What's really changed? Not much. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What's really changed? Not much.

Nike > Under Armour. lets not be silly. Under Armour is a nice little stock that we have all made money on , but it aint nike.

its nice that oregon has the nike connection and to be sure it helps. But you can have all the nike money in the world and if you dont play fun football, it wont matter. Oregon is killing it because they play fun, over the top offense and (a) kids want to be a part of that, (b) sponsors want to be associated with it, and (c) networks want to put it on TV. Point being that MD hasnt taken notes in "how to build a football program 101" - offense, offense, offense. then defense will follow.

Losing MD isnt a big deal and SU is still well positioned. Massive to be associated with schools like UVA, UNC, Duke, etc

Are you a Maryland fan? You seem to be slobbering all over them in every one of your posts. They SUCK!!! They haven't been relevant in anything since 2002. A booster with a sports apparel company isn't going to change that. Sure, in 5 to 10 years they will be able to pay some coach a couple million, but they are never going to be a "destination program". They will be a bottom feeder BiG school and a stepping stone.

I understand you're trying to show how significant this move is, but I think you're grossly overstating the importance of Maryland. They are not a BiG-type school. If Penn State could not succeed in that conference, Maryland has ZERO shot.
I am 100% Orange but c'mon and be objective. What the heck was Oregon before Nike basically subsidized their football program in 2000-2001ish. Maryland has a way better location than Oregon has more recruiting grounds than Oregon and kids love all the uniform combinations it is a fact.I don't expect Maryland to be a NC contender every year, but jeez your awfully absolute in your prediction they will be a bottom feeder. BTW Penn State has gone to 2 Rose Bowls since they joined the B1G only Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio State from the B1G have gone to multiple Rose Bowls during that span.The B1G isn't the big bad conference you are making it out to be. Its Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and one or two other contenders a year. Maryland was a big loss for the ACC because it was one of the three states the ACC had the flagship state university program of in-state. VA,NC, MD were the 3 states the ACC owned, now it is down to two. If you think the B1G and SEC are done at 14 then I can't discuss this with you anymore. Just look at things objectively or don't call out people who are.

But it matters nada how MD or rutgirls perform on the field, because it isn't about how many potential viewers turn their games on. There could be zero viewers, it wont matter.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Agreed. So, in the end a bunch of money got exchanged and the B1G got worse on the field. If Rutgers and Maryland both stay at the bottom for a couple of seasons, they end up with less of a chance of ever winning the conference. Recap: More money for everyone, mediocre product, less chance at success for the programs.

I am 100% Orange but c'mon and be objective. What the heck was Oregon before Nike basically subsidized their football program in 2000-2001ish. Maryland has a way better location than Oregon has more recruiting grounds than Oregon and kids love all the uniform combinations it is a fact.I don't expect Maryland to be a NC contender every year, but jeez your awfully absolute in your prediction they will be a bottom feeder. BTW Penn State has gone to 2 Rose Bowls since they joined the B1G only Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio State from the B1G have gone to multiple Rose Bowls during that span.The B1G isn't the big bad conference you are making it out to be. Its Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and one or two other contenders a year. Maryland was a big loss for the ACC because it was one of the three states the ACC had the flagship state university program of in-state. VA,NC, MD were the 3 states the ACC owned, now it is down to two. If you think the B1G and SEC are done at 14 then I can't discuss this with you anymore. Just look at things objectively or don't call out people who are.

Maryland has never been Penn State - and never will be. They are more likely to be Indiana; bottom feeder in football, top/middle in Bball.

If the ACC only loses Maryland and adds Lville the league will actually be much stronger in both football amd hoops. If adding Lville keeps fsu happy until the 5 year look in the acc will be worth more than the big 12 and acc teams will no longer be low hanging fruit.

If Notre Dame were to join the acc could then make a power play for a big program to get them to 16 teams.

Yes, of course. But I don't think we have five years of FSU being happy just because we add the 'Ville. I believe we have to strike the best deal very soon before other attractive schools possibly become unavailable. Getting ND to go all in will require us to let them basically pick the 16th member (yes, alost let them pick them) and then we need to let them be a big part of the power play - Approaching the last team, part of the negotiations with TV contracts, part of the solution and creation of the ACC Network etc. The psychology of this is very powerful in terms of their overall commitment to the ACC Conference.
Unless we make a bold move with ND fully committed and add a strong 16th team many ACC teams could still be low hanging fruit and jump to one of the Big 3 almost at any time, especially our more vulnerable and or interested teams in other conferences.

Yes, of course. But I don't think we have five years of FSU being happy just because we add the 'Ville. I believe we have to strike the best deal very soon before other attractive schools possibly become unavailable. Getting ND to go all in will require us to let them basically pick the 16th member (yes, alost let them pick them) and then we need to let them be a big part of the power play - Approaching the last team, part of the negotiations with TV contracts, part of the solution and creation of the ACC Network etc. The psychology of this is very powerful in terms of their overall commitment to the ACC Conference.
Unless we make a bold move with ND fully committed and add a strong 16th team many ACC teams could still be low hanging fruit and jump to one of the Big 3 almost at any time, especially our more vulnerable and or interested teams in other conferences.
DING DING we have a winner of somebody who understands what is going on. Louisville or UConn alone is a band-aid move and only buys a little of time. ESPN has to step up to help the ACC with its terrible contract or get Notre Dame to commit to ESPN for their football rights so an ACC network can have a chance without either of these moves the ACC will probably lose more schools to the B1G, SEC, and Big XII.

Maryland has never been Penn State - and never will be. They are more likely to be Indiana; bottom feeder in football, top/middle in Bball.

Alsacs ... Listen to TheCusian. He knows of what he speaks.

I live in DC and among the Terp faithful.Maryland is now in a worse competitive situation then they were when they were in the ACC.

Except for the uniform wardrobe, Maryland is now a less attractive destination for local talent. This will create a bonanza for VT and UVA. And Penn State has always out-recruited Maryland for the top DC area talent.

In basketball. Maryland has always sold being in the ACC as their top drawing card. That just went away.

The ONLY reason Maryland did this was out of financial desperation. They sold their cable TV audience for the Big Ten for cash to bail them out of an untenable financial situation. Everything else you hear is nonsense.

Those "built for cold weather" Big Ten football teams are going to grind Maryland up like hamburger. After some initial curiosity is satisfied, the crowds for Terps vs. Indiana and Michigan State will be smaller than what they have had for UVA and VT.

And without the basketball players who want to play in the ACC (or the Big East). Terp basketball will degrade.

DING DING we have a winner of somebody who understands what is going on. Louisville or UConn alone is a band-aid move and only buys a little of time. ESPN has to step up to help the ACC with its terrible contract or get Notre Dame to commit to ESPN for their football rights so an ACC network can have a chance without either of these moves the ACC will probably lose more schools to the B1G, SEC, and Big XII.

Alsacs is not looking at what md is. He is looking at what they can be. Right now they are a giant cf. what they can be is 1. Under armor booster with deep pockets and uniforms which like it or not matter to kids (hell we had a post of their black ops unis). 2. They are located in the dc area. This is a sleeping giant of recruiting. There is a map out in the interweb that shows the highest percentage of nfl players per population density. That area is the grater dc region. Which means if anyone ever got their act together they could field a killer team akin to Miami of the 80s. What holds Maryland back is Randall edsall and his boring offense.

Alsacs is not looking at what md is. He is looking at what they can be. Right now they are a giant cf. what they can be is 1. Under armor booster with deep pockets and uniforms which like it or not matter to kids (hell we had a post of their black ops unis). 2. They are located in the dc area. This is a sleeping giant of recruiting. There is a map out in the interweb that shows the highest percentage of nfl players per population density. That area is the grater dc region. Which means if anyone ever got their act together they could field a killer team akin to Miami of the 80s. What holds Maryland back is Randall edsall and his boring offense.

I'm not sure this move is the catalyst for awakening the giant. If they finish in the bottom for 2-3 seasons? Cold weather teams grinding them up? Those recruits are going to choose another school. Uni's only work if the team is good - otherwise it just adds to the embarrassment. (See: our all orange unis during Grob era).

If Under Armour was doing such a great job financially helping MD be a powerhouse program; they wouldn't be leaving for the Big10 because of the huge financial hole they are in.

As far as I can tell, Under Armour providing them with sh!tty looking uniforms to attract recruits hasn't improved their financial situation.

If Under Armour was doing such a great job financially helping MD be a powerhouse program; they wouldn't be leaving for the Big10 because of the huge financial hole they are in.

As far as I can tell, Under Armour providing them with sh!tty looking uniforms to attract recruits hasn't improved their financial situation.

You got it Qdawg.

If DC recruits want to play in the Big Ten they can do what they have always done ... go to Penn State.

If I'm Syracuse or Pitt, I'm going after the potential Maryland recruits hard, especially in basketball and lacrosse.

UnderArmor is NOT Nike. Not even close.

If DC recruits want to play in the Big Ten they can do what they have always done ... go to Penn State.

That wont be happening for quite awhile. And what does it matter if MD sucks or is great? Also, I bet UA makes a bigger commitment to MD now. Rutgirls wasn't going anyplace either right?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

You got it Qdawg.

If I'm Syracuse or Pitt, I'm going after the potential Maryland recruits hard, especially in basketball and lacrosse.

Rome wasn't built in one day. C'mon I hate losing Maryland they have a lot of potential. The uniforms are only in year two for Maryland. Get rid of Randy Edsall get an exciting coach in there and Maryland has a good future. Oregon took 10 years to become what they have become. The uniforms matter, I understand your a MD resident one of my good friends went to College Park and she didn't hated that that MD left what she called the Bojangles conference and now are with Penn State, Ohio State, Wisconsin. Maryland basketball will be fine, they will still be able to recruit Baltimore/DC and while they lose Duke and North Carolina they will be getting Ohio State, Michigan State, Indiana. Maryland wasn't even guaranteed a home game each year with Duke or North Carolina there designated rivals were Pitt and Virginia, don't think that didn't piss off MD. I understand your close to the situation, but Maryland was a big loss for the ACC not crippling loss but a significant loss.

You got it Qdawg.

Well, I have known about Nike for ages. I literally had never heard of Under Armour until the rumors about Maryland to the B1G heated up. Maybe to be completely honest I had heard the name Under Armour in the background somewhere, but I thought it was a car wax or something. You're right, the two companies are not even close. And I made money on stocks suck as BIIB and MEDX.

Rome wasn't built in one day. C'mon I hate losing Maryland they have a lot of potential. The uniforms are only in year two for Maryland. Get rid of Randy Edsall get an exciting coach in there and Maryland has a good future. Oregon took 10 years to become what they have become. The uniforms matter, I understand your a MD resident one of my good friends went to College Park and she didn't hated that that MD left what she called the Bojangles conference and now are with Penn State, Ohio State, Wisconsin. Maryland basketball will be fine, they will still be able to recruit Baltimore/DC and while they lose Duke and North Carolina they will be getting Ohio State, Michigan State, Indiana. Maryland wasn't even guaranteed a home game each year with Duke or North Carolina there designated rivals were Pitt and Virginia, don't think that didn't piss off MD. I understand your close to the situation, but Maryland was a big loss for the ACC not crippling loss but a significant loss.

When you suck in your conference your fans could care less what conference you go to. You keep talking about the uniforms provided by UA; uniforms are not going to bring MD back to prominence. What else is UA doing for MD? You refer to how the relationship is like Nike and Oregon. In what way is the relationship the same, other then the obvious.

As I said earlier, all we need to know about this relationship is that MD has been forced to move to the Big10 because of financial problems. If UA was going to be such a huge factor in MD's success the school wouldn't be financial ruin.

You also then suggest that with this move UA will provide more support. So they waited for MD to get millions of dollars in debt before they decide to help out? Does that make any sense? Big difference between Nike and UA. Nike wouldn't care what conference Oregon was in, they've been flooding that program with an insane amount of cash. UA --- not so much.

When you suck in your conference your fans could care less what conference you go to. You keep talking about the uniforms provided by UA; uniforms are not going to bring MD back to prominence. What else is UA doing for MD? You refer to how the relationship is like Nike and Oregon. In what way is the relationship the same, other then the obvious.

As I said earlier, all we need to know about this relationship is that MD has been forced to move to the Big10 because of financial problems. If UA was going to be such a huge factor in MD's success the school wouldn't be financial ruin.

You also then suggest that with this move UA will provide more support. So they waited for MD to get millions of dollars in debt before they decide to help out? Does that make any sense? Big difference between Nike and UA. Nike wouldn't care what conference Oregon was in, they've been flooding that program with an insane amount of cash. UA --- not so much.

Actually Rutgers is what Maryland could become. But Rutgers with more potential backing. I never thought rutgers would be anything. i also for the record do nit think they will sustain their success. but they are a state school in a good talent area. Maxwellcuse said he has never heard of ua. No one had ten years ago either but they already sponsor a high school all star game. Oregon was not a good program prior to the Nike backing. I understand Maryland has financial problems and granted I do not now the full influence ua has on sports at Maryland. If I were to guess through for recent reports it is or will be large. The bigger problem is fan interest anywhere along the I95 corridor because of conflicting pro interest. Bc, Rutgers, Maryland all are second fiddle. But of the 3 Maryland probably has the most potential. Don't get me wrong they still could massively screw things up. But the potential (French for lazy) is there.

what programming are you going to add? people watch for the live sports, not for the "Wonder what Ron Zook ate for supper tonight?"
was referring to live games. 16+ team conference leaves a lot of games to be played on conference tv

Maryland has a world of problems. Good luck selling Big 10 pick and screen fests to kids in PGC and Baltimore. Forget Duke, you have Iowa! Good luck with that.

Their football will be cannon fodder. Any appeal of UMD is playing other local east coast schools. The location is not really desirable, and they will have to completely change all their recruiting tactics moving forward. Won't work.

Fact check time!

I've not seen a map out there with data to back up your statement. Please post a link. There are smaller cities in the south that have more players in the NFL than the DC metro area. Make it a per capita figure and the discrepancy gets even bigger.

Fact check time!

I've not seen a map out there with data to back up your statement. Please post a link. There are smaller cities in the south that have more players in the NFL than the DC metro area. Make it a per capita figure and the discrepancy gets even bigger.
I saw that map also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom