What the heck is going on? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What the heck is going on?

I believe we are going to win every game prior to it. But big picture, I'm where you are.

Things need to go right, we need some key injuries and weird turmoil in some of our bigger games. We can't afford a let down in the 3 winnable OOC games. And we need to win some of the gritty games vs Pitt, NC State, Wake and BC. History says we'll win one of those - I'd like to only lose one of those ;)

Agreed. I still have my season tickets. I still drive up from Jersey. I'll probably even put some money on the over now that I can here in NJ. If push comes to shove, I can't say with any confidence that SU is bowl bound until they actually achieve it. I guess my belief needs that piece of evidence.

I started to write a quick response, and it developed, so I'm starting over.

We will go into Kalamazoo and stomp WMU...

This team has grown in Babers' system. Our Sr's, by and large, were thrown into the fire pit during their FR year. They have a ton of game experience. We're deeper and more experienced than we've been since 2012. There was too much shake-up in between staff's that created that volatility. That's why consistency, or keeping the staff together, is so important.

We have plenty of weapons, young and old, offensively. We're experienced in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Flat out, it's time to roll.

I can see scenario's where we approach double digit wins. It is absolutely imperative that we get off to a fast start in order for that to happen. If we stumble through the NC slate, this season will be closer to .500.

Football is unlike any other game in that I think momentum carries huge weight. If a team gets off to a good start, it sets the tone for the entire season. Stumble, and it's a bear to climb back out.

We're going to turn heads this year.

Say whaa???

Direct from Dino's mouth -- defense may be better than offense, which is a first from our offensive minded coach.

We have a much better DE unit than in recent seasons -- likely to see improved QB pressures and edge containment. The big story is not Dungey as much as improvement in both lines.

If there isn't even any people on the Syracusefan board that want to stick their neck out and project the Orange to have a break out year, why would anyone think writers in the national media would? Syracuse will run the table at the Dome and go 4-2 on the road. Having said that, the WMU game worries me. No brain farts against Lester, he's just another coach of another team that that needs an L.

I'm not worried about Lester. We're not the same team he left.

Any season predictions has to include a stomping of WMU to start the season. We HAVE to get out of the blocks in a convincing fashion. Based on the personnel and lack of injuries in game 1, i expect a 38 pt game for the Orange that day. That will tell me alot how we are ready to roll and how we've been coached if we put together a solid effort in game #1.

Shafer honestly lost me in that Villanova game a few years back that we had to scrape together an OT win. we were completely ill prepared for them after an entire off season.

Any season predictions has to include a stomping of WMU to start the season. We HAVE to get out of the blocks in a convincing fashion. Based on the personnel and lack of injuries in game 1, i expect a 38 pt game for the Orange that day. That will tell me alot how we are ready to roll and how we've been coached if we put together a solid effort in game #1.

Shafer honestly lost me in that Villanova game a few years back that we had to scrape together an OT win. we were completely ill prepared for them after an entire off season.

Shafer was usually ill prepared for all games

I'm not worried about Lester. We're not the same team he left.
WMU is kind of an elite G5, a mini Boise. Lester is kind of like Shafer, still some emotional attachments.

WMU is kind of an elite G5, a mini Boise. Lester is kind of like Shafer, still some emotional attachments.
Not sure I ever bought the emotional attachment stuff. Our team came out soft against a veteran MTSU and got handled.

Shafer was usually ill prepared for all games
That Nova team was an FCS National Championship level team. Like James Madison or North Dakota State, those teams can beat G5 and P5 teams. And we lost our starting QB in that game.

Not sure I ever bought the emotional attachment stuff. Our team came out soft against a veteran MTSU and got handled.
People are emotional. They need to hang a picture of Scott smoking that cigar and ask if they they want to see Tim smoking one.

Reactions: FAL
Not sure I ever bought the emotional attachment stuff. Our team came out soft against a veteran MTSU who had an NFL-quality QB and got handled.

FIFY.

Having an elite experienced talent at QB can help an otherwise underdog team spring an upset.
See: Dungey vs Clemson.

Their guy got hurt in like the very next game, so their season record wasn’t very impressive - it’s hard to win games w/o your stud QB.
See: no Dungey vs all those other teams.

This team has grown in Babers' system. Our Sr's, by and large, were thrown into the fire pit during their FR year. They have a ton of game experience. We're deeper and more experienced than we've been since 2012. There was too much shake-up in between staff's that created that volatility. That's why consistency, or keeping the staff together, is so important.

We have plenty of weapons, young and old, offensively. We're experienced in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

I can see scenario's where we approach double digit wins. It is absolutely imperative that we get off to a fast start in order for that to happen. If we stumble through the NC slate, this season will be closer to .500.

Football is unlike any other game in that I think momentum carries huge weight. If a team gets off to a good start, it sets the tone for the entire season. Stumble, and it's a bear to climb back out.

AD JW told me just a few weeks ago that this offseason 4 coaches were being poached by other schools, and SU stepped up to keep them. The exception being Lewis, but he left for a HC job. He understands the importance of continuity in the coaching staff as well.

AD JW told me just a few weeks ago that this offseason 4 coaches were being poached by other schools, and SU stepped up to keep them. The exception being Lewis, but he left for a HC job. He understands the importance of continuity in the coaching staff as well.
say the word and i’ll bring Monroe the bag

Damn You...I buy into this every summer and then get kicked in nads every oct/nov : )

I took my girlfriend at the time (now wife) to that game. It was the first game she attended with me and my season tickets. She said to me after the game "why are you so upset? They won?!? It was also a very exciting finish." I explained that this was such a bad omen for the rest of the season that we should have lost to Nova...I mean that kicker BLEW a short field goal. I kept trying to justify it as Nova was undefeated that year. The QB for them looked like the best player on field. It was an absolute killer.

Starting strong means so much!

Dungey is the most impoverished man’s tebow.

Now give him a running game and less drops and lets see the prophecy fulfilled.

We run on ACC teams we will do good this year

Lewis needs to prove his stock at Akron so we have a go to guy in case big money comes after the Dino someday.

The O flashed last year. Think the key will be the running game. Most experienced line in years, open up some decent holes get those 4-5 yards on first down and everything opens up. Once we can force teams to play us honest look out. I see 6-7 wins this year and breakout next year.

If there isn't even any people on the Syracusefan board that want to stick their neck out and project the Orange to have a break out year, why would anyone think writers in the national media would? Syracuse will run the table at the Dome and go 4-2 on the road. Having said that, the WMU game worries me. No brain farts against Lester, he's just another coach of another team that that needs an L.
Lester knows Dungey...just like Shafer did...

If this team is gonna get to 6-6 they cannot mess up against WMU, Wagner, and UCONN. They mess up any one of those games and chances for bowling go down to prayers.

When was the last time Syracuse won 3 conference games? 2012? It's been 2 conference wins each year under Babers. 3 wins for this year's team is definitely doable, but again they cannot mess up in non-conference

Now that's more like it. Let's start acting like the big boys instead of watching every other program do it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom