Where are they now? | Syracusefan.com

Where are they now?

Van111

Starter
For those who may have interest...or not! Big Names who blew us off...

While we wait for what looks like is going to be an exciting year both on the recruiting front and on the field as we enter into the ACC, I look back from time to time to see where players that looked like sure recruits to dawn the Orange, chose other places to play, and here is a peak at where they are now.

Ishaq Williams DE: Kid has a ton of talent. Saw alot of fill in and specialty roles like 3rd down passing situations last year. His first two years tally in 24 games he played in (zero starts) is 28TT (15UA, 13AT) with just 2 for loss, ZERO, yes notta, SACKS, 1 FF (Navy Blow out), and 1 PD. In the post spring depth chart, this being his junior year at ND, he is listed as 2nd string in the CAT LB position and Kelly was quoted saying we'll find some special situations for him to play in. Sounds alot like last year to me. We will see him next year, which could remarkably be his first career start at ND in his Sr year (pending a change this year of course) when we meet ND in the Meadowlands. Where would he be in Orange right now, we'll never know, but fun to speculate. Right now he is nothing but a potential talent that has yet to be realized.

Zach Allen QB: Made a last second decision and finds himself even further buried in the depth chart than he ever realized at 4th (last of all the TCU QBs) after spring ball. He might be lucky to ever start at TCU at all as he is up against a stand out SR who made a surprise turn around, a Sophmore who started most of the season last year, a RSFr that is one year ahead of him and with 2 new QBs in this years recruiting class already. Maybe he does ok, but where would he be at SU? Well we might have seen him and known already, but again, one can only speculate! And to think just a few short months ago we all had visions of him being a potential 4 yr starter.

Kevin McReynolds DT: Really, a total bust so far at UCLA. So much so he is now being moved to an O-Lineman. DNP his first season, sparingly on Special Teams and moved to reserve OL. Maybe not alot to even speculate on this one.

Jaron Jones DE: Much like Ishaq, he contimplated quiting the team his freshmen year, and like Ishaq again has renewed his devotion to the game. Post spring depth chart has him as a potential back up and role player this year. We'll have to wait a little bit longer and update this mid-season, and include those other 2 guys AE & EO as well...maybe just before Clemson comes to the Dome. Will be interesting to see if EO makes the trip!

Kevin McReynolds- Some one I knew from SU graduated a year ahead of McReynolds in DC. He told me he wasn't that good of a player, just had mind boggling workouts.

Seems as if these guys would be farther up the depth chart if they came here (maybe not McReynolds) given our depth at their positions at the time they were recruited by us. That seems to have changed however, particularly with Allen who was replaced by a one year Allen in the short term and several other exciting options for the future. Still would have liked Ishaq and Jones. Jones would probably have ended up at Rutgers (Gause connection) and Ishaq at PU though if they didn't choose ND. AE and EO are not going to be missed, imo.

If you think these big names "blew us off", I am scared to think what you think all these early offers out now are going to do to us...

Guys like Sharrif Floyd blew us off.

AE wont amount to much at Miami. AO will eventually be a good player for Clemson.

For those who may have interest...or not! Big Names who blew us off...

While we wait for what looks like is going to be an exciting year both on the recruiting front and on the field as we enter into the ACC, I look back from time to time to see where players that looked like sure recruits to dawn the Orange, chose other places to play, and here is a peak at where they are now.

Ishaq Williams DE: Kid has a ton of talent. Saw alot of fill in and specialty roles like 3rd down passing situations last year. His first two years tally in 24 games he played in (zero starts) is 28TT (15UA, 13AT) with just 2 for loss, ZERO, yes notta, SACKS, 1 FF (Navy Blow out), and 1 PD. In the post spring depth chart, this being his junior year at ND, he is listed as 2nd string in the CAT LB position and Kelly was quoted saying we'll find some special situations for him to play in. Sounds alot like last year to me. We will see him next year, which could remarkably be his first career start at ND in his Sr year (pending a change this year of course) when we meet ND in the Meadowlands. Where would he be in Orange right now, we'll never know, but fun to speculate. Right now he is nothing but a potential talent that has yet to be realized.

Zach Allen QB: Made a last second decision and finds himself even further buried in the depth chart than he ever realized at 4th (last of all the TCU QBs) after spring ball. He might be lucky to ever start at TCU at all as he is up against a stand out SR who made a surprise turn around, a Sophmore who started most of the season last year, a RSFr that is one year ahead of him and with 2 new QBs in this years recruiting class already. Maybe he does ok, but where would he be at SU? Well we might have seen him and known already, but again, one can only speculate! And to think just a few short months ago we all had visions of him being a potential 4 yr starter.

Kevin McReynolds DT: Really, a total bust so far at UCLA. So much so he is now being moved to an O-Lineman. DNP his first season, sparingly on Special Teams and moved to reserve OL. Maybe not alot to even speculate on this one.

Jaron Jones DE: Much like Ishaq, he contimplated quiting the team his freshmen year, and like Ishaq again has renewed his devotion to the game. Post spring depth chart has him as a potential back up and role player this year. We'll have to wait a little bit longer and update this mid-season, and include those other 2 guys AE & EO as well...maybe just before Clemson comes to the Dome. Will be interesting to see if EO makes the trip!
Send this email to the staff to mention when they talk to Holley

The one player we are going to end up missing the most, who we came the closest to signing on the dotted line is Tashon Whitehurst. That was the toughest loss to swallow of all, and won't really be felt until next season.

I was listening to Bill King yesterday and they had a guy on from a ND site. He said that Ishaq lead the Spring Game in tackles and is being projected by some to be the breakout performer on Defense for ND this year.

The one player we are going to end up missing the most, who we came the closest to signing on the dotted line is Tashon Whitehurst. That was the toughest loss to swallow of all, and won't really be felt until next season.
I didn't know we were in the running for him? Must have missed it.

I was listening to Bill King yesterday and they had a guy on from a ND site. He said that Ishaq lead the Spring Game in tackles and is being projected by some to be the breakout performer on Defense for ND this year.
He has the talent to do it, I think the bigger question does he capitilize on his opportunity to do so, if given one. Still can't believe that through 24 games he has ZERO sacks, unbelievable.

This was a 2 star kid that wanted to stay closer to home, wasn't it? I think I remember now, looking back.

I didn't know we were in the running for him? Must have missed it.

he was committed for a while. he flipped close to signing day

depends where you look he was 3 star some places. He won some major defensive awards in Fla his SR year I believe. Played down the stretch as true FR last year at USF

he was committed for a while. he flipped close to signing day

depends where you look he was 3 star some places. He won some major defensive awards in Fla his SR year I believe. Played down the stretch as true FR last year at USF
I struggle to hate on kids who want to stay closer to home. Makes complete sense to me. I wish him nothing but the best.

If you think these big names "blew us off", I am scared to think what you think all these early offers out now are going to do to us...

Guys like Sharrif Floyd blew us off.

huh? we were in the game with all the players listed above.

early offers dont mean much.

not sure what your point is.

huh? we were in the game with all the players listed above.

early offers dont mean much.

not sure what your point is.

My point is if these players that visited Syracuse, had them in their Top 3, "blew" Syracuse off, there are going to be a number of players this year that do worse then that.

When I saw this post, I was expecting players like Sharrif Floyd to be on here. Guys that never visited and never gave Syracuse a chance.

When I saw this post, I was expecting players like Sharrif Floyd to be on here. Guys that never visited and never gave Syracuse a chance.

gotcha, I think the OP was referencing people who almost came here.

gotcha, I think the OP was referencing people who almost came here.
God, I wouldn't want to start that list! I'm sure I am missing some of the "almost came here's" as I was manly speaking about the ones that gardered alot of attention during their recruitment in the last few years and looked like, not locks, but way better than hopefuls. Would it be fair to say that at least a couple of these guys sure look like they would be futher along here than where they are, IMO.

so do I. I understand the process just responding to the OP
Couldn't agree more, and hence why I never thought of him that way as he just wanted to play close to home. It is about time some of our in state talent starts thinking the same way! Holley for one, and Lock the other.

Couldn't agree more, and hence why I never thought of him that way as he just wanted to play close to home. It is about time some of our in state talent starts thinking the same way! Holley for one, and Lock the other.
i'd be thrilled with Holley and Samuel. Lock isn't really needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom