Where Does Jonny Flynn fit in with all-time Cuse Greats? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Where Does Jonny Flynn fit in with all-time Cuse Greats?

Had he stayed one or two more, he would be in the discussion with guys like Wallace and Warrick for sure, maybe even Coleman and Owens. I believe the 2010 team is even better with him and having him against Butler has to be enough to get us past them without AO, raising his profile.

Yeah, no.

The chemistry on the ‘10 team was perfect.

Jonny, for all his abilities, would have been a very talented square peg in a round hole on that team.

Same with Devo & Harris.

How much higher was Flynn’s profile gonna get raised??
Dude was drafted SIXTH.
For a sub-6’ PG.

I remember being pumped about the prospective 09-10 team when the prior season ended. I believed Jonny was to be the best point guard in the country, and we knew we had something special in Wes Johnson joining. Was surprised he left after his So. Year. Then the 09-10 squad became one of our best ever!

I contend that Jonny might have been the best PG in the country even as a sophomore, if you consider the sum of all his qualities. Talent, production, heart, swagger, toughness. I love Jonny Flynn

Yeah, no.

The chemistry on the ‘10 team was perfect.

Jonny, for all his abilities, would have been a very talented square peg in a round hole on that team.

Same with Devo & Harris.

How much higher was Flynn’s profile gonna get raised??
Dude was drafted SIXTH.
For a sub-6’ PG.
I know that chemistry was perfect. I still think the team is better with him. He brings the ability to create his own shot. Something nobody else on that team did on a high level.

His draft stock has little to do with this conversation. Why do so many people try to turn every conversation about a player into NBA prospects or draft position? His profile with regards to his legacy at Syracuse is raised with his contribution to a team that spends much of the year in the top 5, is a number 1 seed in the tournament, and makes a deep run.

It’s actually amazing we lost flynn, Harris, and Devo and then had one of our best teams of ALL TIME. What the hell? Crazy honestly.

Harris gets tons of crap here, mostly for some of the complete head scratching plays that he was part of and the crazy hype but overall he was very productive. It gets forgotten I think.

4th best. Bing was the best, Pearl, Sherm, JF.

It’s actually amazing we lost flynn, Harris, and Devo and then had one of our best teams of ALL TIME. What the hell? Crazy honestly.

Harris gets tons of crap here, mostly for some of the complete head scratching plays that he was part of and the crazy hype but overall he was very productive. It gets forgotten I think.

Agreed; my only "2009 players against Butler" what-if scenario involves Harris - he's the player who would've matched up well against Butler in 2010 with AO out. Not Devendorf. Not Flynn, who often struggled against physical teams and got caught up in trying to go one-on-one too much. But Harris could've filled in for Joseph, who was ineffective, both by pulling another defender toward the perimeter to help free up driving lanes and by presenting another low-post scoring threat (which Wes Johnson most certainly was not that night).

Not that they'd have become a 30-4 team with Harris or anyone else on it, though. Boeheim got the group to thrive because those three characters moved on, not in spite of that loss of talent.

I was watching a Michael Edwards/young Auntry -era game that someone posted the other day and one of my first thoughts was "wow, I don't give Jonny Flynn enough credit."

Flynn was very, very effective offensively (and capable enough on defense if he wanted) in spite of being no more than 6 feet tall. His numbers were terrific (though a lot of people would've thrived under the '08 and '09 systems and tempos).

It's difficult for me to assess him objectively, given his incomplete career and average won-lost record and his shaky rep among some coaches. He did a lot of things so well, though, had a ton of talent, and that talent was effective despite his small size.
Shaky rep among some coaches? Do tell. I’ve never heard anyone say a bad word about the kid

Shaky rep among some coaches? Do tell. I’ve never heard anyone say a bad word about the kid

I’ve heard stories that sometimes when JB would call for zone D, that Jonny would basically say Elf that, and play man instead.
Or not really play D at all, if he wasn’t in the mood.

Devo may be in the conversation with the current guards as our worst defender ever.
And watching him now in TBT, it’s not for a lack of effort (or want-to), he’s just not good at it.

Jonny was replaced by Scoop & Triche (both horribly under appreciated by the majority of our fan base), Devo by Rautins, and Harris by Wes.

Given the balance, chemistry, and Shut It Down D that the ‘10 team played, none of those 3 guys was a fit.

Do KrisJo and/or Scoop win all those Sixth Man Of The Year awards if any of those 3 guys is still on the team?
Getting them to buy into those roles was absolutely crucial to that teams success.

Does anyone know what happened to Jonny? I know the injury history and how his professional career ended up panning out, but what is he doing now? He is not on social media, however, his long time friend Paul Harris is, who refers to him as "J-Dugga" but never really sheds a light on what Jonny is up to. Would love to see him back in the Dome for some games. I loved the way he played the game. Explosive, smart, and played his heart out.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what happened to Jonny? I know the injury history and how his professional career ended up panning out, but what is he doing now? He is not on social media, however, his long time friend Paul Harris is, who refers to him as "J-Dugga" but never really sheds a light on what Jonny is up to. Would love to see him back in the Dome for some guys. I loved the way he played the game. Explosive, smart, and played his heart out.

We need to find Jonny. But I fear he does not want to be found. Get him on staff, he would be a stellar recruiter.

The injury that took him out of the league is really a terrible thing that robbed him of what I presume was his life's dream. It is not often discussed, but Jonny had an extremely promising rookie season in Minnesota that spelled great things for his career.

Yeah, what 721 said. Though SU's coaches were characteristically classy about it and didn't badmouth him publicly. People in Minnesota weren't as kind, they let it be known that he was uncoachable.

Flynn is behind Sherm, Pearl, GMac, and Autry for me AFA point guards. He wasnt here long enough to vault those guys for me.

Had he stayed one or two more, he would be in the discussion with guys like Wallace and Warrick for sure, maybe even Coleman and Owens. I believe the 2010 team is even better with him and having him against Butler has to be enough to get us past them without AO, raising his profile.
I think a guy like Flynn ( not him per say), wrecks the chemistry of that special group.

If you count only 1 season, then Billy Edelin and Michael Lloyd also deserve mention.

Scoop Triche was our winningest PG in history.
The 87 team doesn't go to the FF with Lloyd. The best thing to happen to that team was him leaving. It was addition by subtraction.
Including Z does not mean to exclude anyone else. Scoop is one of my all time favorites.

I think a guy like Flynn ( not him per say), wrecks the chemistry of that special group.
It's possible. I would have liked to see what could've been. When was the last time we had two guys with lottery pick talent in the starting line up?

Here’s my list (in order) of best guard play during my fandom (since ‘95)...

Senior Scoop, Frosh Gerry, Senior Andy, Sophomore Dion, Sophomore MCW, Frosh Billy, Sophomore Flynn, Senior Moten, Senior Triche, Senior Hart, Senior Sims, Senior Griff

Here’s my list (in order) of best guard play during my fandom (since ‘95)...

Senior Scoop, Frosh Gerry, Senior Andy, Sophomore Dion, Sophomore MCW, Frosh Billy, Sophomore Flynn, Senior Moten, Senior Triche, Senior Hart, Senior Sims, Senior Griff

Don't get me wrong I like Scoop a lot, but first overall on this list?

no way GMAC is 3rd. He was good, but not third on the list good.

I guess it depends on how you define great. Are we talking the totality of their college accomplishments, or how talented they are as a player? GMac is Top 5 all-time in points, assists, steals, three-pointers, free throw percentage, etc., has more iconic moments than any player in SU history, and stepped up big-time on the biggest stage ever. But obviously he's not nearly as talented of a player as Dion or MCW or others that have played in the NBA.

Don't get me wrong I like Scoop a lot, but first overall on this list?
Who, on that list, had a better overall command of the offense than senior Scoop?... as a scorer, playmaker for others, defender... Again, this is just senior Scoop.

Who would you put ahead?

I realize I am a bit of an outlier with my strong opinion on Scoop’s play. I was when he played as well. He was vastly underrated by this board. I’d kill to have a guy like him again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom