When we lose Hopkins - questions... | Syracusefan.com

When we lose Hopkins - questions...

swish7

All Conference
  • What coaches does he take with him? McNamara? Autry?
  • What recruits does he take with him?
  • Whom becomes the head assistant? Autry?
  • Whom does JB find to head up recruiting?
  • Whom does JB find to coach the big men? Either way, at least that will be an improvement.
  • Just how furiously will JB be interviewing candidates and networking at the coaches convention? Should be a mad scene.
It is a great opportunity for some young stud coach out there. It's a great opportunity for McNamara.

It is a great opportunity for SU. We get to change. Change is good. We also get to find out how good Hop is. We get JB for 3-5 more. He gets 1,000+. Who knows? Perhaps something happens with K and he ends up #1? Likely not, but who knows?

What recruits can he take with him?

Who's already signed an LOI and who hasn't?

Boston Accent? Yea, ok. You can probably guess by my handle which accent I prefer. Now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to Starbucks for some cawfee.

Why would any of our recruits want to go to bc?

They could opt to go elsewhere. Lydon or Malachi may choose to reopen their recruiting...

Let me clarify. By "taking recruits", I didn't mean pursuing kids whom had already signed with SU. I meant some 10th or 11th grader with whom he has built a relationship. Most certainly he would try to bring the best of those with him to BC.

I still don't see why our assistants would go with him. They would all move up a level in pay most likely and they all graduated from Syracuse. They were all brought in by JB, not Hop. I just don't get the sudden panic of why Autry or Gmac would leave to go to an inferior lower class school. I understand Hop leaving for a HC gig but don't get why the others would leave. I also highly doubt that Hop would steal JBs recruits or coaching staff. Not the type of person he is.

I still don't see why our assistants would go with him. They would all move up a level in pay most likely and they all graduated from Syracuse. They were all brought in by JB, not Hop. I just don't get the sudden panic of why Autry or Gmac would leave to go to an inferior lower class school. I understand Hop leaving for a HC gig but don't get why the others would leave. I also highly doubt that Hop would steal JBs recruits or coaching staff. Not the type of person he is.

If he were to become the coach of another school, they would be his recruits. And they would be JBs. They would be in competition.

Now, I'll buy that Hopkins would never negative recruit against Syracuse. However, he most certainly might fight JB tooth and nail for recruits.

Nobody is really answering any of the questions I laid out. I'm honestly interested what would happen with recruiting. Would JB hit the road more often to ensure the job is done right? Or would he trust his legacy with, say, a GMAC? Or, does he try to find another Troy Weaver?

Coaches would leave with Hop if it were a better opportunity for their personal growth.

I . I also highly doubt that Hop would steal JBs recruits or coaching staff. Not the type of person he is.

I agree they probably wouldn't want to leave. But I wouldn't fault Hop for trying to get them if he thought it to be best for his team. If he leaves, his obligation is to his new team, not Syracuse.

Let me clarify. By "taking recruits", I didn't mean pursuing kids whom had already signed with SU. I meant some 10th or 11th grader with whom he has built a relationship. Most certainly he would try to bring the best of those with him to BC.

If Hop has been selling kids on the advantages of playing for SU, he'd have to be one hell of a salesman to convince a kid that he's better off at Chestnut Hill.

2015 recruits - Lydon, Malachi, guys still on the board like Bryant and Dienge (sp), and '16 guys like Tyus Battle.

If he were to become the coach of another school, they would be his recruits. And they would be JBs. They would be in competition.

Now, I'll buy that Hopkins would never negative recruit against Syracuse. However, he most certainly might fight JB tooth and nail for recruits.

Nobody is really answering any of the questions I laid out. I'm honestly interested what would happen with recruiting. Would JB hit the road more often to ensure the job is done right? Or would he trust his legacy with, say, a GMAC? Or, does he try to find another Troy Weaver?

Coaches would leave with Hop if it were a better opportunity for their personal growth.

I think JB is "The Closer". Yes, he goes on the road in July to hit he big camps, but the assistants do the leg work. I don't see that changing much.

I agree that our recruiting is at risk of taking a big hit, because let's face it, it sucked before Hop went on the road. Autry seems pretty good, but Gerry hasn't closed a big recruit yet. We have to get a known recruiter with AAU ties in the northeast. Autry seems a little more mid-Atlantic.

We need a legitimate big man coach. Our big men have not improved these past few years. Anyone can see that. Would we be interested in Rosie Bouie? I think he would be a great asset, but don't know if (a) he's got the energy, and (b) if he could recruit.

I think JB likes the stories that GMac can tell, and he likes his impact on the culture. Gerry is one tough SOB and is competitive as hell. He never seemed like a great communicator, although his radio and TV spots are getting better. That said, there is no way in hell JB trusts his legacy to Gerry at this point in time.

You may be right about Hop not using negative recruiting on SU but I'd be surprised if JB didn't use it against Hop.

kuethstheman said:
You may be right about Hop not using negative recruiting on SU but I'd be surprised if JB didn't use it against Hop.

That's pretty strong. Any proof?

When has JB ever negatively recruited? I've never heard one story like that.

When has JB ever negatively recruited? I've never heard one story like that.
That's a good question. I've never heard it either but I'm not sure we hear a tenth of what goes on. JB is so competitive, it's hard for me to believe that he doesn't do it. Clearly, I could be wrong.

we would lose ZERO recruits. people arent coming here because of an assistant coach. They are coming here because we are SYRACUSE and we play in the biggest venue in America AND we seem to send guys to the pros at a much better clip nowadays.

Recruits go to a school based on many factors. Relationship with a recruiter and asst.coach is certainly one of them. But trying to convince a Syracuse recruit to attend BC instead would be a very difficult thing to do indeed. We recruit on different levels. If Hop does leave and takes the job and BC begins to bring in similar classes to SU, then we really would know Hop is a great recruiter.

I could see recruits that feel they might not get much time here at SU going with Hopkins kind of like Dash did with Eastern Michigan, but I can't see a big time recruit going to BC over Syracuse.