When was the last time | Syracusefan.com

When was the last time

anomander

Living Legend
Syracuse enters a season with some of the individual talent this roster possesses?

We have 3 guys that are potential all-americans. Tucker, Jones, Williams. All 3 will be drafted after this season. Tucker proved his all-American status last year. Williams proved it when he was healthy and excelled as he was picked on as a rsFr with a loaded secondary and Jones has accumulated accolades throughout an already stellar career where he has improved by leaps and bounds each season. Those 3 with Duce who i also view as an exceptional talent really give us a foundation of something to work with and be excited about. I just really hope an extremely thin DL and inconsistent QB play doesn’t spoil the season we could have and the accolades these talented kids should receive.

Add Bergeron, Wax and Thompson to the list of serious individual talent on this roster.

Shrader may be an inconsistent passer but his running will provide a counter and supplement to Tucker.

Can’t deny the DL issues. Have to hope our real good LBs can fill the gaps and provide pressures on blitzes. Will be a test for our DC to make his schemes with younger DL guys.

Syracuse enters a season with some of the individual talent this roster possesses?

We have 3 guys that are potential all-americans. Tucker, Jones, Williams. All 3 will be drafted after this season. Tucker proved his all-American status last year. Williams proved it when he was healthy and excelled as he was picked on as a rsFr with a loaded secondary and Jones has accumulated accolades throughout an already stellar career where he has improved by leaps and bounds each season. Those 3 with Duce who i also view as an exceptional talent really give us a foundation of something to work with and be excited about. I just really hope an extremely thin DL and inconsistent QB play doesn’t spoil the season we could have and the accolades these talented kids should receive.

Prob 1997 or 98 with McNabb, Konrad, Tebucky, Darius, Mare, et al. We were loaded obviously and i'm probably missing 2-3 more.

Agree with every thing you said. I will say one thing, our D-line definitely looks thin but when you think about it we usually go with 3 man fronts so we obviously aren’t going to carry as many d-lineman as a typical 4 line front would especially at D-tackle. To be fair I do think the numbers are still low. I think the biggest problem with them is not so much the numbers it’s more the experience. I think we have some very good young talent on the d-line but it’s inexperienced and unproven talent. I think there are young pieces there where if the get the experience and playing time they can definitely take the next step.

I think we know we have good players in:
Caleb O
Lockett
Darton

I think these players are young and inexperienced but can be very good for us:
Geer
Linton
Nolton
Fuentes

Wild cards:
Hough
Simmons
Jaquez

Expecting Jahad Carter to have a bounceback season and breakout a bit.

Agree with every thing you said. I will say one thing, our D-line definitely looks thin but when you think about it we usually go with 3 man fronts so we obviously aren’t going to carry as many d-lineman as a typical 4 line front would especially at D-tackle. To be fair I do think the numbers are still low. I think the biggest problem with them is not so much the numbers it’s more the experience. I think we have some very good young talent on the d-line but it’s inexperienced and unproven talent. I think there are young pieces there where if the get the experience and playing time they can definitely take the next step.

Caleb O
Lockett
Darton

Geer
Linton
Nolton
Fuentes

Wild cards:
Hough
Simmons
Jaquez
Bassette

Bassette
Oh yeah, forgot about him. Would put him in the wild card slot right now too. I actually think he’ll be pretty good for us too. We have a lot of young talent from the last two classes

Bassette
Lockett
Nolton
jaquez
Geer
Fuentes
Simmons

Just need a few of these guys to make some noise this year. My bets are Lockett, Geer and Nolton are in the rotation this year. Lockett and Geer are pretty much locks

It would not surprise me to see Bergeron move himself to be right there as a top 100 NFL pick. He's got great size, agility, and has improved every single year.

Williams just came in mocked as the #16 overall pick next year in PFFs first mock draft

Caleb O
Lockett
Darton

Geer
Linton
Nolton
Fuentes

Wild cards:
Hough
Simmons
Jaquez
We can list the names as you did, and it isn’t about numbers. It is about strength, experience and talent. Strength to stop the run, power and quickness to pressure the passer, talent that stacks up well (or not).

Make some comparisons — first, to what we had last season, or other seasons when the defense was average or better. Next, to what our ACC opponents will roll out. I think some of our units will compare fairly well. And then our DL unit likely is #14 in the ACC (at least going in) and significantly down from last season. So, we have to make it up with the offense and the strengths we have at LB and in the secondary. Overall, this team should be good because of these other strengths.

I was actually thinking this too. Tucker, Garrett Williams, the LBs, Chestnut, etc. We have some talent. I like how Shrader's older and more experienced. As always comes down to the O-Line and the gauntlet of our schedule though. But having some talent is nice.

I was going back to the NCST game last year because I was trying to see why blowouts were happening against a good team. All we need is some consistent offensive production and injury luck, regardless of the schedule. The defense can hold up if given some help from the other phases.

I was going back to the NCST game last year because I was trying to see why blowouts were happening against a good team. All we need is some consistent offensive production and injury luck, regardless of the schedule. The defense can hold up if given some help from the other phases.
This year you have at least 2 possibly 3 QB's who can run the offense.
As 2018 against Notre Dame showed we only had 1 QB who could run the offense.
And after that game the next 2 years everyone followed the script against Tommy. Put pressure on him and he was unable to make plays.

This year you have at least 2 possibly 3 QB's who can run the offense.
As 2018 against Notre Dame showed we only had 1 QB who could run the offense.
And after that game the next 2 years everyone followed the script against Tommy. Put pressure on him and he was unable to make plays.

Yup. IF the QB can't make you pay for blitzing, then you keep doing it.

Now, some of that also may have been awful playcalling, but TD needed to be getting the ball out quicker regardless, and he rarely did.

Also - the RPO is totally pointless, when you know the QB is pretty much never going to keep it.
Likewise with the motion and fake sweeps and end-arounds, where they never got the ball -
and D will pick up on that in very short order (spoiler - they ALL did) and just key on the QB.

I was actually thinking this too. Tucker, Garrett Williams, the LBs, Chestnut, etc. We have some talent. I like how Shrader's older and more experienced. As always comes down to the O-Line and the gauntlet of our schedule though. But having some talent is nice.
The OL pass blocking, DL, QB and WRs are the key. I think STs will actually be well above average this year. Running game should be outstanding.

The OL pass blocking, DL, QB and WRs are the key. I think STs will actually be well above average this year. Running game should be outstanding.
If our WRs are just average and catch the balls thrown to them.
With the way Tucker and Shrader can run the offense will take off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom