Where the F*** was Cooney going? | Syracusefan.com

Where the F*** was Cooney going?

Wow that in-bounds sequence was brutal. Nova wasn't set and SU had an easy entry if they just showed a little urgency...and not moving on the baseline to throw that pass...yikes.

So many why...

Cooney, the inbounder, the ref.

Cooney's defense on the Josh Hart 3 pointer reminded me of watching my neighbor's 6-year old kid's games - all the defenders just follow the ball around with no sense of anything that is going on anywhere else on the court. Inexcusable to give up that much of an open look when the other team DESPARATELY needs a 3 pointer.

Trapping like we often do. We did a poor job rotating.

Its a situation where everyone should know to stay at home on the perimeter and allow them a drive and try and score over Rak. Everyone for SU should have known that especially Cooney.

If that is the case, that's really crappy coaching. No way in hell that you should trap in that situation, up 5 with 10 second left. Your only mission at that point is to: 1) NOT GIVE UP A WIIIIIIIDDDDDE OPEN 3 POINTER, and 2) NOT FOUL.

Correct run them off the line toward Rakeem and then he should provide minor resistance and hope to make them shoot over him but under no circumstance foul.

Id rather give up an open dunk then an open 3 in that situation. Which is why you see so many teams just give up an easy layup there. Down 5 with 10 seconds left do the math, they're gonna need to hit a 3 at some point to tie the game. Just a complete lack of awareness by cooney there, that's an inexcusable play.

TinyManInside said:
If that is the case, that's really crappy coaching. No way in hell that you should trap in that situation, up 5 with 10 second left. Your only mission at that point is to: 1) NOT GIVE UP A WIIIIIIIDDDDDE OPEN 3 POINTER, and 2) NOT FOUL.

I don't know. Maybe Jb told them not to trap and they didn't listen. Maybe he told them to trap and they did. I also see Joseph start to rotate over when we trapped, but then he stopped. If he doesn't, that shooter isn't open and they would have had to make a long cross court skip pass.

IMO, the smart thing on that play would have been m2m. But we know that's not happening. Only seen it happen once. I think vs. Pitt in the Dome one year.

rrlbees said:
I don't know. Maybe Jb told them not to trap and they didn't listen. Maybe he told them to trap and they did. I also see Joseph start to rotate over when we trapped, but then he stopped. If he doesn't, that shooter isn't open and they would have had to make a long cross court skip pass. IMO, the smart thing on that play would have been m2m. But we know that's not happening. Only seen it happen once. I think vs. Pitt in the Dome one year.

Stubborn is as stubborn does.

As the ball was rolling down the court I said "No doubt Nova hits a three here. It always happens in this situation." But I was expecting more along the line of a semi-contested, trying not to foul, almost half court shot. Definitely not a wide open shot from just outside the arc. Watching that sequence again though, the most shocking part to me is that they didn't call a foul on the layup so Nova could just win in regulation.

As the ball was rolling down the court I said "No doubt Nova hits a three here. It always happens in this situation." But I was expecting more along the line of a semi-contested, trying not to foul, almost half court shot. Definitely not a wide open shot from just outside the arc. Watching that sequence again though, the most shocking part to me is that they didn't call a foul on the layup so Nova could just win in regulation.
I thought that was going to be "and-one" for sure. Especially given the way the game had been called.

Trapping like we often do. We did a poor job rotating.
cooney did what he was supposed to do.. the forward let the guard go baseline which caused Rak to have to cut him off and left cooney chasing.. had G done his job and cut off the baseline then cooney causes the trap. also the top side guard should have rotated over expecting the trap, so Joseph was out of position and cooney looks lost while making the correct play.

The entire sequence is the definition of what not to do. In fact, the odds of it happening so perfectly for nova are minuscule.

One of the biggest choke jobs I've ever witnessed. We aren't talking about a 30 foot bank 3 and then a great steal by nova to tie it up.

The entire last two possessions we did everything wrong but two made free throws by cooney.

It's still sickening. The wide open 3, letting the defense set up, not running the baseline, calling a timeout when your go to inbound player is right in front of you. Letting nova roll the ball up the court multiple times instead of pressuring ball, aka man to man, just to score in 4 seconds. It was all awful. Coaching, player execution, composure. All of it.

Anyone who says otherwise was blind. It was a complete collapse all around.

Yea, cause I'm sure JB was telling them to trap...once Cooney decided to get sucked in he should have just decided to trap because it would have been better than what he did. Also kaleb never rotated over, instead he spent his time indecisively running around the foul line not guarding the next available closest pass. It was bad all around.

The entire sequence is the definition of what not to do. In fact, the odds of it happening so perfectly for nova are minuscule.

One of the biggest choke jobs I've ever witnessed. We aren't talking about a 30 foot bank 3 and then a great steal by nova to tie it up.

The entire last two possessions we did everything wrong but two made free throws by cooney.

It's still sickening. The wide open 3, letting the defense set up, not running the baseline, calling a timeout when your go to inbound player is right in front of you. Letting nova roll the ball up the court multiple times instead of pressuring ball, aka man to man, just to score in 4 seconds. It was all awful. Coaching, player execution, composure. All of it.

Anyone who says otherwise was blind. It was a complete collapse all around.
you don't need to go man to man there to pressure the ball. Just send Joseph or cooney down to make sure they pick it up and then hustle back into position in the zone. On that play cooney was up towards half court but didn't do anything to make villanova pick it up.

I don't know. Maybe Jb told them not to trap and they didn't listen. Maybe he told them to trap and they did. I also see Joseph start to rotate over when we trapped, but then he stopped. If he doesn't, that shooter isn't open and they would have had to make a long cross court skip pass.

IMO, the smart thing on that play would have been m2m. But we know that's not happening. Only seen it happen once. I think vs. Pitt in the Dome one year.

No doubt Kaleb should have rotated over, but that still leaves the floor crazily unbalanced and Hart would have had the opportunity to reverse the ball to the top of the key for an open 3.

I don't like the idea of trapping up 5 with 10 seconds left. Protect the perimeter, don't foul, and inbounds the ball and you win.

Bottom line if Archie wants to drive the 3pt's line to the corner in that situation pass him off to the forward and be done with it.

I get the feeling this was like the ncstate game last year, where we were undefeated. Now we get to roll the opposite direction. ;)

Well we should be favored to win the next 10 games. How we win will determine if we are rolling well or merely surviving when we get to the meat of the ACC schedule.

Cheers,
Neil

Bottom line if Archie wants to drive the 3pt's line to the corner in that situation pass him off to the forward and be done with it.

We should of let Archidicrapano shoot the ball. I know, I know, he beat us two years ago, but what are the odd's a 29 percent shooter was going to beat us twice?

omniorange said:
Well we should be favored to win the next 10 games. How we win will determine if we are rolling well or merely surviving when we get to the meat of the ACC schedule. Cheers, Neil

Yeah, looking at the schedule any other year I look at it as a 10-0 run with ease.

I'd be happy going 8-2 in the next 10, anything worse is going to give us real trouble going forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom