what was coleman thinking | Syracusefan.com

what was coleman thinking

I don't really have a problem with what he said. Do I think it is as widespread in the NBA as Coleman thinks? No, but then again, I never played a lick of basketball in the NBA. Who knows what he saw or experienced in his days. I think he is likely overreacting a bit to this issue although that is understandable in my mind. This was really an ugly situation and emotions are very high right now.

You would think Don Tokowitz - until he was 23 - Sterling would have been a nicer man. As a son of Chicago immigrants, he is giving his fellow Jewish lawyers a bad name. Then again, it is not just an ethnic thing with Don. In the 1980's he was fined by the NBA for saying he was going to order his team to take a dive so he could grab the #1 draft pick. Maybe he was trying to land DC.:)

Only in America could a man be expelled from an exclusive club, forced to sell his lucrative enterprise and a make a billion dollars as a consequence.

Attachments

• smile[1].png
    smile[1].png
    897 bytes · Views: 51
I think in the one statement he meant to say that it is as relevant now as it was in the 60's and 70's, but said it backwards.

There will always be racism. Is it as bad and as blatant as it was 50-60 years ago? Certainly not. Jim Crow is dead. A man of African American descent is our President. But there will always be ignorance, no matter what the color. I thought Dwight Howard had a great tweet yesterday where he reminded people that racism isn't just limited to one race or color. It happens to everyone. People like the Rev's Al and Jesse would probably say different, though. Kudos to Dwight.

when the trayvon martin verdict came back, coleman tweeted that "they were getting us back for the oj verdict" coleman's mind, probably only white people can be racist.

Last edited:
Derrick is a good human being who has friends of all races and ethnicities. Considering where he grew up, and when he grew up, I am sure he has experienced all manner of overt and covert racism. As a friend of his on Facebook, I read his thoughtful posts, which frequently express his affection for diverse people and causes. As Peter Calvin wrote above, I am sure he slightly mis-said what he meant to say in that one sentence (as we all have from time to time).

You would think Don Tokowitz - until he was 23 - Sterling would have been a nicer man. As a son of Chicago immigrants, he is giving his fellow Jewish lawyers a bad name. Then again, it is not just an ethnic thing with Don. In the 1980's he was fined by the NBA for saying he was going to order his team to take a dive so he could grab the #1 draft pick. Maybe he was trying to land DC.:)

Why is he giving his fellow Jewish lawyers a bad name? B/c he is one guy that happens to be Jewish? If he was Christian, would he be giving his fellow Christian lawyers a bad name? The post is almost as idiotic as the guy who asked Adam Silver if Adam Silver took it extra personally because both he (Silver) and Sterling are Jewish. Silver said correctly it had nothing to do with religion-he was offended as a human being. Don't even have to get into how many Jews were front and center involved with the civil rights movement

Why is he giving his fellow Jewish lawyers a bad name? B/c he is one guy that happens to be Jewish? If he was Christian, would he be giving his fellow Christian lawyers a bad name? The post is almost as idiotic as the guy who asked Adam Silver if Adam Silver took it extra personally because both he (Silver) and Sterling are Jewish. Silver said correctly it had nothing to do with religion-he was offended as a human being. Don't even have to get into how many Jews were front and center involved with the civil rights movement
As a non-Jew props to Jewish folk for being on the right side of the race issue earlier than most of their white brothers.

Reactions: cto
Your point is valid. But speaking as a Jew, I admit I was a little more upset by the situation when I verified that Sterling was Jewish. Fortunately, I have not heard one remark that his opinions are typical of Jews.