Where Gonzaga lost it | Syracusefan.com

Where Gonzaga lost it

SWC75

Bored Historian
The Bulldogs, (no, "Zags" is not their real nickname), were 8 for 19 from the three point line (42.1%) compared to UNC's abysmal 4 for 27 ((14.8%).

They also out-shot and out-scored the Tar Heels from the foul line, 17 for 26 (65.4%) to 15 for 26 (57.7%)

They out-rebounded North Carolina, (the nation's #1 rebounding team), 49-46. they did have more turnovers, 14-4.

But the big stat was good ol' two point field goal percentage. North Carolina shot 22 for 46 against Gonzaga's big front line, (47.8%). But the Zags, I mean the Bulldogs, were only 12 for 40 inside the arc (a horrible 30%) . That was 20 more points inside the arc.

Ball game.

I thought Few had a rough last few minutes. Running stuff thru a kid with an obviously bad ankle made no sense. pound it once to the big guy who was awful but was freeing up looks at least. Asking a one legged kid to beat a good defender off the dribble in clutch situations is tough.

I thought Few had a rough last few minutes. Running stuff thru a kid with an obviously bad ankle made no sense. pound it once to the big guy who was awful but was freeing up looks at least. Asking a one legged kid to beat a good defender off the dribble in clutch situations is tough.

Agree completely. I love the heart of that kid, but he has to give the ball up at that point. I could have blocked that shot with how little lift he got.

The Bulldogs, (no, "Zags" is not their real nickname), were 8 for 19 from the three point line (42.1%) compared to UNC's abysmal 4 for 27 ((14.8%).

They also out-shot and out-scored the Tar Heels from the foul line, 17 for 26 (65.4%) to 15 for 26 (57.7%)

They out-rebounded North Carolina, (the nation's #1 rebounding team), 49-46. they did have more turnovers, 14-4.

But the big stat was good ol' two point field goal percentage. North Carolina shot 22 for 46 against Gonzaga's big front line, (47.8%). But the Zags, I mean the Bulldogs, were only 12 for 40 inside the arc (a horrible 30%) . That was 20 more points inside the arc.

Ball game.

The big Pole just missed everything close it seemed. That was a huge factor and probably half of the misses from the 3 line.

Two reasons they lost (besides the whistle-happy refs and W-G's untimely ankle injury): They went toe-to-toe during the first half and outrebounded the Heels, who have lost every time they were outrebounded, but the Zags' inexplicable lack of energy coming out of the break gave UNC some confidence and momentum they never relinquished. The other factor: UNC's last-second loss to Villanova last year likely motivated the Tar Heels just enough during crunch time to see it through. A stinging lost in the biggest game can have that effect.-VBOF

2 problems for the Zags stood out for me as costing them the game:
1. Williams-Goss is an 88% free throw shooter but goes 4-8 from the line.
If you want to win a title game, he has to go 8-8. Can't give away 4 points.

2. Zags in bounded to start 2nd half. Make a lazy pass that is picked off into a break-
away layup. Bingo gave away 2 points.

Those 6 points is the difference of being in a tie game with 1:45 or having a 6 point lead and in control and forcing UNC to gamble.

Karnowski just flat out choked! Every other shot he took, his eyes were not on the rim but on the defender. No focus on finishing.

Last edited:
The big Pole just missed everything close it seemed. That was a huge factor and probably half of the misses from the 3 line.
Wasn't that weird? It was if he were cursed. I thought only our players did that!

With all the various on point comments here it seems there are a number of reasons Gonzaga lost.

My view: two great disparities in UNC's favor.
UNC had only 4 turnovers...Gonzaga had 14. That's giving up 10 more chances to score than UNC did.
It's a big reason for the other huge disparity: the difference in shots.
UNC took 73 shots...Gonzaga only 59.

I would have to go with the 1st, 2nd and particularly the 4th foul on Collins.

Biggest reason they lost to me was Collins having to sit on the bench. PK didn't have it early, but also usually gets a lot of rest. He was forced to play through fatigue. If they don't call a terrible moving screen on Collins then a terrible phantom 4th, then they win. In my opinion. They were dominating the boards in the 1st half, but missed a lot of shots to run away with it. Then the three bigs go to half with 2 fouls.

The fact they were still in it so long tells me they were the best team if the stripes didn't take over.

Biggest reason they lost to me was Collins having to sit on the bench. PK didn't have it early, but also usually gets a lot of rest. He was forced to play through fatigue. If they don't call a terrible moving screen on Collins then a terrible phantom 4th, then they win. In my opinion. They were dominating the boards in the 1st half, but missed a lot of shots to run away with it. Then the three bigs go to half with 2 fouls.

The fact they were still in it so long tells me they were the best team if the stripes didn't take over.

Yeah, the turnovers above as mentioned by Col Bleep and Collins sitting on the bench like you say. He was really effective. Looks deceptively strong and he's obviously very skilled and athletic. Good looking player.

Yeah, the turnovers above as mentioned by Col Bleep and Collins sitting on the bench like you say. He was really effective. Looks deceptively strong and he's obviously very skilled and athletic. Good looking player.

I feel bad for the kid. You can tell he's a competitor, and wanted to be in there. When he got an and one to make it something like a 1 point lead then I thought they had it.

Not more than a minute later, and he gets his 4th I believe. Back to the bench. He was overzealous on D though. Knowing the refs were, well the refs, then he probably should have just done nothing on D.

His offense was sorely needed, along with rest to PK. Just disappointing that what should have been a great game turned into who knows what.

I thought that the two would make it to half with just one or two fouls each, and be fine. Collins may have even got a third before half, but not sure. Either way, that derailed them. Turnovers didn't help, but a few cheap ones late to add to the total.

Anyway, it's over and UNCheat wins another. Go ACC though. I'm sure the Athletic Department will put that little extra money to good use.

I feel bad for the kid. You can tell he's a competitor, and wanted to be in there. When he got an and one to make it something like a 1 point lead then I thought they had it.

Not more than a minute later, and he gets his 4th I believe. Back to the bench. He was overzealous on D though. Knowing the refs were, well the refs, then he probably should have just done nothing on D.

His offense was sorely needed, along with rest to PK. Just disappointing that what should have been a great game turned into who knows what.

I thought that the two would make it to half with just one or two fouls each, and be fine. Collins may have even got a third before half, but not sure. Either way, that derailed them. Turnovers didn't help, but a few cheap ones late to add to the total.

Anyway, it's over and UNCheat wins another. Go ACC though. I'm sure the Athletic Department will put that little extra money to good use.

For sure. Two really good teams with all the pieces. This year's Gonzaga team was a beast having NWG. Just proves that you need a really solid PG to make a deep run. Berry is excellent too.

The Bulldogs were 8 for 19 from the three point line (42.1%) compared to UNC's abysmal 4 for 27 ((14.8%).

They out-rebounded North Carolina, (the nation's #1 rebounding team), 49-46.
If I hadn't watched the game and someone had told me that Gonzaga shot 42% from three compared to UNC's 15% and outrebounded the Heels, I would have thought for sure that Gonzaga won by 30+.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom