What We Know... | Syracusefan.com

What We Know...

newmexicuse

All Conference
OK, lot's of speculation on this forum about PT, minutes,and how good we might be, so let's break down what we really know.

Lydon - a budding star. He improved steadily throughout last season. No reason to think his development has peaked. He should be an easy 15 & 8. Can go to his natural position of stretch 4.

Roberson - a beast on the boards, but not always. As a senior he should be able to improve his consistency off the glass. He really doesn't have bad form on the 15 footer, but so far it hasn't translated into games. Showed some motor at the end of last season, unlike his first 2 1/2 years. If he keeps the motor going he stays on the court.

Coleman - Kid has shown guts & tenacity in overcoming adversity, but so far his HS skillset hasn't translated well to the next level. I really like him as a backup center, but if somehow Chukwu doesn't work out then Lydon may be forced back to the 5 spot.

Chukwu - the biggest wildcard because to some extent everybody else is an interchangeable part - he is a one & only on this roster. This will be his opportunity at prime time. We know he can run the court and block shots. Can he stay out of foul trouble ? Can he provide at least just enough O to keep em honest ? If he can give us 30 minutes, 6 points, 8 to 10 boards, and 3 to 5 blocks we may well be a top ten team.

Gillon and White - I put them together because as senior transfers their resumes speak for themselves. They both will have to adjust to the higher level of ACC play. Both will be solid doing what they do and both will fall short a bit short of being stars.

Battle - second biggest wildcard on the team. Potential star. Can he adjust ASAP & get it done as a frosh or will we have to wait a year ? If we get a yes answer on Chukwu & this kid comes in & lights it up from the get go, we well be a Top Five team.

Howard - Showed improvement as last season progressed. He doesn't need to necessarily hit treys, but man, he needs some sort of an offensive shot other than a layup. I don't particularly like his form on Js, but maybe he can develop a nice little runner. I see him as the 4th guard who will shine in spots.

Moyer and Thompson - Will Moyer end up shirting this season ? I really liked what I saw of him and I thought he might have been a nice backup for the frontcourt when Jimmy wanted to stay big. I don't particularly like the idea of him shirting because I did not see him as a four year player (2 or 3 years & done) & unless our recruiting turns around dramatically in getting some 2017 high level commits,this might be our best team in awhile, so I don't want to leave any unturned cards on the bench. TT, I like the kid, but I think he is a bit raw & will need a year of seasoning before he really shines.

I think we will play a tad of zone this season.

All in all with good health, I do not see how we aren't a Top 25 team, and I think if just a couple of questions get answered with big positive that we have Top 5 potential.

OK, lot's of speculation on this forum about PT, minutes,and how good we might be, so let's break down what we really know.

Lydon - a budding star. He improved steadily throughout last season. No reason to think his development has peaked. He should be an easy 15 & 8. Can go to his natural position of stretch 4.

Roberson - a beast on the boards, but not always. As a senior he should be able to improve his consistency off the glass. He really doesn't have bad form on the 15 footer, but so far it hasn't translated into games. Showed some motor at the end of last season, unlike his first 2 1/2 years. If he keeps the motor going he stays on the court.

Coleman - Kid has shown guts & tenacity in overcoming adversity, but so far his HS skillset hasn't translated well to the next level. I really like him as a backup center, but if somehow Chukwu doesn't work out then Lydon may be forced back to the 5 spot.

Chukwu - the biggest wildcard because to some extent everybody else is an interchangeable part - he is a one & only on this roster. This will be his opportunity at prime time. We know he can run the court and block shots. Can he stay out of foul trouble ? Can he provide at least just enough O to keep em honest ? If he can give us 30 minutes, 6 points, 8 to 10 boards, and 3 to 5 blocks we may well be a top ten team.

Gillon and White - I put them together because as senior transfers their resumes speak for themselves. They both will have to adjust to the higher level of ACC play. Both will be solid doing what they do and both will fall short a bit short of being stars.

Battle - second biggest wildcard on the team. Potential star. Can he adjust ASAP & get it done as a frosh or will we have to wait a year ? If we get a yes answer on Chukwu & this kid comes in & lights it up from the get go, we well be a Top Five team.

Howard - Showed improvement as last season progressed. He doesn't need to necessarily hit treys, but man, he needs some sort of an offensive shot other than a layup. I don't particularly like his form on Js, but maybe he can develop a nice little runner. I see him as the 4th guard who will shine in spots.

Moyer and Thompson - Will Moyer end up shirting this season ? I really liked what I saw of him and I thought he might have been a nice backup for the frontcourt when Jimmy wanted to stay big. I don't particularly like the idea of him shirting because I did not see him as a four year player (2 or 3 years & done) & unless our recruiting turns around dramatically in getting some 2017 high level commits,this might be our best team in awhile, so I don't want to leave any unturned cards on the bench. TT, I like the kid, but I think he is a bit raw & will need a year of seasoning before he really shines.

All in all with good health, I do not see how we aren't a Top 25 team, and I think if just a couple of questions get answered with big positive that we have Top 5 potential.
I don't think we know all of those things. We haven't seen a number of these kids play this year.

What happened to the national title talk?

Now it seems like we will be lucky if we are a top 25 team :bang:

I think we all know we have the talent to be a Top 25 team, but since we have three new starters including both the guards, even the most optimistic of us probably want to wait to see how the chemistry works before starting the National Championship talk.

I think we all know we have the talent to be a Top 25 team, but since we have three new starters including both the guards, even the most optimistic of us probably want to wait to see how the chemistry works before starting the National Championship talk.
It's Jimmy's job to find the chemistry. Maybe not @ day 1, but the HOF coach will get the job done.

What happened to the national title talk?

Now it seems like we will be lucky if we are a top 25 team :bang:

Huge difference between where it's fair to put this team in a preseason top 25 and where most of us expect it to be by season's end when JB has had a full season to get guys to blend together and figure out rotations etc.

A pretty good ascessment of where we currently stand with
expectations tempered with a lot of conditionals. I think that TT may be more ready to contribute than most people currently give him credit for. Devendorf raved about him and what a force he was going to be.

I'm still shaking my head at your assessment of Roberson. "Showed some motor at the end of the season?" I'm not sure what point you were trying to make there. If you watched him closely, he'd very often rebound the ball defensively AND be the first guy down the other end. But he was consistently ignored. I can't wait to see if the new guards are allowed to push the ball. Roberson will have many, many easy layups and dunks thanks to his speed and "motor."

I'm still shaking my head at your assessment of Roberson. "Showed some motor at the end of the season?" I'm not sure what point you were trying to make there. If you watched him closely, he'd very often rebound the ball defensively AND be the first guy down the other end. But he was consistently ignored. I can't wait to see if the new guards are allowed to push the ball. Roberson will have many, many easy layups and dunks thanks to his speed and "motor."
When I re-watch UVA game, Robes was the MVP for 30 of the 40 minutes...

Yeah, if we're talking about what we "know"...we can probably pencil in Roberson for averaging close to a double double, because he's already done that twice.

Yeah, if we're talking about what we "know"...we can xxxxxxx pencil in Roberson for averaging close to a double double, because he's already done that twice.
Corrrected

As I posted a few weeks ago, it will be a toss-up between Roberson and Lydon who has the most double doubles.

In Francis's podcast he said Howard has been owning Gillon in pickup games at the Melo Center. We may see Howard as the starting PG not Gillon. Battle is absolutely terrific. He may be our leading scorer. White will take PT away from Lydon or Roberson. My bet it will be Roberson because White is better on offense and an okay rebounder. Also, I heard someone say Chukwu is still a little raw. If you watch TT's highlight films, he has terrific foot work in the low post. He may be our best center on offense. TT may end up with more PT than Coleman or Chukwu. There are a lot of unknowns about this team. But I agree with you we will probably see the Orange play a little 2-3 zone on defense this season.

Last edited:
In Francis's podcast he said Howard has been owning Gillon in pickup games at the Melo Center. We may see Howard as the starting PG not Gillon. Battle is absolutely terrific. He may be our leading scorer. White will take PT away from Lydon or Roberson. My bet it will be Roberson because White is better on offense and an okay rebounder. Also, I heard someone say Chukwu is still a little raw. If you watch TT's highlight films, he has terrific foot work in the low post. He may be our best center on offense. TT may end up with more PT than Coleman or Chukwu. There are a lot of unknowns about this team. But I agree with you we will probably see the Orange play a little 2-3 zone on defense this season.

Agree with most of this -- a lot of unknowns this season. JB said as much in recent comments. Need to know how the lineup combinations actually work, how much players have improved (Roberson, for example), and how they compete in practices (your example with Howard). I expect Chukwu and Roberson will be an unworkable combination (too limited in offensive skills), but maybe they will surprise us. TT may surprise us, just as Lydon was better than projected.

Consider last season. Most predictions about Lydon's role were wrong; not many were projecting that Richardson would play as well as did at SF defensively as well as offensively, or that Gbinije would play as much PG as he did.

A need to catch his breathe or foul trouble are the only things taking minutes from Lydon.
The report on FH is soooo Kaleb Joseph, Ethan Cole summer reports. ( FH will be better than KJ, but not by much if he can't shoot or defend better.)
White was one of the biggest starters on Neb. last year. To think he is a comparable sub for TR as a rebounder is folly. TR will be a top 5 or better ACC rebounder this year. Of we wanna run, we gotta rebound.

Agree with most of this -- a lot of unknowns this season. JB said as much in recent comments. Need to know how the lineup combinations actually work, how much players have improved (Roberson, for example), and how they compete in practices (your example with Howard). I expect Chukwu and Roberson will be an unworkable combination (too limited in offensive skills), but maybe they will surprise us. TT may surprise us, just as Lydon was better than projected.

Consider last season. Most predictions about Lydon's role were wrong; not many were projecting that Richardson would play as well as did at SF defensively as well as offensively, or that Gbinije would play as much PG as he did.
People who understand basketball knew MG was gonna get the most minutes at PG because KJ was no good.

That's not really what Francis said. He was relaying a story he'd heard about one open gym session, which was posted on this forum, where Howard reportedly was impressive and Gillon "disappointed" the observer. "Owning" is overstating it, from that story.

This is how rumor morphs into board "fact" a la the telephone game.

People who understand basketball knew MG was gonna get the most minutes at PG because KJ was no good.

Yes, some were confident MG was going to take over at PG (though not many had KJ simply fading away). That call wasn't that difficult, because we had seen MG play at the point at the end of the prior season.

But the other examples -- Lydon as our best center? Richardson as good all-around as he proved to be? In both cases, the players developed over the summer and in the early practices and the result was not what most were projecting. Happens nearly every year. And this year is more unsettled than most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom