Where O Where Has My Oshae Gone ???? - no need to panic | Syracusefan.com

Where O Where Has My Oshae Gone ???? - no need to panic

Just because you’re 6’7” / 6’8” and athletic doesn’t mean you get automatically drafted.

He has a great chance to be drafted but he has a TON of work to do this off season. His shooting was historically bad and needs to improve dramatically if he wants to sniff the NBA.

Just because you’re 6’7” / 6’8” and athletic doesn’t mean you get automatically drafted.

He has a great chance to be drafted but he has a TON of work to do this off season. His shooting was historically bad and needs to improve dramatically if he wants to sniff the NBA.
Agreed he oozes potential but he has to really learn how to finish better. Staying at least three years might not be bad for him.

Also - Oshae will be a top 20 pick next year. You can take that to the bank.

Agreed he oozes potential but he has to really learn how to finish better. Staying at least three years might not be bad for him.
I agree. But NBA teams have drafted players who have shown far less in college than what Oshae should show this coming year.

I agree. But NBA teams have drafted players who have shown far less in college than what Oshae should show this coming year.

Please find me one guy with shooting numbers like Brissett who was drafted. If there are any, I can’t imagine any stuck or had any sort of career and highly doubt they were in the first round.

He has no business going in the first round of the NBA draft until he can learn to finish much, much more effectively than he did this year. His numbers within 10 feet of the basket were pretty horrific for a kid with his size and athleticism. Hopefully he can adjust and improve this year because I do think he has top 20 draft potential, but the current body of work isn't worthy.

He was a freshman who averaged a double double in the ACC. Of course he’s a first round prospect. Whether or not he develops the perimeter game and can improve his finishing will decide if he’s a lottery talent. Thats my opinion.

I thought I saw him walking on...over the hill at the Hall with TT

Here are guys who had similar seasons as Brissett had in shooting percentage and volume.

Just browsing, I don’t think one of them played in the NBA, I could be wrong, but none of them did anything substantial.

Player Season Finder Query Results | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

I'm not sure that's fair to Oshae. First of all, being 6'8" and really athletic may be enough to get you drafted. It was for Jeremi Grant to a large degree. Grant obviously finished significantly better on two-point shots for both his frosh and soph years, but he made 6 threes total in his two years at the Cuse and not a single three as a sophomore.

By comparison, Oshae got off to a really slow start from three but wound up making 32 threes at a ~38% clip in ACC play. That will catch people's eyes along with his 83% shooting from the line in conference play (which would indicate that the numbers from three aren't necessarily just a small sample size blip.

So he certainly has plenty of room for improvement but I'm not really sure we can say he had an historically poor shooting season as a blanket statement. Or at least I'm not sure an NBA GM would necessarily agree with that statement.

Please find me one guy with shooting numbers like Brissett who was drafted. If there are any, I can’t imagine any stuck or had any sort of career and highly doubt they were in the first round.

I guess then that your expectation is that he won't show improvement this year?

I'm not sure that's fair to Oshae. First of all, being 6'8" and really athletic may be enough to get you drafted. It was for Jeremi Grant to a large degree. Grant obviously finished significantly better on two-point shots for both his frosh and soph years, but he made 6 threes total in his two years at the Cuse and not a single three as a sophomore.

By comparison, Oshae got off to a really slow start from three but wound up making 32 threes at a ~38% clip in ACC play. That will catch people's eyes along with his 83% shooting from the line in conference play (which would indicate that the numbers from three aren't necessarily just a small sample size blip.

So he certainly has plenty of room for improvement but I'm not really sure we can say he had an historically poor shooting season as a blanket statement. Or at least I'm not sure an NBA GM would necessarily agree with that statement.
Freshman seasons are often anomalous. Andy Rautins was a string bean his freshman year and hit only .327 from deep. By senior year (including a RS to rehab. and gain strength), he hit almost 41% of his 3pt shots -- good enough to put him in SU's top 15 all-time 3pt shooters. The same could very easily apply to OB ... who was shoved into a starting role well before he could adapt to ACC-level defenders or adjust to being one of the few offensive options on a point-starved team with no bench. Of course there were a couple rough months. People need to relax. I'd sign up to be Oshae's agent anytime.

Last edited:
I guess then that your expectation is that he won't show improvement this year?

I was only talking about last season. Somebody said he was a first round pick if he left.

I think he’ll be excellent and have a chance to be a lottery pick if he improves his shooting numbers and his defense. Wouldn’t hurt him to block more shots and pass the ball better either.

I was only talking about last season. Somebody said he was a first round pick if he left.

I think he’ll be excellent and have a chance to be a lottery pick if he improves his shooting numbers and his defense. Wouldn’t hurt him to block more shots and pass the ball better either.
If he improves in all those areas...I think your right, and he definitely will end up in the lottery...and more importantly, it probably means we had a heck of a season.

If he at the minimum, improves his ability to finish through contact at the rim on a consistent basis, that should be enough to get him in the first round. I think he showed at the end of the season that his shooting numbers from 15 feet out will be adequate. Anything closer than that for him, was just scary! (it was an interesting drinking game, to take a drink after all his missed layups though!)

If he improves in all those areas...I think your right, and he definitely will end up in the lottery...and more importantly, it probably means we had a heck of a season.

If he at the minimum, improves his ability to finish through contact at the rim on a consistent basis, that should be enough to get him in the first round. I think he showed at the end of the season that his shooting numbers from 15 feet out will be adequate. Anything closer than that for him, was just scary! (it was an interesting drinking game, to take a drink after all his missed layups though!)

Him vs. PC, who misses more bunnies?

Him vs. PC, who misses more bunnies?
Tough call...I at least understand Oshae missing some as he's going up through contact. PC is already above the rim, and should be able to drop it in! Either way...you'll be very drunk when that contest is over!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom