where does Estime's punt return rank? | Syracusefan.com

where does Estime's punt return rank?

Millhouse

Living Legend
Jamel Riddle 2001 was only the first quarter but it was huge getting us on the board in Blacksburg.

Given the stakes, is Estime's the best punt return of all time for SU?

i don't have the memory for this stuff the way the rest of you do

It was a huge play--a game changing, bowl victory saving play. So it has to rank up there.

Obviously, Riddle's punt return was huge that year, on the road.

I remember Harrison and Spotwood returning punts for TDs, but I don't recall specific game situations or whether [or not] they were game changing plays.

So all in all, Estime's play has to be right up there, if not atop the list, of important punt returns in modern program history.

its got to be the top punt return.

kickoffs we got DarDar v Florida and the Fiesta v Colorado...and Kevin Johnson opening up the Wisconsin/Giants Stadium game.....as being the tops that i recall in that catagory.

It was at least the 3rd loudest I've ever screamed in the bar. "RUN, RUN, GO, GO, AHHHH"

One of the top punt returns I can remember...we were in a bad spot with no time outs and catching the ball back around the 10 yard line.

I'd say Brisley has been pencilled in as PR next year. Finally we are starting to get gamechangers in the skill positions. I'm pretty high on this team for next year...borderline Top 25 IMHO.

kickoffs we got DarDar v Florida and the Fiesta v Colorado...and Kevin Johnson opening up the Wisconsin/Giants Stadium game.....as being the tops that i recall in that catagory.
You stole the words right out of my keyboard- DarDar's run back was awesome!

Spotwood had a PR TD and another long one possibly a kickoff IIRC vs. NC State '97 that we'd remember fondly if the outcome was different.

Last edited:
as far as kickoff returns we only tend to remember the ones that score.

Joe Morris
Dar Dar
Kevin Johnson
Max Suter

as for punt returns

spotwood had a huge one in 97 the nc state game we ended up losing
riddle o1 in the VT upset
floyd little in 64 to beat PSU and one in 65 to help beat BC

spotwood had a huge one in 97 the nc state game we ended up losing

I believe Spotwood also took one to the house in our following game that year at Oklahoma. Back-to-back devastating losses.

I believe Spotwood also took one to the house in our following game that year at Oklahoma. Back-to-back devastating losses.
yes he did, put us ahead 7-0

Considering the timing, time running out, bowl game against a Big 10 team needing a touchdown to win, has to be number 1.

Kevin Johnson also had a KO return against BC in 98 that was huge. BC had turned the momentum with a TD, got their crowd into it. Then KJ shut them up, and BC never recovered.

I was at both of those games. My seat was behind the end zone that Dar Dar ran out of...fortunately, it was also right behind the Florida cheerleaders. Great view for several reasons.

I have a Meetup group I run in Richmond, but with the holidays nobody could show up. So...I watched the game with an older friend who likes sports but has no appreciation for my passion of Orangemen football. I said to him prior to Estime's return that the only way we might win is wih a big return, which of course happened. I'm jumping up and down and screaming like a little girl, then realized he's looking at me as if I'm cuckoo. Don't really have a point here, just sharing my experience with you. Am I alone?

I don't remember the situation or whether it was a game changing play, but didn't Harrison once return a punt something like 90+ yards for a touchdown?

I don't remember the situation or whether it was a game changing play, but didn't Harrison once return a punt something like 90+ yards for a touchdown?
most of Marvin's TDs seemed like punt returns.

good lord were there some long arse ones.

but yeah, v off all teams...minnesota, he took 1 to the house.

and chip, i think Marvin had one v BC as well.

It didn't end up being important due to us tanking the season but at the time the Dorian Graham KO return vs WVU was huge.

punt returns aren't kickoff returns. of course i remember dar dar and KJ. you boobs
for our next trick, why dont you ask everyone for their top interception return...and we will give you our top fumble one...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom