What the heck is going on with Oshae's offensive game? | Syracusefan.com

What the heck is going on with Oshae's offensive game?

Eric15

Living Legend
He is on pace to be the single most inefficient scorer of the Boeheim era. This is unprecedented.

His last 11 games: 5-18, 3-13, 5-13, 7-12, 6-17, 4-11, 4-13, 3-11, 5-11, 5-16, 3-15. That is only two games anywhere in the vicinity of 50% from the field. What type of shooting percentages did he have in high school? Is this abnormal, or is this who he is basically?

I'm really going to be upset if he gets drafted on potential and we never get to experience a sophomore OB that figures out how to finish around the rim.

(I know he's a very good rebounder. This thread is purely regarding his offense.)

He is on pace to be the single most inefficient scorer of the Boeheim era. This is unprecedented.

His last 11 games: 5-18, 3-13, 5-13, 7-12, 6-17, 4-11, 4-13, 3-11, 5-11, 5-16, 3-15. That is only two games anywhere in the vicinity of 50% from the field. What type of shooting percentages did he have in high school? Is this abnormal, or is this who he is basically?

I'm really going to be upset if he gets drafted on potential and we never get to experience a sophomore OB that figures out how to finish around the rim.

(I know he's a very good rebounder. This thread is purely regarding his offense.)

It’s troubling because he’s kind of in no-man’s land right now: not a good enough shooter, but too weak to finish strong around the basket.

But as the third option behind Battle and Howard he shouldn’t have a TON of pressure. IMO he puts himself in bad position to score by dribbling too much. He’s a much better give and go guy at this point. He can’t create his own shot yet.

I agree. Kid REALLY needs another year of seasoning.

He also needs to stop shooting threes and focus on developing his mid-range and inside game. Go inside-out. Why does it seem to me he’s chucking because he feels like he needs to audition for the NBA this year?

He also needs to stop shooting threes and focus on developing his mid-range and inside game. Go inside-out. Why does it seem to me he’s chucking because he feels like he needs to audition for the NBA this year?
I'm fine with him shooting open 3s, and JB seems to be too - he's got a good stroke - it's in the paint/finishing or at least getting fouled is what he needs to improve on

Scary part is how badly he misses some shots. Big oshae fan but dude misses the rim on contested layups

He’s still learning how to finish through contact, but yeah, it’s turned into an issue.

I'm fine with him shooting open 3s, and JB seems to be too - he's got a good stroke - it's in the paint/finishing or at least getting fouled is what he needs to improve on

The thing is he contorts his body so much to avoid the contact, but what he needs to do is go right at the basket and absorb the contact. That also makes it a lot easier to call a foul on the defender.

I think he would benefit from stopping and pivoting on occasions once he gets so deep in the lane. He's been forcing his up and under scoop shots, or just tossing it up at the rim while surrounded by multiple defenders.

It also hasn't helped that no one has cleared out of the lane on his drives to make more room for him. Or that no one seems to move to an open area where they can be seen once their defenders have left them to help on OB's drives.

I think it's fairly easy to see that in HS he dominated on physical ability.

He had high point totals for us early on because the refs were calling fouls and he was getting to the line. He has proven to be a very good FT shooter.

Once they started calling less fouls/we started playing bigger teams - he is becoming less reliable.

JB had said a few weeks ago that OB is a much better shooter than he is showing, but he has been a much better rebounder than they thought. His 3pt shooting looks better, but now when he attacks the basket he just looks out of control. He is not really being bailed out by foul calls anymore.

But let's remember, when's the last time we had a really good scorer from the 3/4 spots as a freshman? JB's offense is guard oriented. I guess you could say Malachi, but he was really a guard playing the 3 out of necessity. Lydon was an elite spot up shooter so it's hard to count him. CJ, Southerland, KrisJo, etc. all took at least a year or 2 to develop a consistent offensive game.

On a good team, OB is a 4th scoring option. Man, if he stays next year, I think he'll be a monster. Carey, Bazley, Frank, OB...

He’s in a role that he’s not ready for, because we’ve got nobody else.

On a typical Cuse team he’s getting 5 ppg and 4 rpg in 12 mpg and we’re all going nuts about how good he’s going to be in the future when he’s a starter.

He’s in a role that he’s not ready for, because we’ve got nobody else.

On a typical Cuse team he’s getting 5 ppg and 4 rpg in 12 mpg and we’re all going nuts about how good he’s going to be in the future when he’s a starter.

Very true. Great point. A freshman CJ Fair.

OB is close to putting up double figures every game. dude is a stud for this program. our offense sucks and has sucked for about 7 years. with that being said, when he develops a consistent outside shot and mid range game he's borderline lottery pick (next year)

Gee, doesn’t the NBA draft players that can put the ball in the hole more than 25%?

It’s troubling because he’s kind of in no-man’s land right now: not a good enough shooter, but too weak to finish strong around the basket.
Huh? Too weak? He's probably as well-built as any true freshman not named Paul Harris we've had here in recent history.

upload_2018-1-6_20-55-43.png

too hard to judge him. we are playing 3v5 on offense most of the time, and 1 of the three is frank howard.

Huh? Too weak? He's probably as well-built as any true freshman not named Paul Harris we've had here in recent history.

View attachment 119005
yeah it's not "weak" per se, but he does attack the basket pretty weakly - in fact I wouldn't say he even attacks the basket anymore - and yet he can't seem to hit any midrange shots either - as someone else posted (maybe above, or another thread), his offensive game is sort of a no-man's land right now. gawd I hope he turns that around

yeah it's not "weak" per se, but he does attack the basket pretty weakly - in fact I wouldn't say he even attacks the basket anymore - and yet he can't seem to hit any midrange shots either - as someone else posted (maybe above, or another thread), his offensive game is sort of a no-man's land right now. gawd I hope he turns that around
No doubt he's terrible at driving to the basket and finishing. Just don't think it has anything to do with physical strength.

OB should be a guy who does nothing but rebound, play tough defense and get garbage baskets. Only shooting from the outside on rare occasions. Unfortunately, we don't have that luxury. I can't believe this team went 11-2 in non-conference play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom