When is the next time we give out the #44? | Syracusefan.com

When is the next time we give out the #44?

CuseFaninVT

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Rebounder
Just wondering if we have any recruits in the pipeline that are worth bringing out that big gun.

ehhh. DC and Wallace were great, but this is more of a football thing to me. I'm not even sure many guys like to wear that high a number anymore.

I think it has to be something that the coaching staff actively utilizes as a recruiting tool, otherwise the significance will be lost on prospective recruits. Offering the number could be used as an incentive when building a relationship with a recruit, educating them about the tradition here and that we want to offer the hallowed number to the right recruit because they are WORTHY of it. Otherwise, it isn't going to recruit itself and will offer zero value on the recruiting trail.

Most players will all come in with their own preferences about which number they want.

Is that even a thing for hoops? I know Coleman and Wallace both wore it and then Walton was supposed to. So it was becoming a PF thing at Cuse.

Has it been a purposeful decision to not have anyone wear it since? Or is it just coincidence that nobody has wanted the number?

Hameir Wright wore that fo-fo for Albany Academy this season.

22362108-large.jpg

There you go -- that might be a guy to offer it to.

I like Wright but I don't think he's up to the level of the number if we decide to build it up again as a significant thing.

Last edited:
Just wondering if we have any recruits in the pipeline that are worth bringing out that big gun.
Was always surprised that Carmelo didn't wear it. Maybe he was one of those who came in with his own ideas about what number to wear, as RF mentions above.

Was always surprised that Carmelo didn't wear it. Maybe he was one of those who came in with his own ideas about what number to wear, as RF mentions above.
Didn't he wear 15 in honor of Michael Lloyd?

Didn't he wear 15 in honor of Michael Lloyd?
He wore #15, all right. Not sure about the Michael Lloyd connection. Maybe in honor of Wade Wilson, instead.

Lol offer it to Jordan Tucker if it gets him to commit right now. Anything to make the outlook of 2017/2018 better. Not really even kidding.

I believe it was John Wallace. I might be mistaken, but I think I remember Winfred Walton was promised it.

Is that even a thing for hoops? I know Coleman and Wallace both wore it and then Walton was supposed to. So it was becoming a PF thing at Cuse.

Has it been a purposeful decision to not have anyone wear it since? Or is it just coincidence that nobody has wanted the number?
It's not even a thing for football anymore, other than a novelty.

I definitely agree with RF2044 in that it needs to be used as a recruiting tool.

The cats on the lacrosse board were discussing this recently with regards to #22. Good points brought up in that thread.

IMO, it would be best used as a selective recruiting tool, to those once in a decade PF/C recruits.

Another idea I agree with is giving it to an upperclassman PF/C that has achieved to the level. I think that would help further the legacy of the number.

I definitely agree with RF2044 in that it needs to be used as a recruiting tool.

The cats on the lacrosse board were discussing this recently with regards to #22. Good points brought up in that thread.

IMO, it would be best used as a selective recruiting tool, to those once in a decade PF/C recruits.

Another idea I agree with is giving it to an upperclassman PF/C that has achieved to the level. I think that would help further the legacy of the number.

The legacy of Peter Wynne?

It's not even a thing for football anymore, other than a novelty.

Right, but we know why for football. They hung up that big garbage bag looking thing with a 44 on it and officially retired it for awhile. For hoops, it seems like it just kind of went away without a mention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom