What's the most number of wins JB would trade for another title? | Syracusefan.com

What's the most number of wins JB would trade for another title?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric15

Living Legend
This is just a random hypothetical, but I wonder how many career wins JB would trade for a 2nd national title? 100? 200? 300? Or maybe the answer is zero and he values being extremely high up on the career wins list over a second title.

None. Each win is like a child to him. We are more obsessed with this subject than he is.

Good point, I think the better question is how many wins would the fans trade for another title, and which wins?

Would you guys trade in the 6 ot win, and gmacs run in the big east tournament for another title?

cuseguy said:
All his wins are becoming pretty meaningless without another title.
Yeah, I heard the athletics department has even stopped recording them.

Reactions: cto
None. Each win is like a child to him. We are more obsessed with this subject than he is. He wants to win every game... whether it be in November or March.
Well can't see how he doesn't stay till 1,000 then

All his wins are becoming pretty meaningless without another title.
Bullshet! What is this obsession with titles? He is the second winningest coach in history. Look at all the coaches in the HOF who have one title... or none. As we know, titles are sometimes a total fluke (e.g., UConn in 2011).

cto said:
Bullshet! What is this obsession with titles? He is the second winningest coach in history. Look at all the coaches in the HOF who have one title... or none. As we know, titles are sometimes a total fluke (e.g., UConn in 2011).

I want another title, Joyce. Tired of UConn fans rubbing it in my face.

Not to mention our tradition of flaming out in late February and March.

It needs to change.

We've become like the boy who cried wolf -- or Kansas.

Titles are everything, the biggest knock on our program is that we only have one. Duke has 4, Uconn has 3, all of the elite programs have multiple titles, I am tired of being stuck on one.

docsu said:
Well titles are only how any team, player, or coach is measured, in any sport in history. But hey, we have a lot of wins over Colgate.

The regular season sets you up for the tourney, which is all that really matters to most people.

Nature of the beast.

Well titles are only how any team, player, or coach is measured, in any sport in history.

But hey, we have a lot of wins over Colgate.
Yeah, Ted Williams and Ernie Banks have a lot of titles.

Yeah, Ted Williams and Ernie Banks had a lot of titles.

Baseball is different though, it is so hard for one guy to have that big of an impact. Banks played on some really bad teams.

College basketball is all about the head coach.

None. Each win is like a child to him. We are more obsessed with this subject than he is. He wants to win every game... whether it be in November or March.

Holy crap - that means he has 941 more children than Shawn Kemp.

Briancuse said:
Good point, I think the better question is how many wins would the fans trade for another title, and which wins? Would you guys trade in the 6 ot win, and gmacs run in the big east tournament for another title?

Yes I would.

Yeah, Ted Williams and Ernie Banks have a lot of titles.

I actually thought about baseball right after I hit "post." A little different, way more stats-driven.

The following coaches have one title win: Phog Allen, Frank McGuire, Pete Newell, Al McGuire, Joe B. Hall, Jim Valvano, John Thompson, Rollie Massimino, Larry Brown, Nolan RIchardson, Lute Olson, Nat Holman, Tom Izzo, Bill Self, John Calipari (and a lot of others). There are some pretty well-aclaimed coaches on that list. And a lot of other famous coaches... with zero titles.

"Winningest coach" is a really overrated title...considering 38 years on the job and decent proportion of gimme wins that just about every coach on the high d1 level gets.

Coach K is almost certainly going to retire with over one thousand wins...but no one will use that as the primary measure of his greatness.

Is it possible...that this is the reason we sometimes have an underdeveloped bench to turn to when things start falling apart? I mean I admire the game at a time thing, you need that to succeed in anything - but its also the coach's job to step back and look at the season as a whole and prepare for the unknown.

When it comes to legacy, consistent winning is great, but titles get the edge in my opinion.

I want another title, Joyce. Tired of UConn fans rubbing it in my face.

Not to mention our tradition of flaming out in late February and March.

It needs to change.

We've become like the boy who cried wolf -- or Kansas.
Change it ... by moving out of Connecticut. UConn is totally irrelevant to anyone who does not live east of New Haven.

cto said:
The following coaches have one title win: Phog Allen, Frank McGuire, Pete Newell, Al McGuire, Joe B. Hall, Jim Valvano, John Thompson, Rollie Massimino, Larry Brown, Nolan RIchardson, Lute Olson, Nat Holman, Tom Izzo, Bill Self, John Calipari (and a lot of others). There are some pretty well-aclaimed coaches on that list. And a lot of other famous coaches... with zero titles.

Good list, Joyce.

I think the problem is many probably think that the second winningest coach in history should have more than one title.

We've had some bad luck, recently and earlier, but most fans don't remember that.

cto said:
Change it ... by moving out of Connecticut. UConn is totally irrelevant to anyone who does not live east of New Haven.

Unfortunately I live east of New Haven, and most of Connecticut is east of New Haven.

But I've taken your advice. My place is for sale.

I don't know about JB but I'd trade at least 100 - 200 for another title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom