Where would today's win rank for you? | Syracusefan.com

Where would today's win rank for you?

adk(roc)CUSE

All Conference
Obviously in SU Football lore the most important win of all time would be the Cotton Bowl against Texas to tie up the strings on our only National Championship. But where would a win today rank for you personally, in your fan hood time? Some of you were probably around in '59. Some, like me really got on board in that magical '87 season, and others, because they bleed orange, and for no other reason joined in these down years. The answers should differ quite a bit I would guess.

Myself, when thinking of the biggest Syracuse football wins there are a quite few I have to sift through. Penn State 87, Of course WVU 87. Those late 80's, early 90's bowls. Hall of Fame vs LSU, Peach vs Georgia, Fiesta vs Colorado. The Gators come north. McNabb to Bromiski, and later that year finally beating Miami in McNabbs farewell, 66-13. (right in the middle of my season ticket years, glorious day in that building!). and of course prior to that all and just before my time, Nebraska

Reminiscing of these games and others I might be inclined that win today would top them all. You have to consider where we have been, just how invisible we have been to college football for near two decades. BY winning in Yankee Stadium today we would firmly plant our flag back on the college football landscape. Perhaps I feel this way because I am in the here and now.

Thoughts?

It’s a really interesting question. I think as you said consider where we have been and this feeling over the 15 years or so that we were buried in this awfulness that felt like we were never going to break out of that this would rank right up there. Probably the biggest in my lifetime.

I bought season tickets for the first time 2 years ago because something finally felt different when they hired Dino. I feel even more excited with Wildhack now on board. For the first time I can remember there felt like there was a light at the end of the tunnel. Even with Marrone it didn’t feel sustainable to me. He was a great coach but the recruiting never really picked up.

So yea today is the biggest I can remember. Just feels good that finally be in this position again.

If we win today, we will be one win away from a New Year's Six bowl game, a win in which would probably result in an AP Top 5 finish. This is incomprehensible after having four straight losing seasons. I honestly think today would be the most important program win since Penn State 1987.

The most improbable win ever was the Nebraska game. Nebraska was #1, we were less than a .500 team, and they had beaten us by 60 the year before. My oldest son was born the day before, so I'll never forget the date: 9/29/84. The PSU game had to be the most enjoyable, as we went up 49-0 against our most hated rival on national TV. We did go to our bench & ended up giving up 21 late points, which still pisses me off. I wasn't at the WVU game, so I can't even fathom how crazy that crowd went after the 2 point conversion. I was at the Florida game when Kirby Dar Dar took the opening kickoff back & no one sat the rest of the way. Pretty sure that the Gators were #2 coming in & we beat them soundly. For me, that was one of the best sports experiences I ever was part of. Today's game should be a crazy great game. Since I LOVE both teams, it'll have a bittersweet ending for me. The Orange will always be my #1, so that is where my heart will be. A win will put our Program at the next level. A win for ND & they're still in the running for the National Championship. I guess I should be happy either way, but I'll be sad for whoever loses also.

Obviously in SU Football lore the most important win of all time would be the Cotton Bowl against Texas to tie up the strings on our only National Championship. But where would a win today rank for you personally, in your fan hood time? Some of you were probably around in '59. Some, like me really got on board in that magical '87 season, and others, because they bleed orange, and for no other reason joined in these down years. The answers should differ quite a bit I would guess.

Myself, when thinking of the biggest Syracuse football wins there are a quite few I have to sift through. Penn State 87, Of course WVU 87. Those late 80's, early 90's bowls. Hall of Fame vs LSU, Peach vs Georgia, Fiesta vs Colorado. The Gators come north. McNabb to Bromiski, and later that year finally beating Miami in McNabbs farewell, 66-13. (right in the middle of my season ticket years, glorious day in that building!). and of course prior to that all and just before my time, Nebraska

Reminiscing of these games and others I might be inclined that win today would top them all. You have to consider where we have been, just how invisible we have been to college football for near two decades. BY winning in Yankee Stadium today we would firmly plant our flag back on the college football landscape. Perhaps I feel this way because I am in the here and now.

Thoughts?
Best Syracuse win this week! ;)

In terms of national perception I think this is the biggest in my recent memory. Win today and Syracuse will be changing a lot of minds. Will be a top 10 team with a good chance to finish the season 10-2 and be playing in a NY6 game for another chance to take down a top 10 team. At that point I think recruits jump on the opportunity to play at Syracuse for Babers.

img_7820.jpg

After 2003, Virginia Elite 8 and 6OT...this will be the biggest win since Syracuse became a part of my life.

There are only 3 “where were you” moments in my football fandom.

Nebraska 84
Penn State 87
WVU 87

(Lots of really enjoyable wins between WVU and Miami 98)

It’s been straight trash since other than Clemson last year.

This would not reach those three, but would put it up with Florida, Miami, Ohio State Clemson 2x.

Nebraska 84
Penn State 87
WVU 87

This would not reach those three, but would put it up with Florida, Miami, Ohio State Clemson 2x.

I was about a year late for Nebraska. My first real memory is the Cherry Bowl season. But I agree that Penn State and WVU are at the top and this would be on the next tier.

I’m 26 years old and became a fan at age 11 in 2003. #1, #2 isn’t even remotely close, in some ways you could even argue that #2 for me would be the NC State game earlier this year. We haven’t had a chance like this since we lined up against the Canes in 2001.

Nebraska 84
Penn State 87
WVU 87

Jake nailed it. A win today isn't on the level of the three mentioned above, but you could make a case its #4 right behind those 3

This isn’t the biggest win of the Babers era at SU. In my opinion that was Clemson last season. Major underdogs. That win kept the diehards from wavering like drunken sailors. A win today stops the casual fan from wavering.

In terms of impact on the fan base, PSU ‘87, NEB ‘84 and WVU ‘87 were huge. But they were building block games.

This is a slightly different deal at Yankee Stadium against ND in terms of the interest it will cause and the huge change in perception of the program winning it would cause.

This ranks up there with the 59 NC game in terms of the potential to catapult the program into the national picture. It’s really a quite unique opportunity.

Even if we lose this and it’s a close game, we win.

The most improbable win ever was the Nebraska game. Nebraska was #1, we were less than a .500 team, and they had beaten us by 60 the year before. My oldest son was born the day before, so I'll never forget the date: 9/29/84. The PSU game had to be the most enjoyable, as we went up 49-0 against our most hated rival on national TV. We did go to our bench & ended up giving up 21 late points, which still pisses me off. I wasn't at the WVU game, so I can't even fathom how crazy that crowd went after the 2 point conversion. I was at the Florida game when Kirby Dar Dar took the opening kickoff back & no one sat the rest of the way. Pretty sure that the Gators were #2 coming in & we beat them soundly. For me, that was one of the best sports experiences I ever was part of. Today's game should be a crazy great game. Since I LOVE both teams, it'll have a bittersweet ending for me. The Orange will always be my #1, so that is where my heart will be. A win will put our Program at the next level. A win for ND & they're still in the running for the National Championship. I guess I should be happy either way, but I'll be sad for whoever loses also.
Yeah I wanted to smack down Penn State by 60.

Best in-person moment for me was Nebraska. Norley to Siano.

I get Nebraska as the stunning upset over the defending national champion that put the name Syracuse all over the college football world. But didn't we end up with a losing record that year? Today, should we get the upset that puts the name Syracuse all over the college football world we will be looking at a New Years day bowl and a top 5 or 6 finish. Thus I give the edge to today. However I was not a fan yet back in '84, so my judgement is a bit skewed.

This isn’t the biggest win of the Babers era at SU. In my opinion that was Clemson last season. Major underdogs. That win kept the diehards from wavering like drunken sailors. A win today stops the casual fan from wavering.
No but ... the recruits will remember this more