Whats this team's ceiling? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Whats this team's ceiling?

GoSU96 said:
18 wins

20-11.

That was my preseason prediction and I'm sticking with it.

The ACC is very beatable outside of the top 2-3 teams.

cuseguy said:
20-11. That was my preseason prediction and I'm sticking with it. The ACC is very beatable outside of the top 2-3 teams.

18 wins wouldn't have gotten them in the NIT anyways. It's not our father's NIT anymore.

miami home probable loss? no way.

They shot 10-29 from the arc and rang up 90 in Cameron. They're well coached and very athletic which gave us fits last year, and this year we're even less equipped to match up that way. Miami will be a load. Go Orange!

They shot 10-29 from the arc and rang up 90 in Cameron. They're well coached and very athletic which gave us fits last year, and this year we're even less equipped to match up that way. Miami will be a load. Go Orange!

sure it will be a tough game but probable loss? no way. we're at home and we'll be favored to win. its a coin flip at best.

4 Definite wins BC twice, VT home, Pitt home

HC, I respect your optimism, but how can these games possibly be considered "definite" wins? Wake/Ga Tech/VT are a combined 1-11 in conference and we beat them by a combined 6 points. And there is no coach in college basketball more comfortable against our zone than Jamie Dixon.

Don't get me wrong, we should be favored in all these games, but "definite" is just way too confident.

SU can win any game in which Roc stays out of foul trouble and C&G shoot the three ball like they have been, and that includes winning 2 games per weekend for three weekends straight
Is that all??

I'm not sure I understand that mindset. We have already proven that we can basically beat Villanova (who is on pace to be a 1 or 2 seed), so why couldn't be beat a team like that again in a Sweet 16 game?

The NCAA tournament is a gloriously entertaining cesspool of randomness.

Because we barely beat bottom dweller ACC teams. We haven't proven anything since we didn't beat Villanova. Close doesn't count in the NCAA's. We have potential , but at the moment I would be more than happy if we make it to the sweet sixteen. That's pretty reasonable for this team.

Orange2389 said:
Because we barely beat bottom dweller ACC teams. We haven't proven anything since we didn't beat Villanova. Close doesn't count in the NCAA's. We have potential , but at the moment I would be more than happy if we make it to the sweet sixteen. That's pretty reasonable for this team.

Yes but even Kentucky has had close games that if I am not mistaken the refs helped them with. Other teams of our caliber have had What losses. Our closest are Cal and Michigan, and that's only cause they've been losing of late. Of course not having McCullough hurts in the long run but so far we are at the top of the standings in the ACC with only the number 2 team in the nation there with us.

Of course it may all be moot with sanctions.

Sistine_chapel.jpg

ive seen some people say on here "if kaleb or roberson can score more we can be a tournament team". my expectations are a little higher than that if those guys start to score more consistently. i think the team now is good enough to make it, probably close to the bubble but still get in. if kaleb and/or roberson improve offensively then i dont think making the 2nd weekend is out of the question.

do you think the potential is there for this team to go on a uconn/butler type of cinderella run in march? or even if everything breaks right we're still not that good? i guarantee 1 year ago today uconn fans werent thinking national championship.

Lead guard play is subpar here and they had Napier/Boatwright. Napier was a bonafide college stud guard. Maybe Roberson could pull a DeAndre Daniels in March. I still think this team has been barely treading water against bad ACC teams and we're in for a rude awakening against Duke, Louisville, Virginia, and probably UNC/ND. NC State and Miami will be tough too. I will be thrilled with a tourney bid but I just have a bad feeling that our only real 'quality' win will be Iowa which is a shaky resume. Hope I'm wrong.

The ceiling is the National Championship, it is every year we're in the tournament. Not that we'd be the favorite but good things are possible when you play well.

SU can win any game in which Roc stays out of foul trouble and C&G shoot the three ball like they have been, and that includes winning 2 games per weekend for three weekends straight
Anyone who has followed college basketball for more than five minutes and has actually watched a game not involving SU should realize this is true. Still, nearly every season that this team doesn't steamroll each opponent on the schedule we get a bunch of hand-wringing posts in January (or sooner) bemoaning SU's NCAAT chances and declaring every conference game a "must win."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom