Where was Chino against Cornell? | Syracusefan.com

Where was Chino against Cornell?

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
I don't mean to rehash the debate about how many minutes guys should be/shouldn't be getting, but I am curious why Chino didn't get any time in the game against Cornell but the walkons did close it out.

I realize it was only 1 minute, but I would have expected Chino to get in before Akintobi-Adeyeye?

Is there an injury or potential redshirt I am unaware of?

Fair question.

I don't think our walkons would have played if not for Cornell emptying their bench first which I thought was a classy move by the Cornell coach.

Sometimes a coach, when he empties the bench with a minute left, will leave a scholarship player on the bench to send the message that he's not a mop up duty scrub. It's often meant to be a good message, like, "you're too good to be lumped in with the guys I'm putting out on the floor for less than a minute of action."

No idea if that's what happened here, but that's the mindset of some coaches sometimes.

I don't mean to rehash the debate about how many minutes guys should be/shouldn't be getting, but I am curious why Chino didn't get any time in the game against Cornell but the walkons did close it out.

I realize it was only 1 minute, but I would have expected Chino to get in before Akintobi-Adeyeye?

I didn't notice when I was at the game, but this post suggests that he may have some sort of hand or wrist injury.

As I've stated repeatedly this preseason, I believe that Obokoh will be a solid reserve big for us before his career is said and done. Book it.

But it isn't going to happen this year. He just isn't refined enough to earn JB's trust.

Certainly his not playing at all raised eyebrows. If Chino is injured that makes sense. If not, you have to wonder is he that bad that he can't see the floor in a game against a weak opponent with a big lead and the outcome certain, that he can't get in for a few minutes? I'm beginning to think that if Chris Mc returns for his soph year (looking more likely) and we need to clear a ship for Bryant, whether Chino is advised to move to a lower level program.

Can Chino still qualify for a RS since the NCAA waived it last year?

Can Chino still qualify for a RS since the NCAA waived it last year?

I don't think so, because they started his clock--no? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NCAA invalidated his redshirt by saying his clock had to start last season, so I don't think he could take a RS now without getting a waiver.

I don't think so, because they started his clock--no? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NCAA invalidated his redshirt by saying his clock had to start last season, so I don't think he could take a RS now without getting a waiver.

Ah, got it. I wasn't sure how all this worked.

Sometimes a coach, when he empties the bench with a minute left, will leave a scholarship player on the bench to send the message that he's not a mop up duty scrub. It's often meant to be a good message, like, "you're too good to be lumped in with the guys I'm putting out on the floor for less than a minute of action."

No idea if that's what happened here, but that's the mindset of some coaches sometimes.

I was thinking this might be the case, but that would be saying he is better than BJ Johnson who was out there those last few minutes and closed out the game.

Has to be injury or something disciplinary I would think. But yeah, I noticed this too.

I didn't notice when I was at the game, but this post suggests that he may have some sort of hand or wrist injury.

He definitely had a wrap on his left wrist/thumb at the Colgate game. I was looking for it because of the post you referenced and spotted it when he went to the bench before the game started.

Because he was unintentionally held back in HS, he had a year of his eligibility window knocked off.

The NCAA always puts the interests of its' student athletes first. ;)

The same place he'll be the rest of the season...the bench

You have 5 years to play 4. I think they just said essentially that chino has 3 years to play now, but why would he lose the shirt year?

You have 5 years to play 4. I think they just said essentially that chino has 3 years to play now, but why would he lose the shirt year?

Assume what they really said is that his five years should be measured from the year before he started at Cuse, thereby making a redshirt irrelevant as he is left with four years to use four years of eligibility.

Last edited:
As I've stated repeatedly this preseason, I believe that Obokoh will be a solid reserve big for us before his career is said and done. Book it.

But it isn't going to happen this year. He just isn't refined enough to earn JB's trust.

That may be the case, but circumstances may dictate otherwise like in the Nova game where both Rak and McCullough fouled out and he did get in the game, so why not give him minutes ahead of a walk-on?

That may be the case, but circumstances may dictate otherwise like in the Nova game where both Rak and McCullough fouled out and he did get in the game, so why not give him minutes ahead of a walk-on?

Next year the back of the zone is going to be rough.

I was thinking this might be the case, but that would be saying he is better than BJ Johnson who was out there those last few minutes and closed out the game.

Has to be injury or something disciplinary I would think. But yeah, I noticed this too.

BJ will have a chance to play more than Chino this year, so the court time for him means more. There was no need to throw Chino in for 1:30.

pfister1 said:
Assume what they really said is that his five years should be measured from the year before he started at Cuse, thereby making a redshirt irrelevant as he is left with four years to use four years of eligibility.
I thought they took away a year of eligibility altogether? No?

I thought they took away a year of eligibility altogether? No?

But that wouldn't preclude him from using a redshirt, just preclude him from having last season treated as a redshirt season. I understood one of the other posters to say he could not redshirt.

But that wouldn't preclude him from using a redshirt, just preclude him from having last season treated as a redshirt season. I understood one of the other posters to say he could not redshirt.
Sorry I should have been more clear. He can't redshirt because he did. The ncaa basically said he really had only 3 years to play. He took his shirt last year. This should be year 1 of 3 clock ticking.

Next year the back of the zone is going to be rough.
TB facial.jpg

Not if we get this manimal!