Where Does Jonny Flynn fit in with all-time Cuse Greats? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Where Does Jonny Flynn fit in with all-time Cuse Greats?

Who, on that list, had a better overall command of the offense than senior Scoop?... as a scorer, playmaker for others, defender... Again, this is just senior Scoop.

Who would you put ahead?

I realize I am a bit of an outlier with my strong opinion on Scoop’s play. I was when he played as well. He was vastly underrated by this board. I’d kill to have a guy like him again.

Scoop did a very good job that year as the starting point guard of the most dominant SU team ever, but I just don't think his 8.9 ppg and 4.9 apg in 25 minutes per game was the best guard play for SU in the past 25 years.

I would definitely put '95 Moten, '09 Flynn, '13 MCW and probably '10 Rautins and '12 Dion ahead of him. '00 Hart and '01 Griffin were comparable.

Scoop did a very good job that year as the starting point guard of the most dominant SU team ever, but I just don't think his 8.9 ppg and 4.9 apg in 25 minutes per game was the best guard play for SU in the past 25 years.

I would definitely put '95 Moten, '09 Flynn, '13 MCW and probably '10 Rautins and '12 Dion ahead of him. '00 Hart and '01 Griffin were comparable.
Different strokes for different folks I guess, but Flynn (lack of height in zone and lack of interest in playing defense) and MCW (shooting) had serious holes in their games. I would never put them ahead of Scoop.

Moten, Dion, and Andy maybe... but still...

Scoop orchestrated the #2 and #3 best overall SU teams of my lifetime (when the Big East was at its peak.) I like winning a lot.

It's possible. I would have liked to see what could've been. When was the last time we had two guys with lottery pick talent in the starting line up?

2008, arguably. That's part of the reason I don't automatically consider Flynn an all-time great.

I went to a home Timberwolves game Jonny's rookie year where in a ticket promotion you could meet him after the game for a short meet and greet/autograph session. After a tough game where the Twolves lost again and Jonny played very poorly, Jonny appeared 45 minutes after the game ended to meet about 20 fans behind one of the baskets. Everyone sensed Jonny's bad mood (a Twolves employee even warned us before Jonny came out that he was in a bad mood). No one said anything besides thank you to Jonny after getting his autograph. Jonny barely looked up after he signed his name each time.

I brought an authentic, orange Syracuse #10 jersey for Jonny to sign. When it was my turn with Jonny, I told him to keep his head up and that things would get better for him. I thanked him for playing for my favorite team Syracuse and how much I enjoyed watching him play those two years. Jonny said he really appreciated it. I got my jersey signed and even got Jonny to smile with me for a quick picture. Not the greatest experience meeting one of my favorite former Syracuse players but Jonny definitely treated me better than any of the other fans due to my Syracuse connection and I'd likely be in no mood for a meet and greet after a bad game either.

Unfortunately here in Minnesota Flynn is commonly brought up as a giant disappointment (his injury is always overlooked) and as the subject of jokes because the Timberwolves drafted him with the pick right after selecting another PG (Rubio) when they could have picked Stephen Curry instead.

I really hope Jonny is doing well. I'd love to see him connected with Syracuse basketball in some way again.

Who was the other, Greene?

Yeah, too many years have passed so I don't remember trivia like what happened in his workouts, but I remember that Donte was considered a decent prospect despite an uneven season and it was surprising that he ended up picked in the 20s.

I went to a home Timberwolves game Jonny's rookie year where in a ticket promotion you could meet him after the game for a short meet and greet/autograph session. After a tough game where the Twolves lost again and Jonny played very poorly, Jonny appeared 45 minutes after the game ended to meet about 20 fans behind one of the baskets. Everyone sensed Jonny's bad mood (a Twolves employee even warned us before Jonny came out that he was in a bad mood). No one said anything besides thank you to Jonny after getting his autograph. Jonny barely looked up after he signed his name each time.

I brought an authentic, orange Syracuse #10 jersey for Jonny to sign. When it was my turn with Jonny, I told him to keep his head up and that things would get better for him. I thanked him for playing for my favorite team Syracuse and how much I enjoyed watching him play those two years. Jonny said he really appreciated it. I got my jersey signed and even got Jonny to smile with me for a quick picture. Not the greatest experience meeting one of my favorite former Syracuse players but Jonny definitely treated me better than any of the other fans due to my Syracuse connection and I'd likely be in no mood for a meet and greet after a bad game either.

Unfortunately here in Minnesota Flynn is commonly brought up as a giant disappointment (his injury is always overlooked) and as the subject of jokes because the Timberwolves drafted him with the pick right after selecting another PG (Rubio) when they could have picked Stephen Curry instead.

I really hope Jonny is doing well. I'd love to see him connected with Syracuse basketball in some way again.

Nice post.

Everyone thinks about how basketball players affect our lives (weird when you spell it out like that), but nobody talks about how their team/individual performance affects their moods. Cool that you could share the experience with him and give him a momentary pick-me-up.

Like for the Billy reference.

In 17 games as a sophomore, in 33 per game:

14/5/4 on 53% shooting (from both the field and the line...yikes) and a 2.6:1 assist:turnover ratio.

And that's just on paper. To see him do it on the court...yeah, he was really good.

And there's a reason this was far and away McNamara's best statistical season.

Who, on that list, had a better overall command of the offense than senior Scoop?... as a scorer, playmaker for others, defender... Again, this is just senior Scoop.

Who would you put ahead?

While I agree that scoop is underrated overall by the Fanbase I would say Dion on the same team the same year was better than Scoop. There was a stretch where Scoop was our best guard for about 4 to 5 games when we were in conference play. Triche also had his moments but overall Dion was our best guard IMO.

MCW couldn’t get minutes. On that team and Cooney was redshirting,

While I agree that scoop is underrated overall by the Fanbase I would say Dion on the same team the same year was better than Scoop. There was a stretch where Scoop was our best guard for about 4 to 5 games when we were in conference play. Triche also had his moments but overall Dion was our best guard IMO.

MCW couldn’t get minutes. On that team and Cooney was redshirting,
Dion was electrifying... I can understand any argument for putting him up high on the totem pole.

Injury that he never recovered from due to the Minnesota front office rushing him back before he was fully healed. Isiah Thomas is dealing with the same thing now.

Yeah, too many years have passed so I don't remember trivia like what happened in his workouts, but I remember that Donte was considered a decent prospect despite an uneven season and it was surprising that he ended up picked in the 20s.
I remember most reports having him late first round. The point of my previous post remains. Had he come back, it would have been the first time in a long time we had two lottery pick talents in the starting line up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom