What's an ideal Syracuse University shooting guard? | Syracusefan.com

What's an ideal Syracuse University shooting guard?

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Everybody's arguing over Coondawg, G and Buss.

So lets hear what everyone expects out of a proper shooting guard for this team.

Things we know about Syracuse basketball:

-No top 100 recruit is necessarily out of our reach.
-We have top notch coaching.
-We churn out NBA guards like it's our job.
-Our goal every season is a conference championship and a Nation Championship.
-We play on both sides of the court.
-We play the zone.

etc. etc.

What I'd like to see out of a SG:

Refined, consistent three point thread.

Draws defenders to the perimeter.

Knocks down open looks.

Has the ability to adjust when he's having an off shooting game.

Great passer.

Great defender.

Playmaker.

Transition

Smokes trees and rips threes

I dont think there is one, You can have one with the skill set of Waiters, and you can have a pure shooter like Rautins or Gmac.

For me, and I suspect most here, an Elliot Richards type player is the bare minimum we need in a SG.

A 6'7" strong kid who shoots 95% from three and doesn't get tired. Oh yeah also he can dunk from the foul line.;)

Add to this for ALL SU players

When the ball is shot, at or within, a 3 ft perimeter of the goal, it goes in 100% of the time.
Seriously I bet our rate this year was in the 60's or 70's. Make 25% of the ones we missed this year, we are 32-1. Perhaps better. As bad as our offense was this year, when it came to taking good shots, this team did that as well as any SU team I remember. We just needed more of them to go in.
One little "Karma" I seemed to notice this year.
We would be up 8-10 pts, ready to blow a game open, we go for the throat with a 3, it clanks out, opponent comes down and *swish*, down 7. Happened whenever we looked like we could pull away.
Also this happened a LOT. Opponents take the clock down to 32 and launch a shot. It clanks off, becomes a 50/50 ball on the rebound. They get the rebound, its a 100% percent lock they will have a basket before we get the ball again. Those things kill your psyche and get the "we're" doomed " subconscious going. Along with banked in 3's from 32ft. We really did take a lot of hits this year. Probably payback for Jerami's spinning , getting knocked down, flying thru the air, over his shoulder 15 ft bank shot early in the year. The ultimate s h *t shot.

Last edited:

So lets hear what everyone expects out of a proper shooting guard for this team.

-We play the zone.

etc. etc.

Knocks down open looks.

Great passer.

Great defender.

Playmaker.

Transition

Lol your last line is great. No comment though. Don't want another deleted thread.

Realistic? Maybe Eric Devendorf on offense, and Triche on defense. Ummmm, maybe meet in the middle of their on-court demeanor, and probably off the court as well.

Lawrinson should be able to mock-up some kind of Devo/Triche combined into one person pic.

-We play the zone.

etc. etc.

Knocks down open looks.

Great passer.

Great defender.

Playmaker.

Transition

Sounds like Kobe or Dwade in their prime.

Sign me up.

I like it.

18 pts, 4 brds, 3 asst, 3 stl, 1 blk.

Just another day at the office.

I resonate with the shooting many clamor for in this thread, but I also want to see someone with the versatility to put it on the floor and create off the bounce. Shot making is broader than just shooting.

6'4"+ with the ability to dribble drive.

I don't care about anything else really. Being able to hit 33%+ from deep is pretty much a prerequisite to be considered a SG ("shooting" is in the darn title), so it should go without mention.

I prefer 2 guards that are scorers first. Being able to knock down some threes when open is more just a minimum constraint to me (Edelin's failing) I don't see many good teams around with designated gunners. i just want guys who can take and make some open threes. Having 1 guard who can put the ball on the floor is bad.

no one thinks Scoop was a good shooter but his shooting was good (two different things if that makes sense) because he could create and make open shots.

I prefer 2 guards that are scorers first. Being able to knock down some threes when open is more just a minimum constraint to me (Edelin's failing) I don't see many good teams around with designated gunners. i just want guys who can take and make some open threes. Having 1 guard who can put the ball on the floor is bad.

no one thinks Scoop was a good shooter but his shooting was good (two different things if that makes sense) because he could create and make open shots.

A point guard has to be able to make the defense guard him to open up the passing lanes.