When we lose Hopkins - questions... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

When we lose Hopkins - questions...

• What coaches does he take with him? McNamara? Autry?
  • What recruits does he take with him?
  • Whom becomes the head assistant? Autry?
  • Whom does JB find to head up recruiting?
  • Whom does JB find to coach the big men? Either way, at least that will be an improvement.
  • Just how furiously will JB be interviewing candidates and networking at the coaches convention? Should be a mad scene.
It is a great opportunity for some young stud coach out there. It's a great opportunity for McNamara.

It is a great opportunity for SU. We get to change. Change is good. We also get to find out how good Hop is. We get JB for 3-5 more. He gets 1,000+. Who knows? Perhaps something happens with K and he ends up #1? Likely not, but who knows?
As long as they don't let Hop take the Dome I think we'll be OK. No recruits will switch to SU but some may look at BC that weren't considering SU due to playing time etc. i could see either GMac or Red goign with Hop but only if he discussed with JB and they'd be getting higher jobs at BC than JB was going to give them. Eg. if JB were to tell Hop and Redf that he was NOT going to make Red the 31 Asst then i could see Red going to BC (random speculation).
JB could put Gerry in charge of recruiting and bring in an old veteran assistant to work with the big guys like maybe Louis Orr. I doubt JB does anything furiously at the coaches convention. If he needs to hire an assistant it'll likely take 1 phone call (remember this is the same guy that got Rick Pitino to take an assistants job during his honeymoon)!

I could see recruits that feel they might not get much time here at SU going with Hopkins kind of like Dash did with Eastern Michigan, but I can't see a big time recruit going to BC over Syracuse.

No big recruit is going to chose Bc over Syracuse, Hop is big in recruiting, but at the end of the day they come to play For Jb and for Syracuse, not because Hop is a great recruiter.

Briancuse said:
at the end of the day they come to play For Jb and for Syracuse, not because Hop is a great recruiter.

The latter doesn't happen without the former.

No big recruit is going to chose Bc over Syracuse, Hop is big in recruiting, but at the end of the day they come to play For Jb and for Syracuse, not because Hop is a great recruiter.

Maybe, but they didn't come to play for JB and Syracuse when Louie Orr and Bernie Fine (cue the jokes) were doing the recruiting

If he were to become the coach of another school, they would be his recruits. And they would be JBs. They would be in competition.

Now, I'll buy that Hopkins would never negative recruit against Syracuse. However, he most certainly might fight JB tooth and nail for recruits.

Nobody is really answering any of the questions I laid out. I'm honestly interested what would happen with recruiting. Would JB hit the road more often to ensure the job is done right? Or would he trust his legacy with, say, a GMAC? Or, does he try to find another Troy Weaver?

Coaches would leave with Hop if it were a better opportunity for their personal growth.
Is this a serious question? He doesn't take anyone that jb doesn't allow him to take.

I don't get how everyone is righting it off as Hop can't win at BC? In cbb it only takes a few really talented players to kick start a program. Good coaches, especially those that can recruit have turned losing programs into winners time and time again.

If Hop has been selling kids on the advantages of playing for SU, he'd have to be one hell of a salesman to convince a kid that he's better off at Chestnut Hill.

Boston. It's not that hard.
Is this a serious question? He doesn't take anyone that jb doesn't allow him to take.

Dead serious. Are you telling me that some unsigned 10th grader is going to ask JB permission before signing with Hopkins?

Sure they will, and sure they will not.
Syracuse is a great institution. BC is a great institution. Hop is a great recruiter. JB was/is/will again have to be a great recruiter.
On the front lines, we need somebody to sell as well as JB could/can. That was Hopkins. That was Weaver. With neither, it's nobody but JB.

Righteous denial did not prevent Virginia from capturing the ACC, or UConn from getting to the Final 4. It won't stop Hop from winning a battle here and there.

I wonder what the crowd will be like for the BC game?

Boston. It's not that hard.

Dead serious. Are you telling me that some unsigned 10th grader is going to ask JB permission before signing with Hopkins?
I'm saying Hop will not take any kid that has verbaled to Syracuse. Not only am I saying that, Hop will resell the kid on Syracuse.

I don't get how everyone is righting it off as Hop can't win at BC? In cbb it only takes a few really talented players to kick start a program. Good coaches, especially those that can recruit have turned losing programs into winners time and time again.

Bc is at rock bottom, they won 6 games last year, and their two best players were seniors.

I'm saying Hop will not take any kid that has verbaled to Syracuse. Not only am I saying that, Hop will resell the kid on Syracuse.

You added an element to my argument.

I never had verballed as a criteria. Trying to avoid getting too meta. Since you insist. He's unsigned, and unverballed. He's qualified. He's of the human race. Etc, etc, and so forth.

If Hop developed a relationship with a kid on Syracuse's behalf, and that kid is unsigned, and Hop gets the BC job, and that kid would add value to BC and fit into Hop's system, he would be doing his new employer an injustice by not trying to bring the kid along.

That's a good question. I've never heard it either but I'm not sure we hear a tenth of what goes on. JB is so competitive, it's hard for me to believe that he doesn't do it. Clearly, I could be wrong.

That's a strangely negative take based on just a personal guess. Obviously doesn't sound like you have a very complimentary opinion of our coach.

tee_-_Copy_(3).jpg

That's a strangely negative take based on just a personal guess. Obviously doesn't sound like you have a very complimentary opinion of our coach.
I'm not talking about telling embarrassing secrets about Hop. It's great to be able to stick to talking about what's good about your school but I don't think it's so awful to mention the obvious about the inexperience of a new head coach or that the competing school has never been any good.

I admire JB despite his rough edges. I think recruiting is a dirty business and pretty much everyone involved does some negative recruiting. I'd wager JB doesn't engage in the worst of it.

You added an element to my argument.

I never had verballed as a criteria. Trying to avoid getting too meta. Since you insist. He's unsigned, and unverballed. He's qualified. He's of the human race. Etc, etc, and so forth.

If Hop developed a relationship with a kid on Syracuse's behalf, and that kid is unsigned, and Hop gets the BC job, and that kid would add value to BC and fit into Hop's system, he would be doing his new employer an injustice by not trying to bring the kid along.
If the kid has verballed, Hop will not take him.

If the kid has verballed, Hop will not take him.

Not sure why you repeated that, but I agree with that specific case. Can we move on now?

As long as they don't let Hop take the Dome I think we'll be OK. No recruits will switch to SU but some may look at BC that weren't considering SU due to playing time etc. i could see either GMac or Red goign with Hop but only if he discussed with JB and they'd be getting higher jobs at BC than JB was going to give them. Eg. if JB were to tell Hop and Redf that he was NOT going to make Red the 31 Asst then i could see Red going to BC (random speculation).
JB could put Gerry in charge of recruiting and bring in an old veteran assistant to work with the big guys like maybe Louis Orr. I doubt JB does anything furiously at the coaches convention. If he needs to hire an assistant it'll likely take 1 phone call (remember this is the same guy that got Rick Pitino to take an assistants job during his honeymoon)!

Really. Put Gerry in charge of recruiting??? He is not even a recruiter on Syracuse, and only recruits when Hop and JB are working the Olympics. Hopkins and Autry are the major recruiters for Syracuse. JB is not putting McNamara in charge of recruiting anytime in the near future. In fact, the major question (if Hop leaves) is whether JB elevates McNamara to a recruiting coach or goes outside to get another major recruiting coach alongside Autry. If McNamara is not ready to be a recruiting coach, do not be surprised if he gets overlooked. Not sure that Hop would take him...he may want someone with more experience. Unlikely that Orr coming back...he did not do a good job the first time he was here.

How would you prove something that hasn't come close to happening yet?

Proof that JB has ever recruited dirty? And would do so vs one of his best friends? Seemed rich to me.

Cheriehoop said:
JB was definitely recruiting dirty in Blue Chips. I have no doubt. He wanted butch McRae bad.

Proof that JB has ever recruited dirty? And would do so vs one of his best friends? Seemed rich to me.
I wasn't talking about recruiting dirty.

Now that you mention it, do you have any proof that anyone has ever recruited dirty (without getting sanctions)?