When Shafer was hired | Syracusefan.com

When Shafer was hired

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
How many here would guessed we'd only have 2 assistants remaining? I'm not criticizing b/c I like most of Shafer's hires, but it has been just shocking.

How many here would guessed we'd only have 2 assistants remaining? I'm not criticizing b/c I like most of Shafer's hires, but it has been just shocking.

Definitely shocking if the objective was to retain the staff and have program continuity.

But in retrospect, I'm excited about bringing somebody on board like McDonald who is reportedly a bulldog recruiter. Hackett was a pretty big gamble when he was named OC, so I'm willing to give McDonald a shot.

How about checking on what other new hires have done? I will start - highest regarded HC hire this off-season was Kliff Kingsbury at Texas Tech. Their football site now lists ONE assistant coach. That is ONE holdover - also the only assistant that they have right now.

Willing to bet Auburn, Arkansas, Colorado and others are very similar.

Definitely shocking if the objective was to retain the staff and have program continuity.

But in retrospect, I'm excited about bringing somebody on board like McDonald who is reportedly a bulldog recruiter. Hackett was a pretty big gamble when he was named OC, so I'm willing to give McDonald a shot.

How about keeping ZERO and not even giving them a chance to sell themselves?

Twenty-four hours after being announced as Auburn’s newest head football coach, Gus Malzahn has cleaned out his coaching staff.

Malzahn told the staff put in place by former coach Gene Chizik that all would be let go. The fired coaches can interview with the new coordinators to remain at Auburn, once Malzahn hires them.
The fired coaches include offensive coordinator Scott Loeffler, defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder, wide receivers coach Trooper Taylor, offensive line coach Jeff Grimes, running backs coach Curtis Luper, special teams coordinator Jay Boulware, defensive line coach Mike Pelton, linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen and secondary coach Willie Martinez.

Colorado cleaned house too - see a trend?

After the University of Colorado hired Mike MacIntyre to fill the place of head football coach Jon Embree, MacIntyre has started to hire his own staff.

Six of MacIntyre’s assistant coaches from San Jose State are joining him in Colorado. Kent Baer, Brian Lindgren, Klayton Adams, Gary Bernardi, Charles Clark and Jim Jeffcoat are set to become a part of the Buffalo staff.
There are three spots left to fill.

After the University of Colorado hired Mike MacIntyre to fill the place of head football coach Jon Embree, MacIntyre has started to hire his own staff.

Six of MacIntyre’s assistant coaches from San Jose State are joining him in Colorado. Kent Baer, Brian Lindgren, Klayton Adams, Gary Bernardi, Charles Clark and Jim Jeffcoat are set to become a part of the Buffalo staff.

I'm not sure why you're addressing this to me. I just pointed out that if the objective was to maintain staff continuity, then the objective was not accomplished. I have no problem with it working out the way it has, however, for the reasons outlined above.

VO...the school's you're citing all had horrendous seasons and are making HC changes for completely different reasons then we are.

Gross said as much in his presser when he stated that our job search situation was somewhat unique.

Imo, (and I could be way off on this) I think that it was Gross' and Shafer's intention to retain a larger portion of the staff than what currently remains. On the other hand, I've been really impressed with the rumored hires.

I'm not sure why you're addressing this to me. I just pointed out that if the objective was to maintain staff continuity, then the objective was not accomplished. I have no problem with it working out the way it has, however, for the reasons outlined above.
Not addressing it to you - addressing it to the thread that you started.

I don't see a trend unless you can show me that they hired from within for HC and then provide quotes from the outgoing alumnus coach.

VO...the school's you're citing all had horrendous seasons and are making HC changes for completely different reasons then we are.

Gross said as much in his presser when he stated that our job search situation was somewhat unique.

Imo, (and I could be way off on this) I think that it was Gross' and Shafer's intention to retain a larger portion of the staff than what currently remains. On the other hand, I've been really impressed with the rumored hires.

Wisconsin was pretty good -

Madison (WQOW) -- The mass exodus of assistant coaches continues for the Wisconsin football team, nearly prompting a return to the sidelines for Barry Alvarez.
There are now six UW assistant coaches who have taken other jobs, in addition to head coach Bret Bielema. Both defensive coordinators Chris Ash and Charlie Partridge will join Bielema at Arkansas. Offensive coordinator Matt Canada and tight ends coach Eddie Faulkner are headed to NC State to join former UW defensive coordinator Dave Doeren. Receivers coach Zach Azzanni took a job at Tennessee and linebackers coach Andy Buh is going to California.
What's more, running backs coach Thomas Hammock is weighing an offer to go to Arkansas, as well.

If Hammock leaves, that means there will be just two assistant coaches left at Wisconsin: Bart Miller, who started the season as a grad assistant before taking over as offensive line coach, and Ben Strickland, who coaches the Badgers' secondary.

Alvarez has lost nearly his entire football coaching staff. As the list began to grow by the day, Alvarez says he considered making a bold move of his own.

"I was thinking about doing it myself just to keep them," says Alvarez. "But if I did it for another year, we'd be in the same situation next year."

I don't see a trend unless you can show me that they hired from within for HC and then provide quotes from the outgoing alumnus coach.

This will never be addressed.

I didn’t think too much about it. It’s always a crap shoot even when you promote from within.

I suspected right off the bat (before Shafer was even hired) that we’d lose Hackett (buffalo), Henderson (buffalo), Adkins (back south) and Wheatley (big 10). I had beliefs that Morrison (big 10) and Anselmo (retire) could be possibilities to move on.

After Shafer was hired I thought no question Morrison and Anselmo would be here but still not the others.

I guess at this point I have to assume Morrison is gone and I believe if he is it might be his own choice. This is the only bummer to me. But he’s a Big 10 guy and I suspect, like Wheatley, would like to climb the ladder. Shafer didn’t promote to DC?

All in all, I’m still happy with the Shafer hire. Given all the realistic candidates there may have been a one or two others I would not have mind, but all things considered, at this juncture, I still believe he’s the right man for this job. No buyers remorse from me.

I’m not real sold on this RB coach – and I frankly didn’t like the video I just watched – but nine 1,000 yard runners is nothing to scoff at. He’s got to get some credit for that. If the guy can recruit and his backs can pass block I’ll be happy.

All the other coaching hires so far look though like the consummate professional type coaches bringing in a great deal of experience. Other than the promotion of McDonald there so far isn’t a rookie hire. The same couldn’t be said about Doug.

I didn’t think too much about it. It’s always a crap shoot even when you promote from within.

I suspected right off the bat (before Shafer was even hired) that we’d lose Hackett (buffalo), Henderson (buffalo), Adkins (back south) and Wheatley (big 10). I had beliefs that Morrison (big 10) and Anselmo (retire) could be possibilities to move on.

After Shafer was hired I thought no question Morrison and Anselmo would be here but still not the others.

I guess at this point I have to assume Morrison is gone and I believe if he is it might be his own choice. This is the only bummer to me. But he’s a Big 10 guy and I suspect, like Wheatley, would like to climb the ladder. Shafer didn’t promote to DC?

All in all, I’m still happy with the Shafer hire. Given all the realistic candidates there may have been a one or two others I would not have mind, but all things considered, at this juncture, I still believe he’s the right man for this job. No buyers remorse from me.

I’m not real sold on this RB coach – and I frankly didn’t like the video I just watched – but nine 1,000 yard runners is nothing to scoff at. He’s got to get some credit for that. If the guy can recruit and his backs can pass block I’ll be happy.

All the other coaching hires so far look though like the consummate professional type coaches bringing in a great deal of experience. Other than the promotion of McDonald there so far isn’t a rookie hire. The same couldn’t be said about Doug.
If Shafer hires a rookie...I hope it's Catalina.

Once we lost Hackett and a couple of assistants, the idea of preserving continuity went out the window. At that point, I think it was preferable to clean house and for HCSS be able to bring all of his own people in, rather than have a mixture of holdovers (who were really FHCDM's hires) and new faces.

Other than the promotion of McDonald there so far isn’t a rookie hire. The same couldn’t be said about Doug.

McDonald isn't a rookie hire, either. He's been an OC [WMU, mid major], and has also coached TE / WR at several upper echelon BCS programs. This is a "promotion" for him from where he was at Miami / Ark, but he's been an OC before.

Yeah, I view that as a part of the reason for the quick action to hire Shafer and am a bit surprised we lost almost everyone. I won't pretend to comment on the quality of the guys we brought in b/c I know none of them -- which is fine but I wouldn't know where to start in terms of commenting. But I think the goal was a bit of continuity and that obviously won't really be the case for the most part. Then again, perhaps Shafer and Daoust mean the defensive system and approach should be pretty similar.

Yeah, I view that as a part of the reason for the quick action to hire Shafer and am a bit surprised we lost almost everyone. I won't pretend to comment on the quality of the guys we brought in b/c I know none of them -- which is fine but I wouldn't know where to start in terms of commenting. But I think the goal was a bit of continuity and that obviously won't really be the case for the most part. Then again, perhaps Shafer and Daoust mean the defensive system and approach should be pretty similar.
When Doug talked about why he hired Shafer, he said it was because they had complementary philosophies on running a program, more or less. Doug wanted the offense to be one thing, and he wanted a defensive coach whose defense caused him problems, made him have to think about how to game-plan to face that defense. Shafer provides continuity of philosophy without having to ask every prospective hire, "What kind of offense do you want to run? Defense?" Hopefully it translates into having a new OC whose system is well suited to the existing roster, so we don't have to turn over the entire personnel on O.

McDonald isn't a rookie hire, either. He's been an OC [WMU, mid major], and has also coached TE / WR at several upper echelon BCS programs. This is a "promotion" for him from where he was at Miami / Ark, but he's been an OC before.

I understand he's been coaching for about 11/12 years , and an OC for 1 year but he's mostly been a career WR coach. He's a rookie Coordinator far as I'm concerned.

I understand he's been coaching for about 11/12 years , and an OC for 1 year but he's mostly been a career WR coach. He's a rookie Coordinator far as I'm concerned.

I don't see it that way, Phat. :cool: He's been an OC before--albeit at a lower level--which means he isn't a "rookie."

Somewhat unproven as a coordinator? I'll grant you that. I do agree that this is a step up for him. I was greatly encouraged after seeing that video interview with him--guy seems like he is poised as hell. Hope he's up for the challenge!

The difference is Hackett was working under an offensive HC, while Mcdonald is not. It will be his show. Hope he's ready.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom