What UConn has taught us... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What UConn has taught us...

I think making a blanket statement like we'll be out in round 2 is pretty crazy. We didn't play a good game last night; if we play like that in round 2, we probably will get knocked out. It's easy to be negative after we lose a game, just like it was easy to be positive last Sunday after James came back and we rolled St. Johns and we were ticketing ourselves for the final four.

I will say this; I bet whoever wins the national title, or the four teams in the FF, will likely have a loss on their resume roughly similar to @UConn. Indiana lost @Illinois. Florida lost @Arkansas. Duke has lost @NC State. Miami lost to Florida Gulf Coast!

I think making a blanket statement like we'll be out in round 2 is pretty crazy. We didn't play a good game last night; if we play like that in round 2, we probably will get knocked out.

Yeah - the team lacks consistency (especially where go-to player that can carry the team is concerned)... and consistency and clutch play is what you need to go deep in March.

JB has said and we all have hoped that Triche steps it up and can be that player.

At this stage of his career, however, I think it is what it is... He can be that player some nights, but not necessarily when we need it.

We have a fun team to watch and they are capable to make a run - no doubt.

But my expectations aren't that high for the tourney... we play some pretty pedestrian/beatable ball at times...

What I saw was that we will struggle against teams who have small quick guards. MCW has a really tough time against smaller guys who hound him on the dribble. What I will never understand is why when you have two tiny guards playing our guards we never Triche and MCW working to each other on the post. Either one of them could have easily posted their men and gotten them into quick foul trouble or easy buckets.

JB has said and we all have hoped that Triche steps it up and can be that player.

At this stage of his career, however, I think it is what it is... He can be that player some nights, but not necessarily when we need it.

Triche had a really good run about a month or so ago, and people were hoping he had stepped up to become the player a lot of people thought he could be. I was hopeful, but wasn't sold. He's 21-66 the last 5 games. I'm not saying he sucks or anything, but I do agree that with 15 or so games left in his senior season, he is what he is. Very solid, good player.

Triche had a really good run about a month or so ago, and people were hoping he had stepped up to become the player a lot of people thought he could be. I was hopeful, but wasn't sold. He's 21-66 the last 5 games. I'm not saying he sucks or anything, but I do agree that with 15 or so games left in his senior season, he is what he is. Very solid, good player.

Just don't know what it is with him. Early in the year he had solved that floating on his three ball attempts but that was back in force last night. I feel like he is too deferential to MCW and waits too long to get himself going with the drives to the hoop - which were all at least partially successful last night. He acts like he's been living in the shadow of greatness (which he kind of has) when he should realize he's part of that greatness and can be just as successful as the others around him.

We can't be running plays for Cooney coming off curls so he can shoot an off-balanced brick. If I see another one of those... The one good play he made was that shot fake then one dribble for a better/closer shot for himself.

You don't need 1 player to do it. If Triche, Southerland, and Fair are hitting their jumpers and our D plays well, we can make it to Atlanta.

It's not like the NBA or MLB. The hottest team wins, not the best team.
But the time we did it was really with 1 player. So, I dont know.

We can't be running plays for Cooney coming off curls so he can shoot an off-balanced brick. If I see another one of those... The one good play he made was that shot fake then one dribble for a better/closer shot for himself.

Yeah... Cooney was way overhyped coming into season... not the shooter he was hyped as and much more of project... his defense is poor as well and slow... he's gonna need some time...

Cooney is not playing well. I don't want to say what I really want to say. I have zero confidence in him and he has zero confidence in himself.

Cooney is not playing well. I don't want to say what I really want to say. I have zero confidence in him and he has zero confidence in himself.

I know. I feel bad for the kid. No confidence. We must be so desperate for some offense if we are running those Andy-like curls for him. I mean does he make them when his feet are set? Why those plays?

It's the construction of the offense without any inside play. Michigan and Duke may be able to pull it off since they have lots of shooters. We don't and we don't make ANY D work hard enough for the most part.

Not only is there a lack of inside play but as others have noted, there appears to be a pretty severe reluctance by our guards to pass the ball inside. In fairness, any such pass has about a 50% chance of being a TO with BMK and Rak. Grant simply lacks the strength this year to get to the hole in traffic with teams packing the paint and daring us to shoot. I think the lack of guard speed was very telling last night.

The lack of guard speed will not be improved next year with Ennis.

He looks like he is playing in hyper drive with his hair on fire all of the time which seems to leads to a lot of the out of control, off balance shots. He really needs to slow it down and think about what he's doing.

The lack of guard speed will not be improved next year with Ennis.

It's a real problem in that we recruit for length to help the zone but have serious speed issues due to having 6'5" guards being defended by 5'10" blazer types. I don't see this going away.

Not only is there a lack of inside play but as others have noted, there appears to be a pretty severe reluctance by our guards to pass the ball inside. In fairness, any such pass has about a 50% chance of being a TO with BMK and Rak. Grant simply lacks the strength this year to get to the hole in traffic with teams packing the paint and daring us to shoot. I think the lack of guard speed was very telling last night.

Yeah. Spot on. Our guard speed is adequate against many teams but was really exposed vs UConn which I would think those two have to be one of the quickest backcourts in the nation. Dion and Scoop are really missed in this type of matchup.

It's a real problem in that we recruit for length to help the zone but have serious speed issues due to having 6'5" guards being defended by 5'10" blazer types. I don't see this going away.

Agreed. Criteria #1 is length/reach to defend the top of the zone and I can't necessarily argue with that. Speed is secondary.