What's It all about ...ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What's It all about ...ACC

Ha, ha ha! Certainly not a WVU fan!!!

I'm sorry I'm not a poster, but it is what it is. I want the ACC to succeed, but I'm skeptical due to the bad media contract, limited number of state flagship universities, the lack of a long history among the schools, and the fact that FSU and Clemson badly want to go to the SEC. I think the rest of the schools want to make it work. In addition, I don't agree with ND's partial membership as they could stabilize the conference immediately. Force them to go all in or join another conference. ND's conference options are now very limited.

As for an ACC network, it all comes down to cost to the cable companies. In Boston, I have BTN, but Comcast only pays $0.10 per month. In Big 10 markets, they charge ~$0.85 per month. I really don't see an ACC channel getting paid much in Boston due to the lack of interest in college sports which is why I thought using ESPN for all content was the right decision for the ACC.
we'll see. We have a pretty connected board. We like our chances.

Kooky? When the SEC network comes out it will be a must have in all those states. Add in higher bowl payouts and higher basic media rights and SEC will be getting double the ACC in the future. Shoot, Maryland and Rutgers are projected to make over double the ACC payout!!

I smell a WVU fan.

I like the potential framework for bowl payouts. Mostly split but deserved additional payment to the bowl representative and with travel costs covered. That's the way it should be. I guess the bowl rep is still on the hook for its ticket allotment.

I think this is a good start, but I'm not a fan unless bowl selection (outside of the playoff/BCS) is somehow locked in according to final standings. The last thing I want to see is Clemson get a $2 million payout that should have been ours because "they travel better".

When does the bubble pop? Between endowment "hedge funds" and college football... it's just a matter of time before the IRS comes calling.
Funny you say that. My son, myself and some financial nerds were discussing this same thing. Universities are supposedly non-profits?? .

Espn will have to bump the ACC about $100M per year to keep up.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

JimBoston is definitely a WVU fan or at the very least a fan of a jerk-water Big 12 school like Baylor that stands to lose big time if the Big 12 is looted in the race to the mythical 16-team "superconferences."

JimBoston is definitely a WVU fan or at the very least a fan of a jerk-water Big 12 school like Baylor that stands to lose big time if the Big 12 is looted in the race to the mythical 16-team "superconferences."

Regardless of who he cheers for he is not wrong with what he has posted.

I'm sorry I'm not a poster, but it is what it is. I want the ACC to succeed, but I'm skeptical due to the bad media contract, limited number of state flagship universities, the lack of a long history among the schools, and the fact that FSU and Clemson badly want to go to the SEC. I think the rest of the schools want to make it work. In addition, I don't agree with ND's partial membership as they could stabilize the conference immediately. Force them to go all in or join another conference. ND's conference options are now very limited.

As for an ACC network, it all comes down to cost to the cable companies. In Boston, I have BTN, but Comcast only pays $0.10 per month. In Big 10 markets, they charge ~$0.85 per month. I really don't see an ACC channel getting paid much in Boston due to the lack of interest in college sports which is why I thought using ESPN for all content was the right decision for the ACC.

Even if FSU badly wants to go to the SEC, doesn't mean it is going to happen. UF does not want FSU in the SEC. Therefore not gonna happen. If/when the SEC expands they will probably raid the Big 12 again, they already grabbed Missouri and Texas A&M.

1. All ACC schools need to realize that it in their best interest to stick together. allowing to be picked up individually, every single ACC school will be vulnerable. ACC still has a great foundation. Without the full commitment, nothing else will help.
2. if we think that sport content will become more valuable, there are still some good products/brands available along the east coast. should we get uconn now? should we invite St. Johns, GTown, and Nova. Think about dual centered BB ACC tournament with a north center in MSG and the final 4 in DC. UMD players will be so exited to go to BIG tournament west.
3. think about the possibility of a kickoff FB game in Met Life hosting one or two ACC team. Miami-FSU used to be the hottest game of the Labor Day weekend. For some reason ACC abandoned it. Atlanta took the idea with their kick off game hosting SEC team.

I'll just say that the spin on a Burt Bacharach song was an interesting way to start the thread!

2. if we think that sport content will become more valuable, there are still some good products/brands available along the east coast. should we get uconn now? should we invite St. Johns, GTown, and Nova. Think about dual centered BB ACC tournament with a north center in MSG and the final 4 in DC. UMD players will be so exited to go to BIG tournament west.
No. No basketball onlies. ND was done to have first dibs if they ever join a conference.

FSU and Clemson have badly wanted to go to the SEC since before most of this board was born. SEC has no use for them, SECN will be in their markets anyway once it launches because of the other teams in those states.

The ACC's only fear with them is the Big 12. Given how badly 33% of the Big 12 wanted out just 2 short years ago, and given they replaced 4 schools with 2 lesser schools, hard to imagine anyone jumping on board. Once the new ESPN (w ND) deal is complete, there's a good chance that the Big 12's only card to play is that Sugar Bowl alliance. That's $12.5M extra for their conference per year. $1M per school per year. Are they going to jump for $1M per year?

The only threat to the ACC right now is Jim Delany. Going from the ACC to Big XII is stupid and everybody who is not a WVU fan realizes that. I don't consider the Big XII a threat as they are on borrowed time when the SEC/Pac-12 come home to roost. The ACC needs UVA, Ga. Tech, and North Carolina to turn down the B1G. The SEC won't destroy the ACC there is a sort of a Southern Gentleman culture between the two conferences. The SEC won't hesitate to take some ACC schools, but only after the B1G goes in for the kill. As long as Swofford can keep UVA and Ga. Tech from the B1G the ACC is fine. The Louisville move threw Florida State a bone and as long as the Maryland lawsuit is successful the ACC will be fine even though we put up with this.
WVU.png

Kooky? When the SEC network comes out it will be a must have in all those states. Add in higher bowl payouts and higher basic media rights and SEC will be getting double the ACC in the future. Shoot, Maryland and Rutgers are projected to make over double the ACC payout!!
So now it appears that it is a $$$ race for universities in athletics. Heck, let's call it what it is and make college football a development league...interestingly, the conference that continues to rank in the top 3 for draft selection each year is the ACC...the conference that is making less than the other Top 5 conferences...I am in favor of media contracts being tied to # and place of draft positions...heck, ACC cannot do any worse.

I think the ACC needs to send Otto Delaney to have a little chat with Cousin Jim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom