What to expect from Oshae Brissett next season (Syracuse basketball player forecasts) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What to expect from Oshae Brissett next season (Syracuse basketball player forecasts)

Strange we had 3 guys who defenses keyed on last season, Brissett was one of those three. Yet he was constantly getting into the lane, getting to the rim and getting to the free throw line because of it. I don't see getting past defenders as an issue for him.

Givony has him going 33rd in the 2019 mock he just put out. 6 picks after Tyus. Think folks need a reality check when thinking he has any shot at 1st team All-American, I'm in agreement with Waters that his numbers might look the same next year as this past year but hopefully with a lot more efficiency.

Can't imagine that he is going to be taking more shots than Tyus and likely ends up with a similar amount as Frank but also getting to the line at a far higher rate. The only 2 players to make any of the 3 All-American teams this year that were under 17ppg were D.Graham and K.Guy, both PGs. Assuming that Tyus is the only one that is likely to be over that 17ppg threshold again, it is highly unlikely anyone else is reaching that number. To those that just assume that Oshae will get there too, go take a look at how often we have 2 guys over that threshold. I'll save you some time and tell you that it has occurred once this century (Hak/Gmac). Over the last decade or so we have avg'd right around 72ppg as well topping out at 76 and bottoming out last year at 66. So 72-74 next year is probably about right.

Imagine it will spread out in some fashion like this:
Tyus - 16ppg
Oshae - 15ppg
Frank - 10ppg
Hughes- 8ppg
Marek - 7ppg
Carey - 5ppg
Sidibe - 5ppg
Chukwu - 4ppg
Buddy/Braswell/Washington - 4ppg

That comes out to 74, it would be pretty dumb to believe we will end up any higher that another 2ppg at best, especially when our defense should be suffocating next year. Even if we end up a top 10 team in the country, there is pretty much a 0.0 shot that Oshae gets near any of the All-American teams. All-ACC 2nd or 3rd team is quite possible, especially if he is efficient and matches his rebound totals from this past season.

OB's Achilles's heel was his inability to finish. It was stunning! MCW is a more similar comp to me. Obvious physical talent, gets to the hoop, lousy 2pt shooting% and meh 3 pt% at the NCAA distance. Oshae is a very good SU college basketball player, but unless he can be more consistent than we see now, likely not a first round pick. Whats his premium skill? Some players simply cannot focus on "making the basket". Suggest we coach him up to Dunk EVERYTHING. Success making baskets, builds confidence. Once he efficiently lights the scoreboard, perhaps, only perhaps, he will obtain the confidence and the focus to finish opportunities.

Tyus 18
Brisset 15
Elijah 11
Frank 10
Carey 8
Sidibe 6
Chukwu 4
Bras/Buddy/washington 3

Is what I expect

Givony has him going 33rd in the 2019 mock he just put out. 6 picks after Tyus. Think folks need a reality check when thinking he has any shot at 1st team All-American, I'm in agreement with Waters that his numbers might look the same next year as this past year but hopefully with a lot more efficiency.

Can't imagine that he is going to be taking more shots than Tyus and likely ends up with a similar amount as Frank but also getting to the line at a far higher rate. The only 2 players to make any of the 3 All-American teams this year that were under 17ppg were D.Graham and K.Guy, both PGs. Assuming that Tyus is the only one that is likely to be over that 17ppg threshold again, it is highly unlikely anyone else is reaching that number. To those that just assume that Oshae will get there too, go take a look at how often we have 2 guys over that threshold. I'll save you some time and tell you that it has occurred once this century (Hak/Gmac). Over the last decade or so we have avg'd right around 72ppg as well topping out at 76 and bottoming out last year at 66. So 72-74 next year is probably about right.

Imagine it will spread out in some fashion like this:
Tyus - 16ppg
Oshae - 15ppg
Frank - 10ppg
Hughes- 8ppg
Marek - 7ppg
Carey - 5ppg
Sidibe - 5ppg
Chukwu - 4ppg
Buddy/Braswell/Washington - 4ppg

That comes out to 74, it would be pretty dumb to believe we will end up any higher that another 2ppg at best, especially when our defense should be suffocating next year. Even if we end up a top 10 team in the country, there is pretty much a 0.0 shot that Oshae gets near any of the All-American teams. All-ACC 2nd or 3rd team is quite possible, especially if he is efficient and matches his rebound totals from this past season.
If he averages 15 and 10 and shoots above 36% from three he’s going to get all american consideration on a ranked SU team. He’s a great free throw shooter who’s physical play effects how the opponent can play their lineups regardless of whether or not he finishes the play.

IF. That improvement in his perimeter play would be extraordinary. Considerations different than a lock.

If he averages 15 and 10 and shoots above 36% from three he’s going to get all american consideration on a ranked SU team. He’s a great free throw shooter who’s physical play effects how the opponent can play their lineups regardless of whether or not he finishes the play.

IF. That improvement in his perimeter play would be extraordinary. Considerations different than a lock.

I honestly still don't believe that would get him consideration if he's our #2 guy unless we are a dominant top 5 team. There's just too many good forwards in the country that are also on top 25 teams and are scoring 18-20 for Oshae to have a shot. Only PGs seem to make any of the All-American teams at under 17ppg.

Tyus 18
Brisset 15
Elijah 11
Frank 10
Carey 8
Sidibe 6
Chukwu 4
Bras/Buddy/washington 3

Is what I expect

Preseason acl tear for Marek?

Tyus 18
Brisset 15
Elijah 11
Frank 10
Carey 8
Sidibe 6
Chukwu 4
Bras/Buddy/washington 3

Is what I expect
You missed MD who'll be 8 ppg at least (which would put your estimate over 80). I agree that Frank may actually score less with JC coming in - but then again JC could easily score 10 ppg. Overall, I think you guys (Chugg21 too) are being appropriately cautious. But as I've posted, after doing a bunch of scoring projections, if our defense is even close to what it was last year, 80 ppg is not unrealistic. We have just as much size, more experience, a much deeper bench and more offensive weapons (Buddy, Hughes and Carey).

Last edited:
Strange we had 3 guys who defenses keyed on last season, Brissett was one of those three. Yet he was constantly getting into the lane, getting to the rim and getting to the free throw line because of it. I don't see getting past defenders as an issue for him.

completely agree.

we were 3 on 5 most of last season. and OB couldnt finish at the hoop.

OB improves that should be 1 pt per game for him.
Tyus wont shoot as much and he and frank will both see less minutes (good thing)
MD should only continue to improve on his last 7 games becoming a threat.
i doubt chukwu's hands and finishing can be worse so he'll be better.

Without anyone coming in - we are playing like 4.5 on 5 with the same lineup. That alone makes us a much better team.

Add in EH and JC and a healthier BS all of a sudden, we are really really good.

Anyone that doesnt have us in the top 10 is kidding themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom