Whats killing NCAAB? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Whats killing NCAAB?

I've read a lot posts on a bunch of threads on the NBA, Malachi, leaving early, bla, bla, bla. But your post has really stuck with me. It truly was a great era when play like Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullin, Eddie Pinckney, Derrick Coleman, Rony Seikaly all stayed 4 years. It's really sad what CBB has become. Your post is really haunting me. I really loved that time in CBB.

You're talking almost 30 years ago. So much has evolved in life let alone in college basketball.

Your posts make it sound like you hate NCAA basketball. Why watch it if it's so awful? It's not a chore. I've never had a problem in my life watching a game and thinking it wasn't enjoyable.

For some time now I have continually heard about how the NBA requiring kids to go to 1 year of college is killing the game.

That rule stipulation may be hurting NCAAB, but it's not the only thing.

But I would like to pose a question:

Are kids just better at basketball at earlier ages in this time, then they were 20-30 years ago?

If that is true, its more the fact of evolution(in basketball) then the silly NBA 1 year stipulat
Minimum three years in college. Early Decision, if a draft position warrants it. If you don't want to go to college, go to China or Europe or whatever.

Three years improves the college game. Improves the NBA. Educates kids and prepares them for life, just like with any other person. That's what college is supposed to be about, first and foremost. I'm mixed on the topic of a stipend for college athletes, but if it were implemented, it would have to be for all athletes, not just the ones on the profit-generating teams, and not just for 'stars.' And, it would have to be minimal — not something that has them driving BMWs and living in luxury apartments. Student athletes should be integrated into the 'general population' as much as possible, including dorms.

If this were the system, no one loses. You can say that there have been successful players who jumped from high school, but so what. They would have been just as successful if they had gone to college. Re: the potential for injury — it's sports. There is that potential. The NCAA should insure them. Across the board. No recruiting advantages by having individual schools determining benefits. Isn't this close to the football system? Doesn't that work? Just because baseball is different doesn't mean basketball players should be entitled to follow suit. Baseball IS different.
I know the older guys don't like to admit this because it hurts nostalgia, but I think the answer to this question is unequivocally yes.
Bob Cousy said 40 years ago Girls could do things (Dribble behind back,no look pass etc) that fans worshiped him for in his era, that being said the fundamentals and intelligence (Basketball IQ) of players has dwindled. John Wooden liked to watch good womans teams play because of their Foul shooting/passing/boxing out attention to the fundamentals..

intelligence (Basketball IQ) of players has dwindled

Just curious, what makes you say that? If anything, strategy and schemes are MUCH more sophisticated than they were a generation or two ago.