You'd have four guys playing something other than their best or natural position.

I think we can cross off switching Lydon back to 3 and White back to 2, given how ineffectual both players were at those positions. JB's comments on both of those situations seems to reinforce that they will stay at 4 / 3, respectively:

Boeheim said he made the move to get Lydon, a 6-9 sophomore, more time at power forward. Lydon had started the first six games of the season at small forward.

"Tyler Lydon has to play the four,'' Boeheim said. "He's not effective at the three. I thought Roberson gave us some good play and Taurean as well. If Tyler Lydon doesn't play the three, then Dajuan isn't going to play or one of those guys is not going to play.''

Even White has seen his role change. He began the year as the starting two-guard, but he's now spending most of his time at small forward.

"Andrew's also more effective at the three than he is at the two,'' Boeheim said. "That's really it.''

Last edited:
The scarier part is the large probability that our starting 5 next year will be: Frank, Ayala, Battle, Thompson and Chukwu.
Moyer and the frosh sprinkled in. Now if battle leaves.... woah

The difference would probably be a hell of a lot more turnovers and easy baskets going the other way. You'd have four guys playing something other than their best or natural position.

and that's different then what's happening now?

Yup. And we've already seen what happens when certain players play out of position, and are forced into attempting to do things that their skills set doesn't support them doing.

Not to mention, the ball handling / passing in that lineup would be god-awful.

Last edited:
and that's different then what's happening now?
Yes. Hard to believe it could be worse, but it certainly could be if you put that lineup out there for any stretch of time.

Yes. Hard to believe it could be worse, but it certainly could be if you put that lineup out there for any stretch of time.

I think we could put the walkons out there and not notice much of a difference.

Point guard play is crucial in the ACC, where do we go from here?

Gillon shooting 41.8% from the floor, and Frank shooting 35.7%.

View attachment 85908
and in both cases the numbers are even worse against even semi-quality opponents.

at this point, shooting is immaterial. The only thing to do is to work with them every day in practice and get them better at defense & running the offense. Hopefully have a semblance of competence by the time the NIT rolls around.

and in both cases the numbers are even worse against even semi-quality opponents.

at this point, shooting is immaterial. The only thing to do is to work with them every day in practice and get them better at defense & running the offense. Hopefully have a semblance of competence by the time the NIT rolls around.

I agree that shooting is down the list as far as immediate concern, however, we need some sort of offensive production from the point guard spot so that we aren't playing 4 V 5 every game.