When will Boeheim call it quits? | Syracusefan.com

When will Boeheim call it quits?

Quazzum69

Stable Genius
He's approaching 70 but is getting really close to some historic milestones and doesn't seem to be getting tired. I think he's holding out for at least another championship or 1000 wins, whichever comes first. He's had two #1 seeds in the past three years that could of/should of won it all both times. Recruiting is consistently excellent and it seems like he's just knocking at the door to get a couple more final fours right at the end of his career. He's too stubborn and competitive to go down as a one-win coach. Any thoughts?

I was about to say "Not THAT question again," but then I realized it was your first post. JB's closest friends and associates do not know what his plans (if any) are. When asked the question, he sort of just smiles.

Honestly, nothing would surprise me with JB, who I expect to go out on his own terms without any pre-fanfare.

I wouldn't be surprised [disappointed, but not surprised] if he hung 'em up after this season to coincide with the team's departure from the Big East.

On the other hand, if we have another good year, he's going to finish the season with around 920+ wins. 1000 is squarely within reach, he might be excited about the challenge of playing in the ACC. Recruiting is going like gangbusters. And despite being just about 70, he has teenaged children, so he might want to keep working for a few more years.

If I had to guess, I think it is closer to the second scenario outlined above, but you never know with JB.

Honestly, nothing would surprise me with JB, who I expect to go out on his own terms without any pre-fanfare.

This. JB is a classic upstate do-it-yourself-er, blue collar product of depression-era parents. He'll work because, dammit, that's what you're supposed to do. As long as he can submit work that meets his own high standards, he'll keep working. I've wondered if his own kids' schedules would cause him to retire so he can see their games, etc. I really don't know what his kids are involved in, and it's certainly not my business, but since most guys his age are making up for lost time from their own kids by being awesomely involved grandparents, maybe he wants to relish the fast-flying years of his own kids' adolescence.

OTOH, he's got the crew in place he's chosen and trained. If he wants to miss practice, or less likely a game, to go watch one of his kids in a game or play, or concert of their own, he has that ability and has certainly earned that right. Not sure I can see him doing that much, though.

I'm just trying to enjoy and appreciate this remarkable era in SU history while I can.

Part of what makes following this team fun of late is the enigma of Mr. James A. Boeheim.

My daughter asked me at the game last night, "Mom, how does Boeheim DO this?" I said, "He has a fire in his belly that would have most of us reaching for the Maalox and tranquilizers." If I were Boeheim, I would have a nervous breakdown every other day! I agree with other posters. He wants another National Championship. If we had gotten one in '10 or '12, I'm thinking he may have retired at the end of the Big East. I read that he and Coach K have never schedule to play each other because they are such good friends. So, that's another reason why I thought he might hang it up this year. But now I believe he has become intrigued by the match ups in the ACC. I am thinking he might coach next year no matter what.

When he finally retires, a wail will rise up from the depths of Central New York so piercing that passing space ships will be able to pick it up. Then they'll come down to see what the heck is going on and then, of course, they will eat us. Just one more reason for us to hope that the Master won't retire any time soon!

Plain and simplle: he will retire when it isn't fun anymore. Why retire from something you enjoy? That is my plan also.

He's approaching 70 but is getting really close to some historic milestones and doesn't seem to be getting tired. I think he's holding out for at least another championship or 1000 wins, whichever comes first. He's had two #1 seeds in the past three years that could of/should of won it all both times. Recruiting is consistently excellent and it seems like he's just knocking at the door to get a couple more final fours right at the end of his career. He's too stubborn and competitive to go down as a one-win coach. Any thoughts?
Nice profile pic.

Many people missed it, but about a month ago, Boeheim gave a strange interview in which he stated, among other things, that right now he's only able to give 80% of what he was at his peak. I don't know why he said that - unless he was making some kind of point about how SU Hoops is already run by committee; in a sliding manner that puts the keys increasingly into the hands of Hopkins and the others. If that's the case, then I'd welcome him to stay on 'til 90 as a figurehead of some sort. At some point, idolatry needs to give way to reality, though.

The Bernie Fine thing was a bit of a warning to us that something so big can happen - and the head coach reacts by saying he knew absolutely nothing about it, his long-time best friend (I'm not referring to P e d o p h I l I a- I still haven't seen any evidence of that; just goings-on in the Fine household in general). If he knew something, he's in trouble. If he didn't; same thing (his controversial reaction to the charges). We need to know that the head coach is pretty much on top of things, no?

On the other hand, the program persevered remarkably through all that (whatever "all that" actually was/is, heh). And despite his 80% and dropping comment (his, not mine, remember), he does look to me like he could go on at full strength for a few more years. I don't agree, however, that 1,000 wins is somehow easily reached once 920 has been reached. A hell of a lot can happen in the years it would take to get those extra 80.

1,000 seems awesome - but should that be anybody's primary goal? I'd take another championship over 2,000, frankly. Coach K is probably going to end up #1, and even he might not get to 1,000.

When he's ready

I think that's the answer.

While I'm sure he would like to win another title, I've never had the impression that the man is driven by milestone numbers. I also believe he will go out with as little fanfare as possible.

Welcome to the board Quazzum69!

JB's retirement is like the end times, "Of that hour no man knows". Jim Boeheim, like few other coaches, has coached his entire career at one school and perhaps no other coach in the Nation is so emblematic of his school as he is. Never one to parse words and viewed by some as a curmudgeon, it's never difficult to decipher what Jim Boeheim's opinion is.

What is missed by many in his depiction by the media is his incredible heart and generosity and how he is loved by many former players who attribute his mentoring as their means of becoming a man. He will be sorely missed when he does decide to step aside and I know that it won't be until after he does so that he will truly be recognized for all his accomplishments.

Regardless of how many National Championships or Final 4's he notches he is certainly one of the greatest college basketball coaches of all time and I feel fortunate to have had him at the helm of the team that I have followed more closely and more passionately than any other team in my lifetime. Coach has always had the ability to get his team to focus on just the next game, the next challenge and that's the way I try to enjoy the team and his tenure as head coach of the Orange.

I think that's the answer.

While I'm sure he would like to win another title, I've never had the impression that the man is driven by milestone numbers. I also believe he will go out with as little fanfare as possible.
He still has the fire in him on the sidelines, the talent on the court and coming in, young kids at home, that all works in our favor of him staying a few years longer , say 3-5. I just dont see him retiring and staying home doing nothing.

Make no bones about it, this man wants to win another national championship. I expect him to coach a lot longer than most people are saying. I honestly think he will go at least 3 more seasons. Wouldnt shock me in the least.

Make no bones about it, this man wants to win another national championship. I expect him to coach a lot longer than most people are saying. I honestly think he will go at least 3 more seasons. Wouldnt shock me in the least.

Me neither.

As long as someone truly loves what they are doing, why retire? I assume until he wakes up one day, and the feelings he has for coaching the game have changed, or he just wants his life to go in another direction, maybe the golf course, he will stay on as the Syracuse coach. Age is looked at too much when talking about retirement. And while coaching certainly is stressful, and the travel hard on the body and the family, doing what you love also keeps one young and satisfied in life.

Amazingly, across all the different posts and different perspectives on what Boeheim may or may not do, there isn't one thing I disagree with in this entire thread.

He'll be at Syracuse until he helps create a basketball-oriented super-conference called the New Big East. It will consist of the rejects of the four football super-conferences including: Georgetown, St. Johns, Villanova, Connecticut, etc. Only then will Jim Boeheim be able to rest...

pigs_fly.jpg

Talent is aphrodisiac to a coach. Our newly consistent high caliber recruiting will provide the excitement and enthusiasm that comes with being ever so close to another NC, which should keep him coming back until he wins another one or two.

IMO, this season or next will be his last. Time to watch the kids play.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2