What's up with CJ's three point shooting? | Syracusefan.com

What's up with CJ's three point shooting?

Eric15

Living Legend
Last year he was fantastic shooting 47% from behind the arc, and this year he has regressed to 28%.

Defenses are keying on him more and last year he was guarded by the opposing teams 4 while James was defended by the 3. Now he is being defend by 3s who are much better and use to guarding out to the 3pt line.

It is a little weird. Last year we had fewer deep threats on the floor, so you'd think they would have keyed on him. This season we are shooting much better from deep, so you'd think that would spread out the attention, but Thickburger is struggling.

Truly, it is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

Defenses are keying on him more and last year he was guarded by the opposing teams 4 while James was defended by the 3. Now he is being defend by 3s who are much better and use to guarding out to the 3pt line.

This and I think he's pressing too much, which is showing up in the turnovers as well. He has to know by now that he has enough support that he doesn't have to be THE guy every night which is why his 4 assists tonight with only 2 TOs might be a good sign for future things to come.

Cheers,
Neil

It is a little weird. Last year we had fewer deep threats on the floor, so you'd think they would have keyed on him. This season we are shooting much better from deep, so you'd think that would spread out the attention, but Thickburger is struggling.

Truly, it is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

How do you figure fewer deep threats last year?

This year we have Cooney, Fair and occasionally Ennis.

Last year we had Southerland (84 / 40%), Triche (49 / 29%), MCW (35 / 29%) Fair (30 / 47%) and occasionally Cooney (28 / 26%). I realize all of those guys weren't on the floor at the same time, but I think Southerland, Triche, MCW and Fair were out there at times together.

How do you figure fewer deep threats last year?

This year we have Cooney, Fair and occasionally Ennis.

Last year we had Southerland (84 / 40%), Triche (49 / 29%), MCW (35 / 29%) Fair (30 / 47%) and occasionally Cooney (28 / 26%). I realize all of those guys weren't on the floor at the same time, but I think Southerland, Triche, MCW and Fair were out there at times together.
You consider guys that shoot under 30% to be deep threats?

Every three he took last year seemed like he was wide open, and when I say wide open it seemed like there wasn't a player within 6 feet of him. This year he's pushing a little too hard and not getting those open shots as he's being guarded closer.

This and I think he's pressing too much, which is showing up in the turnovers as well. He has to know by now that he has enough support that he doesn't have to be THE guy every night which is why his 4 assists tonight with only 2 TOs might be a good sign for future things to come.

Cheers,
Neil

Agreed! I think he is also trying the extend his game out for the next level I've seen him try more crossovers in 13 games than he did in 3 years!

I think it's small sample and volume. He took 64 last year in 40 games, so basically 1.5 per game. Now he's at 40 in 13 games, so right around 3. So he's taking twice as many. That doesn't explain everything, but it probably stands to reason that if you're taking twice as many 3's they aren't all as open as the ones last year. I wouldn't have projected him for the high 40's this year, but I bet at the en dof the year he's better than 28%

Also today he had a couple that were in and out. Those will roll in his favor at times as well.

I was wondering the same thing watching today's game, but I think he'll be fine, and we'll see more start to go in sooner than later.

It's not THAT small. Last year he was 30/64 and this year he's 11/40.
it is a small sample size, posted after an 0-5 day before conference play even begins. He goes 6 for his next 10 and he's up to 34%, for instance. At this level of sample size, a hot or cold run in either direction can really move the percentages.

Personally, I think it is a combination of a small sample size + the fact that CJ overachieved last year at 48% + the fact that CJ is taking more 3s per game and not just the completely wide open ones.

Every three he took last year seemed like he was wide open, and when I say wide open it seemed like there wasn't a player within 6 feet of him. This year he's pushing a little too hard and not getting those open shots as he's being guarded closer.

Yep. His shot selection was excellent last season.

Thank you for making this post.

We know how things turned out after some poster authored a similarly titled post last season.

I don't think CJ has played great overall through 13 games. Too many turnovers and forcing way too much. Has been better lately but he also hasn't shot the ball nearly as good as he's capable of.

I don't think CJ has played great overall through 13 games. Too many turnovers and forcing way too much. Has been better lately but he also hasn't shot the ball nearly as good as he's capable of.

He's taken on a much larger role in the offense. Prior to today, he had got his true shooting pretty close to where it was last year, but the big difference is a lot more turnovers. I wouldn't be surprised if he brings them down somewhat, but you probably have to expect an elevated TO rate with the higher usage

He's taken on a much larger role in the offense. Prior to today, he had got his true shooting pretty close to where it was last year, but the big difference is a lot more turnovers. I wouldn't be surprised if he brings them down somewhat, but you probably have to expect an elevated TO rate with the higher usage
Fair was in a funk today. His shot was off and even his free throws were banging off the rim. He didn't look sharp, but he was getting rid of the ball when double-teamed and his rebounding was impressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom