Where is the team we saw a month ago? | Syracusefan.com

Where is the team we saw a month ago?

Flacusian

All Conference
I've been an avid Syracuse Basketball fan for over 30 years and I've seen a lot of good Syracuse teams, a few great ones and a few stinkers as well. I may not be the most knowledgeable college basketball fan but there really seems to be something going on with this current team. The drop off in play has been precipitous and the body language of the players gives me the impression that there is some kind of problem. I'd like to believe that all will be well but the "eye test" of this team's play together would tend to indicate otherwise.

A few posters here have noted, and observed correctly that the team hasn't played well since the L&T misunderstanding and certainly MCW is not the same player he was a month ago. I'd love to be on here gushing about how nicely this team is coming together and that they look like they can be something special... but I really have the feeling that this team might be in the process of coming unglued. Aside from CJ almost everyone has seemed to have taken a step backwards. One on one basketball isn't going to cut it come BE play. I feel badly that at times tonight I thought of how nice it would be to have Scoops enthusiasm and stabilizing leadership out there. Our 2 seniors, as much as I like them, don't seem to be the types of players that you would look to for strong leadership.

If this is in fact MCW's team, we could be in trouble. There is no questioning his talent and the fact that he is a gifted facilitator but the questions which have arisen regarding his character are for me, cause for concern. I recall the shout down with Coach last year. There have been moments in the recent games that he hasn't conducted himself in an admirable fashion. Bad attitudes can be like a cancer on a team. When a person who is a key component on a team has problems it can affect the entire team. I don't know if that's the case but I have to admit it wouldn't surprise me one bit. This team has it's flaws, all teams do and I don't think there was much doubt that they would have some bumps along the road this season. But what I've watched for portions of the past 3 games is not what I was expecting after the early season play of this team. It's my hope that they get it all straightened out and soon because an NIT season would be a step back in the wrong direction for a program which has forged ahead in recent years. This team has 3 McD AA. We shouldn't look like we've looked against the likes of Alcorn St. at 2-12.

This could be an NIT season? Haha
If they play in BE play like they did tonight it's not out of the question. Do I think it will happen? NO... just making a point.

If I had a dollar for every guy who got into it with JB I wouldn't work. People at like JB is some soft spoken gentle soul.

Based on merit, we've accomplished approximately nothing, depending on your view of the sdsu game. we have plenty of chances to right the ship, but we're not a good team at the moment.

until this team establishes some sort of identity i don't see this getting better in a rush. mcw's tendency to be out of control is now being used as a valuable weapon by opponents. that said, we gotta shoot 65 percent or better from the stripe, do that and we are 12-0.. still with flaws but 12-0

MCW not seeing a minute during that big stretch in the 2nd half (despite Triche struggling mightily) says a lot. I think he might be the problem.

Triche/Fair/Southerland/Rak/BMK were all big pieces last year on a team that didn't have any issues with chemistry (at least not the outsiders perspective)
Grant/Cooney/DC seem like they are fairly decent teammates and wouldn't have issues with their PT right now.

MCW is the only question mark.

The team appears to be in some sort of funk since halftime of the Detroit game, that is for sure. Two clear issues are free throw shooting and MCW's maturity level. I see "character" mentioned but I have no way to judge that. I can judge his maturity by the way he reacts to things during games and it appears he is currently a low maturity player. Hopefully, he can get back into his groove because it was clear when he is in that groove that he's a special talent.

The free throws? Who knows. Brandon Triche has been a rock-solid 80%+ guy for three years and now is shooting a horrid pct from the line. I can't figure that out.

At this point I am not in a panic about the remainder of the season, but also am walking back my sky-high feelings of this team's potential right now. I get the feeling that it wasn't just our fans who were surprised, shaken, and severely disappointed by this Lord and Taylor thing, though.

MCW not seeing a minute during that big stretch in the 2nd half (despite Triche struggling mightily) says a lot. I think he might be the problem.

Triche/Fair/Southerland/Rak/BMK were all big pieces last year on a team that didn't have any issues with chemistry (at least not the outsiders perspective)
Grant/Cooney/DC seem like they are fairly decent teammates and wouldn't have issues with their PT right now.

MCW is the only question mark.

I've only seen two games via the I/N, but it appears the good ship Orange caught some dirty air somewhere and the L&T thing is the apparent suspect. Not in itself so much, but maybe in where the chips fell when things were said and fingers pointed behind closed doors? Anyway, please God tell me nobody got caught boinking someone else's girlfriend. :D

Then again, maybe not. We've been here before, where we've seen good teams play down a hell of a lot more than we've seen poor teams play up. Maybe they just need a little more urgency, and a little less "smellin' their own piss," as my uncle liked to say.

Go Orange!

A few posters here have noted, and observed correctly that the team hasn't played well since the L&T misunderstanding and certainly MCW is not the same player he was a month ago.

L&T has nothing to do with it. The team went into a funk in the Detroit game which was before L&T. People need to stop over-analyzing.

It's on the coaching staff to get this corrected... which is why I don't have much faith.

L&T has nothing to do with it. The team went into a funk in the Detroit game which was before L&T. People need to stop over-analyzing.

It's on the coaching staff to get this corrected... which is why I don't have much faith.

L & T misunderstanding - 12/9

Detroit game - 12/17

Our staff is one of the best there is.

You must be more excited that you've been in three years, hoping that this year's team will give you an opportunity to spout your anti-Boeheim rhetoric.

IMO this is our traditional 6-8 game slide that typically came in January or Feb. The slide hasn't appeared the past couple of years but it appears to be in full effect now. It seemed in the past that when this appeared there were also team chemistry problems ( Devo, Harris off court type issues, others disgruntled about playing time, stuff like that). I am by no means saying this is what is going on as I have zero info (other than a MCW close call) but the pattern has been seen in the past. The good news is that the team is managing to win most of these games despite playing poorly. Hopefully, the problem is resolved soon and the team we knew last month comes back.

This team can look real good, when the inside guys can score and the guards can get out and run. That could do that for every game through the first half against Detroit.
But, face it, there are some issues that have nothing to do with chemistry or off-the-court events. Our best outside shooters (James and Trevor) are streaky, and opponents are working real hard at denying James the ball. BT can look great for parts of a game, then disappear. The inside guys don't have great post-up moves, can't shoot jump shots, and haven't been good defenders (apart from Keita, when he isn't overpowered).
The team presses well, and runs well when it has opportunities. The depth is well above average, although we could use another guard. In a half-court game, it struggles.
Can't chalk this all up to Lord & Taylors.

To me it just looks like they haven't adapted to how teams are going to play Syracuse. The word is out. Deny Southerland and everyone else is going to brick shots because they're not that good. The inside guys can't handle a pass and don't have any scoring moves other than dunking on a break. So, foul the post players because they're not shooting frees worth a damn. Every Div I team has 2-3 guys on the bench they can run out there for 4 PFs.

Syracuse isn't getting beat on the defensive end, but the offense looks like garbage.

The biggest issue is teams are now trying to get the ball out of mcw's hands. Triche needs to be a playmaker for us to have any big hopes. Hopefully his body language improves and he becomes a leader when the chips are down. No sulking

Without attempting to get into any technical commentary, it seems to me that the team has become very mechanical. There is no fluidity, little extra effort and practically no relaxed or happy attitude.

Something is bothering the players. L&T, somebody bitching about playing time, somebody getting a cold shoulder from one or more of the team, etc. The talent is still there. The need to show it and blend it with others is not.

The idea that L&T is effecting locker room chemistry is laughable and a poor excuse from our fan base regarding our poor play. I understand how events like that p*ss off fans, but in the locker room with the other guys its just a running joke. His teammates are going to make fun of him for the rest of the year and it is going to be part of the back and forth in the locker room. No big deal. Now your coach being accused of child molestation and being fired that can effect team chemistry but since it didn't I'm not buying L&T could effect team chemistry. 7 of the 9 guys on this team was on that team.

Leadership is another issue. Scoop was the leader of that team last year and he is sorely missed. He took all the heat made most of the big shots, he finished the rim at a high level and would have killed Temple for their strategy last week. Leadership doesn't need to be provided by a player it can be provided by a group of players and I hope the upperclassmen as a group can do it. (CJ, James, & Brandon)

I'm nitpicking, Gabjon but it is 6 of 9 players back from last year.

Syracuse isn't getting beat on the defensive end, but the offense looks like garbage.

I would watch a replay of Temple if you think this defense isn't capable of smelling like garbage.

L+T bad karma, leading to bad karma williams. People discount this type stuff.

That said, the penance is paid now with what happened at MSG with a MCW pathetic performance on national TV. WIth the new year let me proclaim the bad karma is over, penance paid, and time to get back to the the team we saw to start the year

I'm nitpicking, Gabjon but it is 6 of 9 players back from last year.
no Cooney was on the team and in the locker room he just didn't play.

Good posts in here.
I think it's becoming apparent that Scoop, KJ and Dion provided leadership and attitude last year that is missing this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom