What's after Nassib? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What's after Nassib?

Haven't seen Pugh going in the 2nd round in the little I looked, but who knows? I just hope he's smart and gets all the info. before signing w/ an agent and have his decision made for him, instead of vice-versa

We don't have one corner that is any good at pass D.

Marqise Lee, who is arguable the best WR in the country and who will play on Sundays, had very high praise for the Syracuse CB's after playing his whole regular season.

Our CB's, especially next year, will be the defensive strength of this team IMO. Reddish and Lyn are potential NFL talents and they are our starters next year. The future is bright.

Being perfectly willing to project good things for the D when they have now had two lousy years in a row and not being willing to project favorably on the offense which had a break out year, new scheme and returns many starter, is what is really insane.

I mentioned Sugar Bear because the passing game needs to replace Lemon and Sales and it does not have to do it with just WR. We had great success with Provo in 2011 and having TEs that are a cut above can really help fill the gap.

We were 65th in pass defense, which means we were not very good. Can't blame it all on the safeties. We even had second string QBs pick us apart. It remains to be seen how Reddish and especially Lyn will develop but it is silly to project that either will play on Sundays at this point. Don't get me wrong I hope they will and they certainly have time but it is a stretch based on what they have shown so far. The results were the epitome of average - potential sure - but last year pretty average at best.

I also think the future is bright also but anyone that thinks it is a given that the D will be a lot better than average next year is simply Orange blind. Improvement sure, but probably not a top 25. I would settle for a top 50.

1. There won't be a "reasonable replacement" for Pugh. We're going to see a huge dropoff on whatever side of the line has an opening. My bet is Hickey stays at RT if Loeb is QB, LT if anyone else is QB. His counterpart will not compare to this year.

2. How does Ron Thompson have anything to do with a drop off? You have no idea what he brings to the table because he hasn't played yet. I think our injured WRs and Quinta coming back are far more important since you are filling spots for Lemon/Sales, who combined for almost 2000 yards.

3. Same with Broyld. Not important in terms of a drop off. If we can find his best fit he will help us but him not getting pt doesn't mean we will drop off.

4. Throw the deep route accurately and have touch on finesse passes... How about a QB that can make progressions and hit an open receiver? Finesse passes and deep routes are the least important things in a QB next year. Running this year's offense means there will be open guys. Can Loeb hit them in stride? Can he progress through his first two reads if they are covered? Can he manage the game without throwing balls up for grabs? These things are more important

My obvious point was that while we can't replace a three year starter in Nassib nor Pugh, there are other improvements than can mitigate the loss. I mentioned RT assuming that he is as good as the raves he got last spring and if so, having TE production like Provo circa 2011 will help the passing game.

Also, Broyld is a play maker and production from him also helps. Figuring out how to get production out of him is very important and if you do not think so fine - let's just agree to disagree.

You were just being obnoxious about the last point. Whoever starts will have to be able to read the progressions and take care of the ball or he won't start - period. Whatever else he has to offer with touch on fade routes. screens, etc or the ability to stretch the field could be an improvement over Nassib. So, while we will miss Ryan, and the offense will have different strengths, all is not lost and some things may actually improve. Hell if we improve red zone play the net result could be better in points than this year.

I'm a little surprised at the lack of chatter related to life after Nassib. Has anyone heard who the likely starter is for next year? Is anyone concerned?

it's all over twitter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom