What to expect from Orange's 3 freshmen (Syracuse basketball player forecasts) | Syracusefan.com

What to expect from Orange's 3 freshmen (Syracuse basketball player forecasts)

What I would have liked to see:

Carey's handle.
There was lots of transition scoring and he uses both arms but I would have liked to see more breaking down his man in the half court including crossover, spin move, step back, or fancy dribble. Does not remind me of Waiters. Waiters was a creative bull.
Buddy's all around skills.
The video was all set-shot pull-ups. I would have liked to see shooting off the dribble, breaking down his man, step back or side step, driving and passing. For a Rautins comparison I would have liked to see a thread the needle pass. Rautins had eagle eyes.
Braswell. where is the video?

Everyone is excited about these three and probably rightfully so but if any of them have an immediate impact I will be pleasantly surprised. These youngins are works in progress. People should not expect finished products like the child prodigies that are the top 5 or 10 rated frosh. They will need time to develop and expand. I am still optimistic about next years team. Our strength will be the improved returning players, Hughes, and a healthy Sibide. I expect a 7 1/2 man rotation with Washington being the 1/2 unless he redshirts.

Carey's handle.
There was lots of transition scoring and he uses both arms but I would have liked to see more breaking down his man in the half court including crossover, spin move, step back, or fancy dribble. Does not remind me of Waiters. Waiters was a creative bull.
The video was all set-shot pull-ups. I would have liked to see shooting off the dribble, breaking down his man, step back or side step, driving and passing. For a Rautins comparison I would have liked to see a thread the needle pass. Rautins had eagle eyes.

Everyone is excited about these three and probably rightfully so but if any of them have an immediate impact I will be pleasantly surprised. These youngins are works in progress. People should not expect finished products like the child prodigies that are the top 5 or 10 rated frosh. They will need time to develop and expand. I am still optimistic about next years team. Our strength will be the improved returning players, Hughes, and a healthy Sibide. I expect a 7 1/2 man rotation with Washington being the 1/2 unless he redshirts.
Washington is Waaaaaaay behind Carey.

Carey's handle.

Good luck finding Braswell videos. They were few and far between the last time I looked.

I don't get the comparison between Braswell and Southerland. One can jump out of the gym and is a spotty shooter. the other was a great shooter but not much of a leaper.

You think southerland wasnt a leaper? People really have forgotten how athletic he was?

come on..this dude is a state high jump champion. If southerland was as athletic as this kid, he didnt show it in games. compared to you and I Southerland was an insane athlete. im comparing him to D1 athletes.

Last edited:
Washington is Waaaaaaay behind Carey.
Hopefully we will see a big leap physically for Washington but he might not even see the court. Nothing against HW but he is the 4th guard in a three guard rotation. Same with Buddy. Maybe I am wrong, but I can't see Buddy getting many minutes either. When Oshae sits, I wouldn't be surprised to see Battle, Howard and Carey on the floor at the same time. Hopefully Battle will show that he can play the wing on defense.

Hopefully we will see a big leap physically for Washington but he might not even see the court. Nothing against HW but he is the 4th guard in a three guard rotation. Same with Buddy. Maybe I am wrong, but I can't see Buddy getting many minutes either. When Oshae sits, I wouldn't be surprised to see Battle, Howard and Carey on the floor at the same time. Hopefully Battle will show that he can play the wing on defense.

Hopefully HW can realize the benefit of redshirting and get his game/body/mind right cause I think he has a key role to play in future seasons. Just not this one.

And is Hughes or Marek sitting when this happens?

Regarding Washington, he may seem barried in the chart... but we will always find playing time for great shooters. He just has to heal and fine tune like any other young player coming off an injury

Mookie Jones says HI - yet again.

Posters saying that over and over does NOT make it true.
Mookie was a career 40% from 3 - how much playing time did he ever find? :rolleyes:
There were other reasons why Mookie didn’t play.

come on..this dude is a state high jump champion. If southerland was as athletic as this kid, he didnt show it in games. compared to you and I Southerland was an insane athlete. im comparing him to D1 athletes.
High jump is about technique as much as it is leaping ability. I'm sure there are a lot of great athletic jumpers that would be horrible at high jump, if they ever tried it.

What to expect? I confidently expect far more Boeheiming this season than last.

Did Mike put that in any of his "What to expect" articles, particularly this one? Not a rhetorical, I havent read them.

7,000th (official) post. I feel kinda like Boeheim, lol.

What to expect? I confidently expect far more Boeheiming this season than last.

Did Mike put that in any of his "What to expect" articles, particularly this one? Not a rhetorical, I havent read them.

7,000th (official) post. I feel kinda like Boeheim, lol.
If you don't Boeheim your son, it makes it harder to Boeheim the rest.

High jump is about technique as much as it is leaping ability. I'm sure there are a lot of great athletic jumpers that would be horrible at high jump, if they ever tried it.

True, but if you are a great high jumper, you definitely have hops.

Missing the point...kid can pass off the dribble at the top of the key feeding down low like Magic. He does have an easy smooth stroke from outside.