What to expect this offseason to finish the class | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What to expect this offseason to finish the class

Well I look at it this way, between Villari and Shrader, whichever one isn’t starting, that’s an awfully athletic player just sitting on the bench. 6’4 230 and 6’4 235. That’s basically receiving TE size already.

Shrader is an athletic freak in the open field and Villari’s high school film looks the same.
They're both great offensive weapons, especially in the open field. I'm looking forward to how Anae & Beck will make use of them both. Perhaps Shrader, Villari, and Tucker all in the backfield used in various permutations? Who throws to who is less meaningful when the idea would be to get all three of them in the open field with ball in hand.

Pretty acute need at TE with Benson transferring. I had hoped Anae/Beck would create some recruiting juice with their success at this position. There are still opportunities but the window's narrowing.
After going back and looking through follows and posts there is a TE who visited that there is mutual following from Coach Johnson...but who knows.

Unfortunately there are not a lot of DL guys out there if any. And there are definitely no frontline DLine players. I’ll reiterate the need to look at the JUCO ranks as I’m sure they are. Losing Curtis Harper was a bigger deal than people made it out to be.

Probably be more apt to see us add a contributing TE.

Don’t know the status of these guys but it’s a list I put together.

DT Myles Tapusoa (Arizona) 6-3 325 3 star from Salt Lake City, UT
DT Chris Murray (TCU) 6-3 240 3 star from Wichita Falls, TX
DT Andy Boykin (Arkansas) 6-4 290 3 star from Lagrange, GA
DT Sincere David (Ole Miss) 6-3 300 3 star from Jacksonville, FL
DT Corey Suttle (Iowa State) 6-4 245 3 star from Jefferson City, MO
DT Jaquon Griffin (Georgia Tech) 6-0 276 3 star from Rome, GA
DT Gary Smith (Duke) 6-2 310 mid 3 star from Shelbyville, TN
DT Almosse Titi (Maryland) 6-3 310 3 star from Tampa, FL
DT Solomon Wright (Arkansas) 6-0 270 3 star from Vian, OK
DT Darel Middleton (Tennessee) 6-7 305 3 star from Oak Ridge, TN
Things change after spring ball as well.

Isnt the issue with JUCO that many of them had grade issues so you really have to make sure they will qualify before you sign them up.. If you sign them and they dont make it you lose the scholie.. There might be some Juco kids that we wont know about until 2 months from now when grades are solid.

Isnt the issue with JUCO that many of them had grade issues so you really have to make sure they will qualify before you sign them up.. If you sign them and they dont make it you lose the scholie.. There might be some Juco kids that we wont know about until 2 months from now when grades are solid.
I think the transfer portal is effecting both HS and JUCO recruitment. I think there will be less JUCOs recruited this cycle.

I think the transfer portal is effecting both HS and JUCO recruitment. I think there will be less JUCOs recruited this cycle.
Transfer portal and the additional year that every player was granted in response to Covid absolutely affects HS and JUCO recruiting. Holding the scholarship limit at 85 while adding a year to the entire roster is causing a crunch that will not dissipate until the class of 2024 is signed.

By my math we have three open slots left on the roster and have only 5 players on the roster who are scheduled to exhaust their eligibility in the fall.

That's the case with a significant number of them.

Others might be there for exposure, and fully qualified -- meaning that they DON'T have to earn a JUCO degree to transfer "up" to D1.

That's the case with a significant number of them.

Others might be there for exposure, and fully qualified -- meaning that they DON'T have to earn a JUCO degree to transfer "up" to D1.
I think a lot of those type of kids prepped.

Transfer portal and the additional year that every player was granted in response to Covid absolutely affects HS and JUCO recruiting. Holding the scholarship limit at 85 while adding a year to the entire roster is causing a crunch that will not dissipate until the class of 2024 is signed.

By my math we have three open slots left on the roster and have only 5 players on the roster who are scheduled to exhaust their eligibility in the fall.
Your math is good. That's partly why I'm thinking that there will not be many, if any, kids transferring out of SU after Spring Practice.

Well I look at it this way, between Villari and Shrader, whichever one isn’t starting, that’s an awfully athletic player just sitting on the bench. 6’4 230 and 6’4 235. That’s basically receiving TE size already.

Shrader is an athletic freak in the open field and Villari’s high school film looks the same.
Yup. Anae/Beck have a long history of getting big, athletic QB2s on the field under the"FBP" position ("football player"). I anticipate them continuing that trend with Shrader and Villari.

Aren't there 7 players who contribute on a regular basis that will exhaust their eligibility this fall?
  1. Eric Coley, S
  2. Chris Elmore, FB/H-Back
  3. Andre Szmyt, K
  4. Darius Tisdale, OL
  5. Dakota Davis, OL
  6. Devaughn Cooper, WR
  7. Aaron Bolinsky, LS

Aren't there 7 players who contribute on a regular basis that will exhaust their eligibility this fall?
  1. Eric Coley, S
  3. Andre Szmyt, K
  4. Darius Tisdale, OL
  5. Dakota Davis, OL
  6. Devaughn Cooper, WR
  7. Aaron Bolinsky, LS
Haven't seen confirmation that Cooper has been put on scholarship. If he has, my current open number drops to two. I missed Bolinsky. Thanks.

Yup. Anae/Beck have a long history of getting big, athletic QB2s on the field under the"FBP" position ("football player"). I anticipate them continuing that trend with Shrader and Villari.
So to clarify what does that translate to in regards to what they did at Virginia? I have not seen the film. Is this a "get creative 2 or 3 times a game " thing or something that is more a staple of their offense showing multiple looks leveraging 2 QBs?

So to clarify what does that translate to in regards to what they did at Virginia? I have not seen the film. Is this a "get creative 2 or 3 times a game " thing or something that is more a staple of their offense showing multiple looks leveraging 2 QBs?
Google Keytaon Thompson as an example. Coincidentally, KT transferred to UVA from Mississippi State where he played...QB. KT was a QB his entire career. 6-4 210. Dynamic athlete. Named Second Team All-ACC in 2021, 78 receptions for 990 receiving yards and a TD. Rushed 39 times for 247 yards and 4 touchdowns; 1,237 all-purpose yards and 5 total TDs on the season. Used as a wildcat QB some, mostly played in the slot or on the wing; threw some passes. They moved him around.

Anae calls the position FBP (football player). He tries to get as many dynamic athletes on the field at the same time and uses them to do multiple things depending on their skill set. The FBPs are often big, athletic QBs.

From a previous post I made: "We feel those guys are really good athletes," said Anae. "Thats what we do when recruiting quarterbacks, first we look at for athleticism. If they are not the starting quarterback or in the quarterback spot, we find other things they can do, and we call them football guys." UVA used four current or former quarterbacks this past season: Brennan Armstrong, Ira Armstead, Jacob Rodriguez and Keytaon Thompson.

Anae and the QB Position

From a previous post I made: "We feel those guys are really good athletes," said Anae. "Thats what we do when recruiting quarterbacks, first we look at for athleticism. If they are not the starting quarterback or in the quarterback spot, we find other things they can do, and we call them football guys." UVA used four current or former quarterbacks this past season: Brennan Armstrong, Ira Armstead, Jacob Rodriguez and Keytaon Thompson.

Anae and the QB Position
Yeah when I brought up McDonald earlier I wasn’t really thinking of the QB position. I was thinking those two were likely QB1 and QB2 so wasn’t thinking that way. We all know it’s pretty likely we need more than one QB to get through the season and putting a QB at TE does make them more likely to get injured than sitting the bench. But I guess it does make sense assuming your fine with QB3 playing if called upon. I would think that either Vilarri or Shrader would obviously not be happy about being the starting QB but they are athletes that want to be in the mix so they would probably welcome playing “football player” instead of being sidelined. They could still obviously come in as the backup QB if an injury occurs. I think I like it but they would be getting much less reps at QB in practice being the downside.

Google Keytaon Thompson as an example. Coincidentally, KT transferred to UVA from Mississippi State where he played...QB. KT was a QB his entire career. 6-4 210. Dynamic athlete. Named Second Team All-ACC in 2021, 78 receptions for 990 receiving yards and a TD. Rushed 39 times for 247 yards and 4 touchdowns; 1,237 all-purpose yards and 5 total TDs on the season. Used as a wildcat QB some, mostly played in the slot or on the wing; threw some passes. They moved him around.

Anae calls the position FBP (football player). He tries to get as many dynamic athletes on the field at the same time and uses them to do multiple things depending on their skill set. The FBPs are often big, athletic QBs.

QB competition this Spring will be interesting. One of the runners-up is probably a candidate for FBP.

1. Eric Coley, S
  3. Andre Szmyt, K
  4. Darius Tisdale, OL
  5. Dakota Davis, OL
  6. Devaughn Cooper, WR
  7. Aaron Bolinsky, LS
Unfortunate reality is between now and next February we will probably see 8-12 players transfer, 1-2 DQ medically or academic, 1-2 just retire, and 2-3 enter draft.

So realistically probably add 12-18 more spots to the current 7, full class.

Yeah this is where I was going with it.

Haven't seen confirmation that Cooper has been put on scholarship. If he has, my current open number drops to two. I missed Bolinsky. Thanks.
It was still three with Bolinsky, per OXs numbers 60 returning, 17 commits and 5 transfers. Now with todays' commitment it leaves two open spots.

It was still three with Bolinsky, per OXs numbers 60 returning, 17 commits and 5 transfers. Now with todays' commitment it leaves two open spots.
Right. Missed Bolinsky as a player scheduled to exhaust eligibility in the fall.

The only thing with the number count is that in 2021 they only took a class of 23. If the rule is still true, they should have been able to backdate two of the early enrollees for this class to 2021. There would still be the 85 limit but it could mean two more scholarships available to give if someone would leave after spring practice. At least that's how it worked in the past.

So, if we just landed another DB -- looks like the key needs are now:

OL
DL
TE
WR

Coaches have done a great job replacing departures with better players via the portal. If they land a couple more from the list above, this off-season is about as close to a home run as you can get. Maybe a triple, since we didn't land Verse.

And then if they want to squeeze one or two more spots out of the class there is always the grayshirt option.

However many schools first ask new players to gray shirt for a year so that they can still join the team thereafter. The player enrolls in the university as a student in the Fall, but does not officially become a scholarship football player until Spring. At this point, they are given a scholarship, but this counts against the following year’s limit, rather than the current year. This lets the school maintain extra depth on the team, sign all the players it wants and avoid violating NCAA rules.