What's the plan versus Wagner? Do you sit the guys that are dinged up | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What's the plan versus Wagner? Do you sit the guys that are dinged up

We all agree starters should play a bit and then rest. But Dino will play the starters as long as he can. My guess is definitely the first half if not for 3 quarters. We've seen it before from him over the years.

We all agree starters should play a bit and then rest. But Dino will play the starters as long as he can. My guess is definitely the first half if not for 3 quarters. We've seen it before from him over the years.

True, but I don't think Dino ever had to wait until game 5 for the FCS, with a bye week after it.

My biggest worry for NC State is that we're going to be rusty. The last 2 years, our worst performance of each season was after the bye. They were also at Louisville, so we don't have to worry about that.

And I do recognize that our best performance of 2019 was after one of the two bye weeks that season.

It's a big break though, with FCS then bye.

Not sure I agree with the sit Tucker talk. If he has any significant injuries then obviously do so. But if were just talking sore and bruised I think he plays. He will have an additional weeks rest after Wagner. He doesn't need to play the whole game but I think Tucker is pressing a bit and feels some pressure to put up stats. I want him in a good head space. He has some expectations and I think its obviously he isn't too happy with his production thus far this year. He needs a game where he is PLEASED with his performance and has put up some rushing numbers. He should be able to do that in a half of football.

I'd also really like to see if someone else can play center. Vet may be our best option there but maybe not and i'd like to see what someone else could do as well and not just because he hasn't been stellar at Center. I think moving him to right tackle may be a better spot for him based on production at both spots last year. Possibly Bleich can snap the ball maybe that is a better fit. That would get Davis to Guard where he should be more effective. We need a Guard to be solid and Davis at Tackle has not been great. I'd also like to see Cruz see a significant time at Right Tackle. I think he will be a good one there. He has the measurables and the athletic ability to play it. Seems he just needs experience. Maybe Vet could be moved to Guard and kick Ellis to second team. To me, you need to send a message to Ellis that he needs to put in the work and be more disciplined in his conditioning and appetite because there is no reason he should be 375 lbs. He isn't really getting a push and his pass blocking is suffering from bad weight.

Also want to see a good deal of reps for Hatcher and Adams at an outside WR spot. Need someone else cutting into Alfords minutes like Isiah Jones was. See what they do and get them some confidence and get them comfortable in games.

Last edited:
Rest anyone who is hurt. Everyone else plays at least the first quarter. Get some rhythm. By halftime everyone should be backups.
this 100%. Wagner is putrid, a garbage offense at Rutgers put up 66 on them. put our healthy starters in until it's like 35-0, which should be halfway thru the 2nd quarter and then start emptying the bench. While performance vs a stiff like Wagner won't mean a lot, it is still good for backups like Del Rio Wilson, Price etc to get some extended time. Not sure what is up with Price, we have not been running the ball well, we could use some more help there, not just from the OL which is a given.

I want to see QB2 since Shrader plays with no fear and we might need a Del Rio to win a late season game

I want to see RB2 and 3 since there’s a reason Allen is 2 over an older guy
I'm starting to think Allen is #2 because Price is either hurting or because it was a recruiting pitch to keep him committed

Because there is a bye week after this game and Wagner is historically bad, I say play starters on a pitch count. 1 quarter no matter what. In one quarter you should be up two touchdowns minimum. Then no other starter sees the field after that.

Not sure I agree with the sit Tucker talk. If he has any significant injuries then obviously do so. But if were just talking sore and bruised I think he plays. He will have an additional weeks rest after Wagner. He doesn't need to play the whole game but I think Tucker is pressing a bit and feels some pressure to put up stats. I want him in a good head space. He has some expectations and I think its obviously he isn't too happy with his production thus far this year. He needs a game where he is PLEASED with his performance and has put up some rushing numbers. He should be able to do that in a half of football.

I'd also really like to see if someone else can play center. Vet may be our best option there but maybe not and i'd like to see what someone else could do as well and not just because he hasn't been stellar at Center. I think moving him to right tackle may be a better spot for him based on production at both spots last year. If possibly Bleich can snap the ball maybe that is a better fit. That would get Davis to Guard where he should be more effective. We need a Guard to be solid and Davis at Tackle has not been great. I'd also like to see Cruz see a significant time at Right Tackle. I think he will be a good one there. He has the measurables and the athletica ability to play it. Seems he just needs experience. Maybe Vet could be moved to Guard and kick Ellis to second team. To me you need to send a message to Ellis that he needs to put in the work and be more disciplined in his conditioning and appetite because there is no reason he should be 375 lbs. He isn't really getting a push and his pass blocking is suffering from bad weight.

Also want to see a good deal of reps for Hatcher and Adams at an outside WR spot. Need someone else cutting into Alfords minutes like Isiah Jones was. See what they do and get them some confidence and get them comfortable in games.
I'm convinced it's something beyond sore, and bruised. He hasnt had that explosive burst. I feel like last game, they pretty much exclusively ran him between the tackles, or got him some passes in the flats in space. I suspect the lack of outside runs last game, is because he, for whatever reason, is lacking his ability to get the edge, plant his foot in the ground, and explode upfield. His lateral quickness seems to be limited.

I'm starting to think Allen is #2 because Price is either hurting or because it was a recruiting pitch to keep him committed
Allen looked pretty darn good in the spring and I think he just won it. I think Price is still good too though. Just not going to get carries as much as we use Tucker.

Our offense has to work out some kinks. Until they figure it out they will stay on the field.

If there was a way to bet on number of series for our starters and it was set at 5.5, I’d bet my whole 401k on the over. And that is unfortunate
Anything in there still?

Once we are up 3 TDs, I would take out Shrader, Tucker, Gadsden. The rest of the O needs to play and get their spit together. If we are up by more than 24 at halftime, I would then play the 2nd stringers. If we are still up by at least 24 with under 10 mins left, I would play the 3rd stringers.

Backups should be in the latest mid 2nd. Any player in a boot during week should be off limits. I look forward to seeing Del Rio for both seeing how he looks (do we have a capable #2?) and invariably for the knuckleheads who will be chirping about how awesome he spins the ball and should be starting ahead of Garrett in game 6.

Let Sean eat for the first half or sit him the whole game? I’d consider giving Shrader the entire game off just to rest. Do some experimenting with the OL. Dino says they all go out as one unit, so if GS and Sean are in, so is our current OL.

Let Sean eat for the first half or sit him the whole game? I’d consider giving Shrader the entire game off just to rest. Do some experimenting with the OL. Dino says they all go out as one unit, so if GS and Sean are in, so is our current OL.
Definitely not the whole game. He will go the entire first half at least.

Starters will play through halftime if not the third quarter. Team needs a jumpstart
You’re correct. This offense has too many problems to not play more than a half. I think the best approach is to have several backups play with the starters. Playing backups entirely with backups doesnt always accomplish a lot.

In the PC Dino is saying we have to take it seriously, upsets happen all the time etc but he’s obviously being polite.

Starters will play through halftime if not the third quarter. Team needs a jumpstart
I’d also throw in some trick plays to (1) practice them in a low pressure setting and (2) give NC St something they have to practice for

Yup. This is DB's MO and probably the way the vast majority of P5 HCs would handle playing Wagner.

Price said in an interview when he chose to come here that he knew he might not play much this year and was fine with it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom