Votes: 5 33.3%
  • A major market

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • A non-major market

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

moqui

generational talent
so the story now is that his "people" are hoping to engineer an out from san antonio to get him to a major market - los angeles, new york or philly. only the spurs can give him the super max, so he'd be leaving a lot of money on the table. and he's a generational player so pop & rc will do everything they can to keep him in san antone. but imo, it's the most intriguing question of the offseason, more so than lebron's destination.

i hope he stays in sa, but if not i'd love to see a way to team him with anthony davis in new orleans.

so the story now is that his "people" are hoping to engineer an out from san antonio to get him to a major market - los angeles, new york or philly. only the spurs can give him the super max, so he'd be leaving a lot of money on the table. and he's a generational player so pop & rc will do everything they can to keep him in san antone. but imo, it's the most intriguing question of the offseason, more so than lebron's destination.

i hope he stays in sa, but if not i'd love to see a way to team him with anthony davis in new orleans.
I want him to land in whichever conference LeBron does.

Clippers is my guess.
They have Bradley and two lottery picks.

Wouldn't Bradley need to be some kind of sign and trade?
Yes but he is a Pop type player and his market isn’t going to be full since only 5 teams have real cap space and Lakers won’t waste it on him.
Thus if he wants to get real money a sign and trade is needed.

Saw a story on this. It's (allegedly) all about the shoes. Wants a royalty deal, but thinks he can't get one in SA.
The story says KD will make $300M on his shoe deal.

Saw a story on this. It's (allegedly) all about the shoes. Wants a royalty deal, but thinks he can't get one in SA.
The story says KD will make $300M on his shoe deal.

Those shoe deal numbers are often inflated to showcase the max that a player may earn on them. This also isn't the 90s and early 2000s. A few guys may make a ton, but it's not like it was.

Kawhi's issue isn't that he's in SA, Kawhi's issue that no one knows what he sounds like. Put him in LA, he'll get drowned out even more.

I love Kawhi. I think when healthy he's the second best player in the NBA.

He's leaving a LOT of money on the table if he doesn't sign the super max with San Antonio. To top off his earnings, he'd still be in Texas (no state tax, I believe), playing a lot of other teams (Hou, Dal) where he won't get hit with state tax.

If he goes to California, he doesn't get the super max, gets taxed way higher (this coming from *me* of all people), and is now in a market where you have to be at the absolute apex AND have a personality (or ability to fake it) that fits to the marketing.

atlanta has 4 picks in the top 34 of this year's draft

just sayin'

Kawhi if he demands a trade goes to Lakers, Clippers, Celtics or 76ers.

He isn’t going to Atlanta and a complete rebuild.

Something is broken there with their relationship, with him basically sitting out the entire season. I'm not sure the Spurs even know what's wrong. But he gone. I think him going to New York is a pipe dream. LA Lakers have cap room to add a superstar, and he would be a better signing than Lebron, at this point in their careers. But where is his head at? That alone makes this a very risky move for whoever signs him.

Kawhi if he demands a trade goes to Lakers, Clippers, Celtics or 76ers.

He isn’t going to Atlanta and a complete rebuild.

If I'm the Celtics, I don't think I want him, with all the talented young forwards they have.

I think he fits better in LA with the Lakers or with Philly.

If I'm the Celtics, I don't think I want him, with all the talented young forwards they have.

I think he fits better in LA with the Lakers or with Philly.

Isn't the absolute best case scenario for any of the guys they have that one of them turns into...Kawhi Leonard?

Isn't the absolute best case scenario for any of the guys they have that one of them turns into...Kawhi Leonard?
Jaylen Brown’s production isn’t that far off and he’s 21/healthy/zero drama.

I mean Jaylen Brown is good but come on.

Kawhi’s not worth jaylen and the kings pick imo. Rather see us land KAT or figure out AD. Im not sure how well Kawhi fits in Boston

I mean Jaylen Brown is good but come on.
It is not a crazy comp. Look at the numbers
Kawhi was a rookie as a 20 year old
Kawhi Leonard Stats | Basketball-Reference.com
Kawhi went from 7.7 ppg 5.1 rpg year one to 11.9 ppg 6.0 rpg year two.

Then Jaylen Brown
Jaylen Brown Stats | Basketball-Reference.com
Brown was 6.6 ppg 2.8 rpg year one to 14.5ppg 4.9 rpg year two.

Brown is a good defender as well who get better.

The comp isn't crazy. Brown is the same age as Leonard when both started. Not saying Brown will be a top 5 player but he is well on his way to top 20 or better status at his age he is doing what Leonard did with a team that is having success just like Kawhi.
San Antonio would be lucky to get a package with Brown in a trade for Kawhi.

Kawhi’s not worth jaylen and the kings pick imo. Rather see us land KAT or figure out AD. Im not sure how well Kawhi fits in Boston

If you know Kawhi is getting back to 100% he is absolutely worth that.

You're talking a perennial MVP candidate and maybe the only guy in the league that can guard KD, Bron, Harden, etc one on one.

I mean, I get it for fit, but KAT isn't in the same class as Kawhi. AD, sure.

It is not a crazy comp. Look at the numbers
Kawhi was a rookie as a 20 year old
Kawhi Leonard Stats | Basketball-Reference.com
Kawhi went from 7.7 ppg 5.1 rpg year one to 11.9 ppg 6.0 rpg year two.

Then Jaylen Brown
Jaylen Brown Stats | Basketball-Reference.com
Brown was 6.6 ppg 2.8 rpg year one to 14.5ppg 4.9 rpg year two.

Brown is a good defender as well who get better.

The comp isn't crazy. Brown is the same age as Leonard when both started. Not saying Brown will be a top 5 player but he is well on his way to top 20 or better status at his age he is doing what Leonard did with a team that is having success just like Kawhi.
San Antonio would be lucky to get a package with Brown in a trade for Kawhi.

Ok but my point (and I still think its kind of a crazy comp because Kawhi is like the 99% percentile outcome for Jaylen Brown) is that what is the best case for Jaylen Brown? Kawhi Leonard! So you could (theoretically, of course) get Kawhi Leonard now and not have to worry about if Brown hits his ceiling.

Just totally disagree. If you get a clean bill of health on Leonard, the guy is one of the 3 or 4 best players in the league. Anthony Davis might be better, but he might not be, and he isn't available right now. If a guy like Kawhi is available, you just need to go for him.

I'm not trying to kill jaylen brown either. Guy looks like he's going to be a really good player. Is already good at a young age. Leonard is a game changing type player. On a side note, I am very much fascinated as to how this all plays out with Leonard and the Spurs

Maybe im the only one here who thinks Kawhi’s, at this point in his career, very overrated.

Ill keep my young talent and draft picks

I think Kawhi ends up staying in San Antonio, but to the question, if he's healthy, I would trade Jaylen Brown + more for him in a heartbeat.

Ok but my point (and I still think its kind of a crazy comp because Kawhi is like the 99% percentile outcome for Jaylen Brown) is that what is the best case for Jaylen Brown? Kawhi Leonard! So you could (theoretically, of course) get Kawhi Leonard now and not have to worry about if Brown hits his ceiling.

Just totally disagree. If you get a clean bill of health on Leonard, the guy is one of the 3 or 4 best players in the league. Anthony Davis might be better, but he might not be, and he isn't available right now. If a guy like Kawhi is available, you just need to go for him.

I'm not trying to kill jaylen brown either. Guy looks like he's going to be a really good player. Is already good at a young age. Leonard is a game changing type player. On a side note, I am very much fascinated as to how this all plays out with Leonard and the Spurs
I get what your saying. If Leonard is moved this offseason I don't think the Spurs could get a better player/prospect than Brown. The Lakers could offer Ingram, Philly could offer Fultz I would take Brown over those two right now. Ingram had a nice Sophomore season but if Ainge was offered Ingram for Brown straight up right now he wouldn't make the trade. Ingram can score but Brown is a better all-around player and had more WS this year.

Maybe im the only one here who thinks Kawhi’s, at this point in his career, very overrated.

Ill keep my young talent and draft picks

I don't think it's possible to overrate a guy that's proven he's a top 5ish player in the NBA. Nobody here is saying he's better than Lebron or Durant or anything, but he's been a starter for 5 years, and during that time, he's finished top 3 in MVP voting twice and won DPOY twice.

I think Kawhi ends up staying in San Antonio, but to the question, if he's healthy, I would trade Jaylen Brown + more for him in a heartbeat.
If Celtics made an offer it would have to be Brown + Rozier or the Kings pick for Leonard for San Antonio to do it.
Unless Leonard really tanked Spurs leverage. I think the Celtics package would be the best the Spurs could get unless the 76ers included Saric with the 10th pick and Fultz.