What would SU do if NYS doesn't allow college sports. | Syracusefan.com

What would SU do if NYS doesn't allow college sports.

SBU72

All Conference
First of all, what would the ACC do if any school cancels fall/winter sports? Or individual states have different rules? How does SU handle the current NYS mandate that visitors from selected states (NC is one) must self quarantine for 14 days. Also people returning from those states must also self-quarantine for 14 days and fill out a form on their activities in those states. Officials will be at the airports seeing that people comply. This could get very complicated. And by the way I saw last night that Dr Fauci hops for a vaccine soon, like in the next YEAR or so.

I would love to see Gov. Cuomo try and tell a private university it can’t have athletics if so chooses too.

How do you allow pro sports to play and not allow private colleges the same ability.
Good question. Wondered that myself. Does pro baseball have the 14 day quarantine rules? Do they have the reporting rules too? Don't know.

How does the ACC handle it? Do basically what the NFL said that each team has to follow state set guidelines. The Bills already said no fans this year.

First of all, what would the ACC do if any school cancels fall/winter sports? Or individual states have different rules? How does SU handle the current NYS mandate that visitors from selected states (NC is one) must self quarantine for 14 days. Also people returning from those states must also self-quarantine for 14 days and fill out a form on their activities in those states. Officials will be at the airports seeing that people comply. This could get very complicated. And by the way I saw last night that Dr Fauci hops for a vaccine soon, like in the next YEAR or so.

The Nats got a waiver from DC to have practices at their stadium. The Mets and Yankees are doing their thing. If the ACC is playing we'll play.

I would love to see Gov. Cuomo try and tell a private university it can’t have athletics if so chooses too.

How do you allow pro sports to play and not allow private colleges the same ability.

Cuomo isn’t going to tell Syracuse they can’t have athletics, but he may make and enforce rules that make holding sports undesirable (eg ban on large crowds) or impossible (eg. Enforcing quarantines on inter state travelers).

I think we’re all headed back to lockdown, just some sooner than others.

Cuomo isn’t going to tell Syracuse they can’t have athletics, but he may make and enforce rules that make holding sports undesirable (eg ban on large crowds) or impossible (eg. Enforcing quarantines on inter state travelers).

new york isnt going back into lockdown again unless people are stupid as there hasnt been a spike

So Cuomo is going to have cops at every airport and have the passenger show their papers?

Teams fly into NY they don’t drive. If Cuomo would waste state resources to keep these athletes out that is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

This doesn’t make much sense. If cases are rising then of course, but NY cases are doing the opposite.

As for other states... who knows.

This doesn’t make much sense. If cases are rising then of course, but NY cases are doing the opposite.

In the Albany area the cases are rising.

Slowly but surely all other states seem to be backsliding as a result of either not bothering with precautions In the first place or attempting to reopen. I think the number was 41 states that are now experiencing an increase in cases.

Pennsylvania just announced tighter restrictions today on dining, bars and size of gatherings.

Why would N.Y. be different, it’s just a matter of time.

Slowly but surely all other states seem to be backsliding as a result of either not bothering with precautions In the first place or attempting to reopen. I think the number was 41 states that are now experiencing an increase in cases.

Pennsylvania just announced tighter restrictions today on dining, bars and size of gatherings.

Why would N.Y. be different, it’s just a matter of time.

people are under the misperception that wearing masks means you can act the fool

-not it doesn’t

-most of the masks aren’t designed to reduce transmission of viruses but are more to maintain a grossly sterile field (such as not allowing inadvertent saliva dripping into an open wound)

- a large number of morons don’t know how to actually wear the mask . (Uncovering your nose isn’t going to end well)

- a large number of morons don’t know how to actually wear the mask . (Uncovering your nose isn’t going to end well)

I think most of them know but don't want to wear it correctly. For them, its a work around. Close enough for them to say I'm wearing one.

I think this will be a league responsibility. The schools (AD's) will put their heads together, and come up with rules/protocols that every league member will follow. Like testing their athletes before they get on the plane to head to a road venue.

But, if current trends continue for about 2 weeks, I expect the fall schedules in all sports to be cancelled.

Personally, I don't want any of our players to die. Period.
Players die every year... medical issues, violence and accidents.

Yes no one wants players to die but they still do. Covid-19 risk for healthy college athletes appears to be very low.

Yes no one wants players to die but they still do. Covid-19 risk for healthy college athletes appears to be very low.
The health damage done from Covid-19 is unknown.
Even if you get it and overcome it doesn’t mean it’s worth the risk. Heart damage done from getting is real and we won’t know till the future how it impacts a person’s long term health.

College football this fall isn’t going to end up happening. Pro football will try to and get thru it but it’s going to tough for them. They just make a lot of revenue that it’s going happen.

Mark, have you had COVID yet? We need to get to herd immunity.

So Cuomo is going to have cops at every airport and have the passenger show their papers?

Teams fly into NY they don’t drive. If Cuomo would waste state resources to keep these athletes out that is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
From what I heard, yes there will be officals at every airport to accept paperwork from inbound travelers from restricted states detailing their activities for the previous 14 days. Those who do not comply will be ticketed! Or some such thing. Apparently forms will be available before landing.

From what I heard, yes there will be officals at every airport to accept paperwork from inbound travelers from restricted states detailing their activities for the previous 14 days. Those who do not comply will be ticketed! Or some such thing. Apparently forms will be available before landing.
That is a 4th amendment violation.
Cuomo will get sued.

That is a 4th amendment violation.
Cuomo will get sued.

You're probably thinking of 5th Amendment protection against self-incrimination.

They can sue, but they won't win. SCOTUS has ruled that when you fly, you are waiving a lot of rights. For example, having Customs and the TSA going through your bags without a warrant. Or, agreeing to breathalyzer or field sobriety tests as a condition to getting a driver's license. What they've announced is that getting on a plane to NY constitutes waiving your rights. Don't want to be questioned? Don't get on a plane to NY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom