What's the worst loss in your time as an SU fan? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

What's the worst loss in your time as an SU fan?

So, at the Cayuga dorm in Oswego we watched. Thought we had it won... Keith smart.

That was the worst baseball loss in my life, I couldn't sleep a wink that night.

The Timo Perez baserunning disaster in the 2000 world series was a close 2nd.

88 Game 4 against Dodgers -- that was the end of what should have been a dynasty. Mike Scoscia.

Just seeing copenrath's face (or however you spell that) brings up the bile. I can still see BJ Sorentine waltzing over the half court line and heaving in 3's from 24-28 feet as though they were foul shots -- really a disgusting memory that still haunts. The only other dream that scary has spiders in it.
What kills me about that loss is JB had a perfect opportunity to do something different, not based on the team, but the court. There were dead spots in the court. We were more athletic. If we press, we get turnovers.
I handed in my vanity plates (03 Champs) after that game.

77 UNC Charolette,,St Bona Western Kenntucky 78,79 Penn,80 Old Dominion 81 Tulsa,82 Bradley,83 Ohio State,84 Virginia,85 GTech,86 NavyNotre Dame,St Johns 88 Rhode Island any Georgetown,St Johns, Nova B.C. Game and the aforementioned by others That ODU Game (1980) the winning Basket was disallowed

What kills me about that loss is JB had a perfect opportunity to do something different, not based on the team, but the court. There were dead spots in the court. We were more athletic. If we press, we get turnovers.
I handed in my vanity plates (03 Champs) after that game.
I don't think it was JB's best work, for sure, or the team's. Anytime u get beat by a team with inferior talent ... makes you wonder what different things could have been done. Extending to the shooters is certainly one of those .. if the kid is going to jack 3's from half court, start picking him up at half court.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure JB agonized over that game afterwards ... even though he claims to let things go.

Too young for the Keith Smart shot to affect me so i'd have to say Final 4 in Atlanta against Michigan. We sucked all game but should have been at the line with Triche shooting an And1 for the lead late in the game, instead they called a bs charge and we lost a chance at a very winnable Championship Game.

Lawrence Moten.

Arkansas.

Time out.

We won the game. Soul crushing.

Absolutely the Arkansas game. It was at a time that made it feel so much worse too. Team seemed to be perpetually snake bitten. At the end of that year, I began to question Boeheim sticking around here.

Absolutely the Arkansas game. It was at a time that made it feel so much worse too. Team seemed to be perpetually snake bitten. At the end of that year, I began to question Boeheim sticking around here.

I need to clarify this with the "i didn't start rooting for Syracuse until the 1994 Kentucky game". That was the week I sent in my acceptance to Syracuse. Before that I was a BC Eagle fan through and through. I have no emotional attachment to the Indiana game. If i was a fan then, i'm sure that would be the nut crusher of all nut crushers.

heartbreaking loss in tourney: Indiana

most frustrating tourney loss: Richmond

worse regular season loss, home vs pitt in 2008

Too young for the Keith Smart shot to affect me so i'd have to say Final 4 in Atlanta against Michigan. We sucked all game but should have been at the line with Triche shooting an And1 for the lead late in the game, instead they called a bs charge and we lost a chance at a very winnable Championship Game.

Would of been a two shot foul. JB Should of put the ball in Triches hands earlier that game. MCW was a mess.

Would of been a two shot foul. JB Should of put the ball in Triches hands earlier that game. MCW was a mess.
Ahh ok, regardless, if Triche makes both we have a one point lead with around a minute left, right? That loss sucked because we could have easily won the Championship game.

Ahh ok, regardless, if Triche makes both we have a one point lead with around a minute left, right? That loss sucked because we could have easily won the Championship game.

It would've been a tie game, Michigan ball, with all our guards in foul trouble inside a minute left.

What may be hard for the youngsters to understand is that the Indiana game was so much more than just a game - it was a culmination of your lifetime of Syracuse fandom - slowly building since our improbable run in '75, the program built up under JB. We had become nationally recognized under Louie & Bowie "sic" ;), The Big East & Pearl - so close but not quite there. This game completely felt like this was our destiny to take and it would be all wine & roses thereafter. The emptiness felt afterwards was not just from the loss (and the way we lost), but all that built up to that, and that brass ring that would be just out of our grasp. Hard to fathom that now since we have competed for (and won) championships and been considered one of the country's elites for some time. Now the games are taken at "game value", back then it seemed like so much more...

Last edited:
for those old enough to remember '87 i dont think anything will ever come close to that. i was only 8 so i got over it quick. first loss that really stuck with me was richmond. but to answer the question im going with butler. arkansas, vermont, ohio st, michigan are all up there, but that 2010 team was something special. and even without AO the way we dismantled gonzaga i really thought we could still win it all. to be up 54-50 and then just self destruct down the stretch was a killer.

theres should be seperate thread about regular season losses causes no regular season loss can come close to a ncaa tourny loss.

This is off topic but, I just want to say, I'm sitting on 19,999 likes. The next person who gives me a like is making history. Do it for the children.

The Indiana game was the most heartbreaking. However, I've never been as miserable as watching the Vermont game. I hated every second of it and I had to behave myself because I was watching it with my in-laws.

for those old enough to remember '87 i dont think anything will ever come close to that. i was only 8 so i got over it quick. first loss that really stuck with me was richmond. but to answer the question im going with butler. arkansas, vermont, ohio st, michigan are all up there, but that 2010 team was something special. and even without AO the way we dismantled gonzaga i really thought we could still win it all. to be up 54-50 and then just self destruct down the stretch was a killer.

theres should be seperate thread about regular season losses causes no regular season loss can come close to a ncaa tourny loss.

I agree totally with your last point. I'm surprised there have been several regular season losses mentioned. We have had some doozies in the regular season but I can usually brush those off pretty quickly unless something really traumatic happens.

88 Game 4 against Dodgers -- that was the end of what should have been a dynasty. Mike Scoscia.

I was only 5 at the time, so I vaguely remember the game. That 88 NLCS is actually my first recollection of watching baseball.

1) Indiana. That was our first national championship.
2) Arkansas. The celebration had started
3 & 4) Richmond and Vermont Richmond more historically important but Vermont was somehow more disgusting.
5) BC in the '82 BET and Villanova in the '90 BET. We gave up the last 12 and 18 points to lose.
7) Western Kentucky '78, Tulsa '81 and Georgetown '84 BET. Refs stole it.
10) Pitt '08. Paul F. Harris.

I was only 5 at the time, so I vaguely remember the game. That 88 NLCS is actually my first recollection of watching baseball.

Somehow, that and the Terry Pendleton game the previous year seem like the same game. :(:(

77 UNC Charolette,,St Bona Western Kenntucky 78,79 Penn,80 Old Dominion 81 Tulsa,82 Bradley,83 Ohio State,84 Virginia,85 GTech,86 NavyNotre Dame,St Johns 88 Rhode Island any Georgetown,St Johns, Nova B.C. Game and the aforementioned by others That ODU Game (1980) the winning Basket was disallowed
Arrrrrrrrrrgh Navy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom