what the hell is wrong with you people | Syracusefan.com

what the hell is wrong with you people

moqui

generational talent
My guess is that the depression is mainly from the fact that UConn advanced and we did not. If UConn had gone out early, things would not be so morose around here. Personally, I think it is hilarious that three of the four teams that have been bagged on most on this forum made the final four (UConn, UK and Wiscy - the 4th being Pitt). But that is because I don't think my favorite team's identity is tied to what others accomplish. I love Syracuse basketball because I love Syracuse basketball; success by rivals does not diminish that (or me).

I look at next year and I am excited.

PG Joseph
SG Cooney
Backup both: Patterson

SF Gbinije
PF McCullough
Backup both: Roberson

C Roc
Backup Chino

Redshirt Coleman

Assume a normal development pattern for everyone. Roberson will become the stud 6th man that was lacking this year when JG had to move into the starting lineup. Team will suffer early growing pains but should develop into a strong unit by the end of the season because there is a boatload of raw talent and a basketball genius on the sidelines.

Taken in a vacuum and not knowing what every other team in the land will do, there is no reason to look at this roster and not think 2nd weekend.

I hear ya moqui.
It's just the triple-whammy gut punch of early tourney exit, Ennis and now Grant (and yeah, ucon being in the final 4 doesn't help) - that's a miserable end to the season right there.
Next October I'll be excited like I am for the beginning of every SU season. But right now it's not real fun being an SU hoops fan.

I agree with pretty much everything you said about next years team. Just because many of the players didn't get much playing time this year does not mean they won't improve and let's not forget many of these kids were highly recruited. Yeah this team will probably struggle a bit but the amount of young talent and athletes we have make it exciting.

I hear ya moqui.
It's just the triple-whammy gut punch of early tourney exit, Ennis and now Grant (and yeah, ucon being in the final 4 doesn't help) - that's a miserable end to the season right there.
Next October I'll be excited like I am for the beginning of every SU season. But right now it's not real fun being an SU hoops fan.
maybe its easier for me because I expected them both to go (and applaud them for doing so)

I don't agree. I think this team will struggle to earn a bid to the tourney. And I'm okay with that. What I'm not okay with is having Joseph and McCullough quitting school for a slim chance at being drafted after the season. But I'm sure you will applaud them for it.

Yes, but what about BJ? Moqui, you don't think he will get much run?

My guess is that the depression is mainly from the fact that UConn advanced and we did not. If UConn had gone out early, things would not be so morose around here. Personally, I think it is hilarious that three of the four teams that have been bagged on most on this forum made the final four (UConn, UK and Wiscy - the 4th being Pitt). But that is because I don't think my favorite team's identity is tied to what others accomplish. I love Syracuse basketball because I love Syracuse basketball; success by rivals does not diminish that (or me).

PG Joseph
SG Cooney

SF Gbinije
PF McCullough

C Roc
Backup Chino

Redshirt Coleman

Assume a normal development pattern for everyone. Roberson will become the stud 6th man that was lacking this year when JG had to move into the starting lineup. Team will suffer early growing pains but should develop into a strong unit by the end of the season because there is a boatload of raw talent and a basketball genius on the sidelines.

Taken in a vacuum and not knowing what every other team in the land will do, there is no reason to look at this roster and not think 2nd weekend.

Well, you're just so much more mature than the rest of us.

Back in the early days of the conference, it used to kill me how Georgetown always had our number in the big games.

And in football, we were supposed to be Miami's rival, and then Virginia Tech and Beamer come along, and Michael Vick picks them and not us. People forget that we basically split with Va. Tech when they were in the conference, but they beat Miami far more often than we did, and so they became the number 2 team in the conference by public perception instead of us. That rubbed my ass, too.

So, yes, color me jealous of other teams over-achieving us, especially when we have talented teams that ought to be accomplishing more on paper.

I can understand the doom and gloom just can't understand the trashing of players and coaches who feel they can better their lives for moving on

There's no place for trashing people for their decision, but I didn't really see any personal attacks on anyone in this thread (or others, for that matter). I think the discussion has been pretty level headed about whether or not these kids are ready from a skills, strength and conditioning standpoint, and their personal decisions on whether or not to try for the NBA. I mean, the league is not going away, and this happens to be a very deep draft, so I don't see anything wrong with what's been said so far.

I can't speak for anyone else, but... I've only got one.

PG Joseph
SG Cooney

SF Gbinije
PF McCullough

C Roc
Backup Chino

Redshirt Coleman

I'm wit chu.

And when I say I 'm wit chu, I'm...wit...chu.

Lots of returning talent and always fun to see who makes that leap.

My money is on Roberson.

Yes, but what about BJ? Moqui, you don't think he will get much run?
History tells us that JB doesn't play more than 8 guys (and usually not that many). Admittedly, I don't have much to go on because he got so few minutes, but I don't see where he can get minutes. Third guard has to be able to play both positions and ideally so does the third forward. BJ is a pure wing, or at least that's the way it has looked to me.

moqui said:
My guess is that the depression is mainly from the fact that UConn advanced and we did not. If UConn had gone out early, things would not be so morose around here. Personally, I think it is hilarious that three of the four teams that have been bagged on most on this forum made the final four (UConn, UK and Wiscy - the 4th being Pitt). But that is because I don't think my favorite team's identity is tied to what others accomplish. I love Syracuse basketball because I love Syracuse basketball; success by rivals does not diminish that (or me). I look at next year and I am excited. PG Joseph SG Cooney Backup both: Patterson SF Gbinije PF McCullough Backup both: Roberson C Roc Backup Chino Redshirt Coleman Assume a normal development pattern for everyone. Roberson will become the stud 6th man that was lacking this year when JG had to move into the starting lineup. Team will suffer early growing pains but should develop into a strong unit by the end of the season because there is a boatload of raw talent and a basketball genius on the sidelines. Taken in a vacuum and not knowing what every other team in the land will do, there is no reason to look at this roster and not think 2nd weekend.

I thought UConn didn't mean anything to people here. Would we be so upset if Duke was in the Final 4? Why not? Interesting.

PG Joseph
SG Cooney

SF Gbinije
PF McCullough

C Roc
Backup Chino

Redshirt Coleman

so people aren't allowed to be disappointed? do you disagree that this season went from promising to crap in a hurry? now we likely lose the 3 best players on the team, and are pinning our hopes on all freshman. even if grant comes back there is not a proven player on this roster for next year.

At least we will have some age/experience with a few guys - and untapped talent/potential with others. May be a nice mix of the two:

PG: Joseph - Talent. Top 10 PG recruit at position where talented Frosh can be successful right away.

SG: Cooney - Age/Experience. Entering 4th year at SU (2nd as starter) & will be 22 years old.

SF: Gbinije - Age/Experience. Entering 4th year of college (3rd at SU) & will be 22 years old. (Also Talent - former top 10 SF recruit.)

PF: Roberson - Talent. Former top 10 PF recruit. [Wish he would have gotten more court time this past year to help further his development.]

C: Christmas - Age/Experience. Entering 4th year at SU (3rd year getting major/regular minutes) & will turn 23 years old during season. (Also Talent - former top 5 C recruit.)

Guard depth:

Patterson - Age/Experience. Will turn 22 years old during season. Preped at Brewster, high level school, and got major mins there. [Like Roberson, wish Patterson had seen more court time this season to help further his development.]

BJ Johnson - Talent. Top 20 SF recruit, but was more a "sleeper" to the recruiting services. [Like Roberson & Patterson, wish BJ would have experienced more playing time this past year to help further his development.]

Forward/Center depth:

McCullough - Talent. Top 5 (ish) PF recruit. Though immensely talented (athletically), have a feeling he is more "raw prospect/athlete" than "good basketball player", and thus, may not get as much playing time as expected. But, he is also older than most incoming Frosh too I believe?

Coleman - Talent. Top 5 (ish) C recruit. Hopefully recovery allows for Coleman to contribute later in year next year. (Also Age/Experience - Will be entering 3rd year at SU.)

History tells us that JB doesn't play more than 8 guys (and usually not that many). Admittedly, I don't have much to go on because he got so few minutes, but I don't see where he can get minutes. Third guard has to be able to play both positions and ideally so does the third forward. BJ is a pure wing, or at least that's the way it has looked to me.

3 guards, 3 forwards and 2 centers. That's usually the rotation, and if there is a specialty player (outside shooter, backup PG, etc.), they might be the 1/2 guy to make 8 1/2.

PG Joseph
SG Cooney

SF Gbinije
PF McCullough

C Roc
Backup Chino

Redshirt Coleman

I'm excited that your lineup has a small forward who isn't afraid of the 3 point line. Honestly, if we lose Grant I'd like to see us go this route. Either that or use G as the backup dual guard and get BJJ into the rotation as the 3 point shooter off the bench.

Not sure I understand your inclusion of Wisky in the list of teams we don't have "bagged on" the most--but the doom and gloom around here the last couple of weeks has indeed been ridiculous. We're going to get murdered next year! Where are all the JUCOs??? Everybody run for the exits!

I'll go on the record now and predict that Rak will surprise next year. He won't be the second coming of Big Rick Jackson or AO, and JB isn't going to reinvent the system by force-feeding the post every time down the floor. But I think the light is going to go on for him as he sees the end of the run coming. Also more confident than you about BJ. Looking forward to next season.

5 sentences
4 assumptions
1 implied assumption

1) UCon could fart fireworks and I wouldn't look twice. I'm still pissed we went home early.
2)We bag on everybody on this forum. It's part of what makes it fun. Wiscy isn't even top ten in that category.
3) People think this? I doubt it.
4) Nothing diminishes my love of Syracuse basketball. Nothing. I'd bet the farm 99.9% of people here feel the same.
5) I'm always excited for next season. Is someone here not?

PG Joseph
SG Cooney

SF Gbinije
PF McCullough

C Roc
Backup Chino

Redshirt Coleman

I applaud your optimism but when I look at that team I think on paper it is one of the worst teams we have ever had