what the hell is wrong with you people | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

what the hell is wrong with you people

Hate that a team ranked #1 in January, tanked in March.
Actually admire UConn's play with 2 quick guards, but hate that it isn't SU in final four.

Next year -- always love Orange basketball. Combination of kids and veterans. Many unknowns with big opportunities for Roberson, Johnson, Patterson along with the two frosh. Should be an exciting, young team, with better transition play, and lots of board debate about line-ups and rotations, and W-L predictions.

I guess we all better plan on forgetting about season tickets and traveling to games. Woe is me! Oh Lord
Yeah that is exactly what I meant. Because on paper they don't appear to be very good I will probably not watch any games. Maybe I will because a uk fan.

No depression here Kentucky Florida UConn all have Tremendous Programs. Syracuse had a nice season, we will be back.

I hate that we had a an All-American level senior forward, one of the best points in the country, another first-round forward and we managed to make an average JV basketball team's offense look great against the mighty... Dayton.

Why would anything be different next year when we won't be as good on paper? I don't see Carmelo 2.0 walking through the Carmelo center's doors next year.

People are excited about Tyler "the Beast" Roberson? If his potential improvement into legitimate threat makes you that excited then it should also make you extremely depressed. He will either be just slightly better next year (which will be disappointing) and he wasn't "Boeheimed" or he will be awesome, thus proving that he was in fact "Boeheimed" (which will be disappointing). How can that make you optimistic going forward?

Does anyone really believe MCW improved so much from going to several DNPs in his freshmen year to Final Four to NBA ROY caliber? I don't it with Roberson, either. Good thing Ennis left, Joseph might never had left the bench...

I certainly agree with you, moqui. It drives me nuts how fans are writing this team off for next year. Does it suck Ennis and Grant are leaving? Obviously. But how often has the cupboard really ever been bare here?

One thing I don't think people are taking into account is the fact that Cooney will have his legs for a full season. I honestly don't believe people understand that he barely played for 2 years, and that leads to dead legs when you're suddenly playing so many minutes. He will have his legs under him next year, and I think he will be a more consistent shooter for it.

I gotta disagree with the OP. 2nd round exit and im upset regardless who wins the rest of the games. I, for one, have not watched or followed any of the games after the loss until I was told who was in the final 4. In years past I did, but for whatever reason went back to the more important things in my life once the Cuse was out.

I have nothing against the Badgers at all. I didnt notice a ton of hatred for them. Matter of fact, I am going to a Wisconsin bar named BADGERS today to root them on to take out KY. Not a ton of places outside that region where you can find a whole bar rooting against KY. Who knows, maybe I can build rapport with some strangers and make some friends.

I like underdogs too...so GO HUSKIES. Color me weird for wanting to see an ORIGINAL Big East team do well, a team that overcame every sort of problem that the arrogant on here mocked them for and said they would be irrelevant, while they hung out on the Boneyard(I love that name) and came back here and complained about what other fans were saying.

Anyhow, to reiterate, I've been downhearted baby, been downhearted ever since the day Syracuse met a 2nd round defeat and it has absolutely zero to do with who is left. Im much happier it isnt the usual Duke/UNC. And yes, losing our 3 best players(2 of which arent ready) to the NBA is just rubbing salt in the wounds.

I gotta disagree with the OP. 2nd round exit and im upset regardless who wins the rest of the games. I, for one, have not watched or followed any of the games after the loss until I was told who was in the final 4. In years past I did, but for whatever reason went back to the more important things in my life once the Cuse was out.

I have nothing against the Badgers at all. I didnt notice a ton of hatred for them. Matter of fact, I am going to a Wisconsin bar named BADGERS today to root them on to take out KY. Not a ton of places outside that region where you can find a whole bar rooting against KY. Who knows, maybe I can build rapport with some strangers and make some friends.

I like underdogs too...so GO HUSKIES. Color me weird for wanting to see an ORIGINAL Big East team do well, a team that overcame every sort of problem that the arrogant on here mocked them for and said they would be irrelevant, while they hung out on the Boneyard(I love that name) and came back here and complained about what other fans were saying.

Anyhow, to reiterate, I've been downhearted baby, been downhearted ever since the day Syracuse met a 2nd round defeat and it has absolutely zero to do with who is left. Im much happier it isnt the usual Duke/UNC. And yes, losing our 3 best players(2 of which arent ready) to the NBA is just rubbing salt in the wounds.
I thought a "Boneyard" was the open air area behind any bar in the Castro.

It may be, and if so thats where a number of members on here hang out frequently and come back dismayed. I wonder if either of these boneyards are talking about Syracuse now?

I think there will be games where Xmas & chino can not last the entire game, due to foul issues. I am concerned that this could happen in as many as a quarter of the games. You would have to think that Roberson or McCullough would be forced into a few minutes at the center position.

If, and that is definitely an if with this caveat, BJ can become somewhat consistent from the 3. (approx. 32-35% range) I think, because of the potential problems filling all the minutes at the center position, along with the need for additional shooters, BJ can get minutes, despite the number squeeze. He has to be able to get that consistency, and understand the defense. That will be on him, and I am confident that he can that.

Maybe he can be the 0.5 in an 8.5 rotation. Though, honestly, I think opponent and who is hot will dictate who gets the limited run in games. But i really think that people are over-estimating the ability of 2 centers to last the entire game. I will be surprised if Chino has 10 minutes in him, consistently.

I don't think my favorite team's identity is tied to what others accomplish. I love Syracuse basketball because I love Syracuse basketball; success by rivals does not diminish that (or me).

I look at next year and I am excited.
Good stuff, sir.

Unfortunately, it doesn't take much to bring the whining, entitled, paranoid, hand-wringing, front-running SU basketball fans out of the weeds. This time around there are just more issues to draw them out.

As for me, I'll continue to enjoy the journey that it each season, and always remind myself that many of our most satisfying runs came in what many were certain would be "down" years.

I certainly agree with you, moqui. It drives me nuts how fans are writing this team off for next year. Does it suck Ennis and Grant are leaving? Obviously. But how often has the cupboard really ever been bare here?

One thing I don't think people are taking into account is the fact that Cooney will have his legs for a full season. I honestly don't believe people understand that he barely played for 2 years, and that leads to dead legs when you're suddenly playing so many minutes. He will have his legs under him next year, and I think he will be a more consistent shooter for it.
1. SU basketball fans in the Boeheim era have no concept of a bare cupboard.
2. Cooney is an all-ACC level talent.

cuseguy said:
I thought UConn didn't mean anything to people here. Would we be so upset if Duke was in the Final 4? Why not? Interesting.

It's one year out.

In 5 years (max), the UConn talk will be maybe 10% of what it is today. Out of sight out of mind is still a process.

People would be losing their minds if Duke was in the Final 4.

It's one year out.

In 5 years (max), the UConn talk will be maybe 10% of what it is today. Out of sight out of mind is still a process.

People would be losing their minds if Duke was in the Final 4.

Kids entering SU now will have no idea about UConn. Kinda like Penn State after 1990. Time marches on.

It's better to struggle early in the season, if this is indeed what next year's team does, than to struggle late in the year and tournament, what this past year's team did. So, guess I'm looking forward to next year's crew too. A little mystery to the team - ought to be fun.

I don't agree. I think this team will struggle to earn a bid to the tourney. And I'm okay with that. What I'm not okay with is having Joseph and McCullough quitting school for a slim chance at being drafted after the season. But I'm sure you will applaud them for it.

I don't think you should fault the kids for taking their chance whenever they want to. Rather I think you should fault the system and I'm talking about the college system that allows itself to serve as the minor league for the NBA. If you don't want kids to go pro when they want to on their own timeline, then the rules should be tweaked so that it establishes a greater disincentive for colleges to take on kids that are only there for the one year of exposure.

Ask the question why do we have a system that forces kids who want to be professional basketball players to go act like they are trying to get a college degree for a year in order to pursue their professional dream? For the most part, the one and dones or even two year players aren't really pursuing a degree.

My guess is that the depression is mainly from the fact that UConn advanced and we did not. If UConn had gone out early, things would not be so morose around here. Personally, I think it is hilarious that three of the four teams that have been bagged on most on this forum made the final four (UConn, UK and Wiscy - the 4th being Pitt). But that is because I don't think my favorite team's identity is tied to what others accomplish. I love Syracuse basketball because I love Syracuse basketball; success by rivals does not diminish that (or me).

I look at next year and I am excited.

PG Joseph
SG Cooney
Backup both: Patterson

SF Gbinije
PF McCullough
Backup both: Roberson

C Roc
Backup Chino

Redshirt Coleman

Assume a normal development pattern for everyone. Roberson will become the stud 6th man that was lacking this year when JG had to move into the starting lineup. Team will suffer early growing pains but should develop into a strong unit by the end of the season because there is a boatload of raw talent and a basketball genius on the sidelines.

Taken in a vacuum and not knowing what every other team in the land will do, there is no reason to look at this roster and not think 2nd weekend.

No doubt, we'll be good next year. I'll be shocked if we don't make the NCAAT but making the second weekend will be tough as it always is.

What concerns me is the same thing that concerned me this year: no "legit" backup point guard. Gbinije, Cooney, and Patterson didn't play that position in high school - at least not primarily - and they just don't have the skills to be a well-rounded PG in my opinion.

When Ennis momentarily went down at Pitt with a hand/wrist injury I was holding my breath because of our backup situation, luckily it turned out to be minor. I wish next year we weren't faced with the exact same thing.

I don't think you should fault the kids for taking their chance whenever they want to. Rather I think you should fault the system and I'm talking about the college system that allows itself to serve as the minor league for the NBA. If you don't want kids to go pro when they want to on their own timeline, then the rules should be tweaked so that it establishes a greater disincentive for colleges to take on kids that are only there for the one year of exposure.

Ask the question why do we have a system that forces kids who want to be professional basketball players to go act like they are trying to get a college degree for a year in order to pursue their professional dream? For the most part, the one and dones or even two year players aren't really pursuing a degree.
Who is faulting the kids for taking their chance whenever they want to? I'm a supporter of Syracuse University basketball so it seems to be natural that I don't like when kids leave before their eligibility is expired because I like to see SU have the best team possible. Doesn't mean I "fault" the players for leaving school when they don't want to be at school anymore. They can do what they want.

I have nothing against the Badgers at all. I didnt notice a ton of hatred for them.

whenever the Pomeroy ratings were discussed (which was often), Wisconsin was always bagged on as proof that the ratings were worthless. There style of play was frequently (and mistakenly) disparaged. It was probably a small group of posters more than the group as a whole, but it has been a regular theme for the last few seasons.

Chip said:
It's one year out. In 5 years (max), the UConn talk will be maybe 10% of what it is today. Out of sight out of mind is still a process. People would be losing their minds if Duke was in the Final 4.

Are you serious? Lmao. They're in the tittle game with a young fresh coach. They're going to keep scheduling a solid schedule and be on tv. They're not going to be irrelevant.

Are you serious? Lmao. They're in the tittle game with a young fresh coach. They're going to keep scheduling a solid schedule and be on tv. They're not going to be irrelevant.

I don't get why people can't understand this.

Soon to be 4 championships in 15 years. They aren't a mid major.

I don't get why people can't understand this.

Soon to be 4 championships in 15 years. They aren't a mid major.

UNLV had 1 NC and 2 0ther final fours in a 5 season stretch (1986/87 - 1990/91). We'll see if storz follows the runnin' rebels 20+ yrs of irrelevance since.

kirbivore said:
UNLV had 1 NC and 2 0ther final fours in a 5 season stretch (1986/87 - 1990/91). We'll see if storz follows the runnin' rebels 20+ yrs of irrelevance since.

NCAA violations had a lot to do with that.

I'm excited for the return of Syracuse Orangemen football.