Where does the SU student section rank in the ACC? | Syracusefan.com

Where does the SU student section rank in the ACC?

I think our student section gets a bad rap because they seem so far away from the action. When you watch a Duke/Pitt/UMd/etc. game you see the students surrounding the court. When you watch a Syracuse game it seems like you hardly see the student section other than free throw shots.

Our student section is not as bad as what it seems, because of the reason posted above. That being said, the chants they do are weak. You can say the same thing about the fanbase as a whole. Other than "LGO" we have nothing. It would be really cool to get something cool and unique, because LGO is not unique.

Our student section like UNC's is somewhat restricted by the fact SU puts season ticket holders behind the court and the students behind the basket on the Syracuse bench side. I think our student section isn't that bad, but I understand that SU values the $$$ over making the Dome more harder to play. I think the Pitt student section is completely overrated they are vulgar and aren't intimidating as much as they play a style that matches up well against our zone. Duke students were choreographed but it was more intimidating than Pitt. The difficulty on the road comes down to your senior leadership and the talent of the opposing team. Once Rutgers completely bottomed out as basketball team going to the RAC wasn't as difficult and we took it over the last few times. Its all about the opponent's talent IMO.

Our student section is not as bad as what it seems, because of the reason posted above. That being said, the chants they do are weak. You can say the same thing about the fanbase as a whole. Other than "LGO" we have nothing. It would be really cool to get something cool and unique, because LGO is not unique.
The only chants during my time were Let's Go Orange, C-U, S-E, and Who's House? Cuse House. The student leaders needs to develop some chants behind LGO and that depends on the leaders of Otto's Army.

Orangeyes said:
This Monday the Maryland students put on this display http://inthecapital.streetwise.co/2014/02/25/umd-flash-mob-at-syracuse-game-video/ We all know about Duke & Pitt Where do our students rank among the rest as far as attendance, game rituals and enthusiasm?

I believe you and I had this conversation during the game thread.

Personally I say we set it up and have the kids surround the court minus the court side seats. They're soooooo restricted that I think it takes them out of the game where you see other teams take such advantage with their student sections.

The downfalls, season ticket holders pissed, and a less money for the university. The first one is understandable, the second isn't an excuse for the money this university brings in. The season ticket holders, sorry, this is college basketball and it should be about the students first and foremost.

What do we need other than LGO? It's universally recognized (ask any road venue we have taken over). Other than The Hey Song, I can't think of anything else we need.

Agreed on LGO. I'm a recent grad and thought our student section was weak. So many other schools have chants tailored to their opponents outside of the typical 'You suck!" We had a big game watch for the first Duke game and fans of other teams at the bar (UK and Florida) wanted to fire everybody up. A UK fans asks us what is our 'thing', after he's told it's 'Let's Go Orange!' he says 'Really? That's it?' Sure, he sounds like an ass but he's right. For a big basketball brand we should have something more.

This Monday the Maryland students put on this display

http://inthecapital.streetwise.co/2014/02/25/umd-flash-mob-at-syracuse-game-video/

We all know about Duke & Pitt

Where do our students rank among the rest as far as attendance, game rituals and enthusiasm?

Attendance wise we have to be #1 in the ACC and I have to imagine we're near the top in the country. We have 5,200 seats in the student section. It's not filled every game obviously, but the nature of the Carrier Dome allows us to have more students than any other school. Again I'm not positive as I don't have exact student attendance numbers for all schools, but I'm sure we're near the top.

Game rituals are tough. Obviously there's the "Let's Go Orange" chant. We do the "Go Orange" chant during timeouts sometimes where the lower section says "Go" and the upper section says "Orange." I want to try and get the "Go Orange" chant to happen while we're on offense just so we can have something else to say besides "Let's Go Orange." And we're always open to new ideas if anyone has anything. We came up with the car alarm this year which is something no other school does. Also, we thought about doing a vertical wave from bottom to top and then back to the bottom.

As far as enthusiasm, I think there's not many schools in the country better than us when there's big games. Tough to get a lot of enthusiasm when playing the bottom feeders in the conference although this team has caused a few too many panic attacks towards the end of games this year.

Ask anyone that went to the Final Four last season. All 3 other fanbases had great chants and traditions. We were kind of just, bleh.
If you would have been in the dungeon that they had all of the students in, you'd see how terrible our student section is/was. Michigan's student section was really coordinated, loud, and there were a lot of kids there in general. I obviously blame this on ~90+% of the kids who go to Syracuse have never liked or had any interest in Syracuse athletics.

Attendance wise we have to be #1 in the ACC and I have to imagine we're near the top in the country. We have 5,200 seats in the student section. It's not filled every game obviously, but the nature of the Carrier Dome allows us to have more students than any other school. Again I'm not positive as I don't have exact student attendance numbers for all schools, but I'm sure we're near the top.

Game rituals are tough. Obviously there's the "Let's Go Orange" chant. We do the "Go Orange" chant during timeouts sometimes where the lower section says "Go" and the upper section says "Orange." I want to try and get the "Go Orange" chant to happen while we're on offense just so we can have something else to say besides "Let's Go Orange." And we're always open to new ideas if anyone has anything. We came up with the car alarm this year which is something no other school does. Also, we thought about doing a vertical wave from bottom to top and then back to the bottom.

As far as enthusiasm, I think there's not many schools in the country better than us when there's big games. Tough to get a lot of enthusiasm when playing the bottom feeders in the conference although this team has caused a few too many panic attacks towards the end of games this year.
C-U, S-E is an easy alternate chant to LGO! for a bit during the game. Also, as I said one of our student leaders saw the football team when they grouped together say who's house? cuse house and our student section stole that for basketball season. I love LGO!! but we need some alternate chants during the game.

We need to schedule a "game" at the dome, get 30,000 people there and then just have a giant brainstorming session. Ideas would be flowing left and right. For a big time program, we are severely lacking in this department.

Is it legal to hold cards during foul shots? What I mean is this: everyone in the student section has a maybe 2 foot by 2 foot card under their seat that ie either white, orange, or blue. The cards could be arranged to make som really distracting pattern. Right when opposing player goes into free throw motion, the cards are displayed in a "snap" to make a wall to wall distracting color pattern. You could take this idea in several directions like trying to do moving patterns by passing the cards around, doing a flashing pattern by snapping the cards up and down, etc.

With the size and position of our student section, that would be awesome, but I am no totally sure if it is legal to do something like that.

Is it legal to hold cards during foul shots? What I mean is this: everyone in the student section has a maybe 2 foot by 2 foot card under their seat that ie either white, orange, or blue. The cards could be arranged to make som really distracting pattern. Right when opposing player goes into free throw motion, the cards are displayed in a "snap" to make a wall to wall distracting color pattern. You could take this idea in several directions like trying to do moving patterns by passing the cards around, doing a flashing pattern by snapping the cards up and down, etc.

With the size and position of our student section, that would be awesome, but I am no totally sure if it is legal to do something like that.

Dont see how it would be any different from the spinning wheels maryland has for example.

Just make sure not to use them in the 2nd half;)

Just make sure not to use them in the 2nd half;)

The back of the cards could be black so in the second half the students could hold them steady from the time the player steps to the line. It would create a perfect "batter's blind" for shooting.

As when I was in school, I think the students do a great job getting to games on Saturday's or big games. A lot of the games during the week seem poorly attended. From 03-07, I remember if I didnt get there at least a half hour to an hour before I used to get stuck in the Upper Deck. It seems like this year, at least for most of the weekday games there is barely anyone in the upper deck. I'm not saying my generation was more into sports, because there could be other determining factors why attendance is less during the week. (Classes, Homework, just being busy), but sans Duke and a couple other Saturday games I have thought the Student Section Attendance was rather average this year.

What other major school puts half its students in the upper deck far away from the court? Given their placement relative to other schools like Duke, Pitt, etc. it's hard for them to coordinate and be noticed.

People forget why the students were moved from the side court bleachers to behind the basket. Except for a couple big games, the sections were 1/2 empty or more. Now it's too late. Forget the money, you can't take 2-3k people with good seats and tell them they are moving to worse seats.

The next opportunity to do something different with the students is when we move into a new facility.

and there was also the one we got in a lot of trouble for...

opposing player hit's a free throw

student's reply with:
"S***, F Y a**h***"