Where's that Little Chicken? | Syracusefan.com

Where's that Little Chicken?

cuseincincy

All Conference
Or maybe I'm looking for Chicken Little there's lots of them around here. Before I go into my personal little rant I'd like state that there is really only one reason why we lost this game. 16-48, we didn't make enough shots. It truly is that simple and surprise surprise that is exactly what the HOFer said.

Beyond that there is perhaps a little truth in some of the diatribe about our centers, Frank, the offense, the coach, the former assistant coach, the PG position and of course the zone. It is very disappointing because we have one of the better rosters we have had in a few years. And I truly believe that the problems this teams has are correctable by the coaching staff if they find the right buttons to push.

The button I think needs to be pushed is pace. The only time we push the ball is after a turnover, why? We are pretty efficient scoring after turnovers and have a few guys that can finish. I'd make a concerted effort to push it EVERY FREAKING TIME! Especially after missed shots but even after made shots, grab the ball get it in and push down court. Frank is playing at half speed, or slower. In the infrequent times he uses some pace usually good thing happen. Good things are not happening at the end of the shot clock which we frequently reach because we HAVE NO FREAKING OFFENSE! The high screen we used is useless because nobody we have setting that screen can do anything afterwards if they get the ball. We stink in the half court so why do we play a half court game?

These are all issues the coaches could address, if they wanted to. They can't help Chukwu or OB be able to make layups, they can't suddenly make everyone better shooters, they can't make our centers any bigger.

That said if SU shoots 45%+ they probably beat UB. That would take some of the sting of this one away.

Before I go into my personal little rant I'd like state that there is really only one reason why we lost this game. 16-48, we didn't make enough shots. It truly is that simple and surprise surprise that is exactly what the HOFer said.

5BBBB384-7A5B-4D28-A581-005567F3F720.jpeg

It is the staffs job to install an offense to create good shots. We don't do that, and we buy the line "they just weren't going in". It's crap. ODU ran sets. They work we should replace the Globetrotters magic circle and try running a set. Hopefully one that doesn't involve a PC pick, flash or roll.

If we want to push the pace then Howard can’t play. I’ve never seen a point guard as slow as is is getting the ball up the court. It’s painful to watch along with rest of this team.

Or maybe I'm looking for Chicken Little there's lots of them around here. Before I go into my personal little rant I'd like state that there is really only one reason why we lost this game. 16-48, we didn't make enough shots. It truly is that simple and surprise surprise that is exactly what the HOFer said.

Beyond that there is perhaps a little truth in some of the diatribe about our centers, Frank, the offense, the coach, the former assistant coach, the PG position and of course the zone. It is very disappointing because we have one of the better rosters we have had in a few years. And I truly believe that the problems this teams has are correctable by the coaching staff if they find the right buttons to push.

The button I think needs to be pushed is pace. The only time we push the ball is after a turnover, why? We are pretty efficient scoring after turnovers and have a few guys that can finish. I'd make a concerted effort to push it EVERY FREAKING TIME! Especially after missed shots but even after made shots, grab the ball get it in and push down court. Frank is playing at half speed, or slower. In the infrequent times he uses some pace usually good thing happen. Good things are not happening at the end of the shot clock which we frequently reach because we HAVE NO FREAKING OFFENSE! The high screen we used is useless because nobody we have setting that screen can do anything afterwards if they get the ball. We stink in the half court so why do we play a half court game?

These are all issues the coaches could address, if they wanted to. They can't help Chukwu or OB be able to make layups, they can't suddenly make everyone better shooters, they can't make our centers any bigger.

That said if SU shoots 45%+ they probably beat UB. That would take some of the sting of this one away.

This!

Also, we take bad shots. Low-percentage shots.

Our best player gets an advantage on his defender at the end of the half, then gives it up to settle for a fadeaway that predictably comes up short. Again. Constant tunnel vision, taking contested shots instead of getting the ball to someone in better position to score. Near the end of the game, he gets fouled with his feet on the line (again) the lowest-percentage shot in basketball. How many long twos can one team take?

And it gets worse from there. Wild three off a screen by Hughes, consistent attempts by Brissett to avoid dunks and instead miss weak three-foot flip shots. This isn't a team whose individuals play smart, and emphasis on fundamentals has never been the staff's strong suit.

Glad some in this thread (besides op) can recognize there is a difference between good shots and bad shots. I think mareks baseline jumper may have been the only good shot all game.

Also, we were 8-22 from 3 but that includes 2 chucks at the end of the game so really 8-20 or 40%. This team is pretty good from deep when we get open set shots. Surprisingly we rarely get those but rather get rushed up 3s at the end of the shot clock because we cant get anything else.

22-34 FT's.

Lose by 6.

Make a few more FT's and take away Battle's BS offensive foul, and we're having a different conversation.

Or we're still having the same conversation, but we'd have a W instead of an L.

"Battle and Hughes, or else we lose". :rolleyes::oops::(

22-34 FT's.

Lose by 6.

Make a few more FT's and take away Battle's BS offensive foul, and we're having a different conversation.

Hopefully our wins arent contingent on shooting 87% from the free throw line.

22-34 FT's.

Lose by 6.

We're Syracuse and we were playing Old Dominion in the Dome. The margin for error shouldn't be one block/charge decision and a few missed ft's when we had a +14 fta advantage.

Last edited:

If JB really thinks this offense is fine and the only thing wrong is that enough of these bad contested shots aren’t falling, then this isn’t going to get better and SU will never be better than a bubble team again while he’s here. Hopefully he doesn’t really believe that.

We really need better discipline from all the players to move better with and without the ball and to take high quality shots more often. Urgency in player movement can be a huge boost to a struggling offense. One thing I’ll say about Buddy is he normally moves very well without the ball...probably better than anyone on the team.

I do see more sets this year (vs last year) and I think we need the coaches to continue to look for plays to get us good shots. As much basketball as jb watches I’m surprised we don’t run more sets...there are tons of great plays being run at the college and pro levels..

I agree with those advocating for lineup changes. I think it could be just what the doctor ordered for this team.

I am surprised by our play thus far but not disappointed. These guys are busting their tails and we will get it figured out.

“It’s a make or miss league” has basically become the meathead rhetoric of Syracuse Basketball.

Apparently there is some sort of "conservation of meathead-ery" going on with Syracuse University's revenue sports.

We really need better discipline from all the players to move better with and without the ball and to take high quality shots more often. Urgency in player movement can be a huge boost to a struggling offense. One thing I’ll say about Buddy is he normally moves very well without the ball...probably better than anyone on the team.

I do see more sets this year (vs last year) and I think we need the coaches to continue to look for plays to get us good shots. As much basketball as jb watches I’m surprised we don’t run more sets...there are tons of great plays being run at the college and pro levels..

I agree with those advocating for lineup changes. I think it could be just what the doctor ordered for this team.

I am surprised by our play thus far but not disappointed. These guys are busting their tails and we will get it figured out.

I agree with most of this but it seems like it just isn’t in the cards. Either the more movement has been scrapped altogether or the players disobey. Same thing pretty much every game especially when you get athletes in our ballpark or better defending. The Centers aren’t helping and we are in a big bind there. Can’t have Marek out there too much at the 5. Frank is moving like a Grandpa and Carey really needs to get his act together if we need him to fill in short term or long term.

Not sure what Pitino or others could draw up for these guys. They collectively can’t shoot or pass well. We overrate them from a speed and athleticism standpoint also, IMO. They struggle with basic fundamentals and I think they are ‘allowed’ to play selfish ball. That’s part of the problem. Not sure if the selfishness is being coached out of them. Not sure how much the players are doing to improve on their own. S&C we look like a bunch of runway models in Paris compared to these jacked and diesel cats on all of these teams lately. But, JB recruited these guys so he must fix it. Big if.

No offense to you, but it is always true in a loss that we ‘didn’t make enough shots.’ That’s the most meaningless statement in the history of basketball. I’m surprised it has any traction here.

Why am I living in a van down by the river?
I didn’t make enough money.

“If we made free throws, maybe we’d beat OLD DOMINION AT HOME by 2”

Say it out loud and maybe reconsider your thoughts

22-34 FT's.

Lose by 6.

Leaving so many points at the free throw line let ODU hang around, no question about it. And it was SU's most reliable free throw shooters who were doing the missing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom