"Where there's smoke, there's fire" | Syracusefan.com

"Where there's smoke, there's fire"

Cadillac

Starter
... is the dumbest, most knee-jerk, most provincial, thoughtless expression. I have always hated it with a passion.

Don't get me wrong - this is not aimed at anyone here. It's a popular colloquialism for a reason. It shore makes sense!

Last year, with the point shaving crap, how many times did you hear WHERE THERE'S SMOKE... ooooooops.

Many conditions can produce smoke without a fire ever happening. The expression may be a fallacy (and an idiot detector for you sports talk radio fans in the coming days), BUT - don't forget that by itself, smoke can still cause a lot of structural damage.

As can mindlessly repeating the phrase... where there's smoke.

(Taking a wait-and-see here. I respect the University's response. JB's quotes are very strong and straightforward. If there were conditions at the university and program level that allowed child abuse to in fact take place, I have no problem saying bye bye to everyone and starting new rivalries with Hamilton and Utica College. PSU football still should be burned down and the earth salted.)

Where there's smoke, there's probably Davis and Lang based on the ESPN interviews.