Which is better? | Syracusefan.com

Which is better?

SWC75

Bored Historian
On Bud and the Manchild, they asked: would you rather have this eyar's team go 28-3 in the regular season and then lose in the second round of the NCAAs or would you prefer they go 21-10 but make it to the Final Four?

I'm greedy. I want to go 28-3 and go to the Final Four. I think a better way to ask the question is this: what was your favorite season of the decade? Was it one of the three teams that achieved a #1 ranking or the one team that achieved the Final Four? To me the Final Four rescued what had been a dismal season. I enjoyed 2010 and 2012 much more, (2010 is my favorite team of the decade). last year was hard to watch because we were so good and then so bad. But I'll take a great regular season over a weak one, even if we go to the Final Four in the weak seaosn in terms of the happiness it produced and the pleasure of remembering it.

Of course if the that 21-10 somehow won it all...

I think the strong regular season usually is more fun than a post-season achievement (one that doesn't lead to a title, at least), though not always.

2010 was a pleasure to watch, despite the bad Butler game. 2013 wasn't so fun (despite an awesome 72 hours in D.C., the great Southerland Garden Show, and the win at Louisville).

On the other hand, 1996 was one of my favorite seasons ever, so I don't think it's the case that a several-loss regular season can't be overcome by a Final Four run.

Conclusion: I like watching basketball played at a high level. Final Fours are cool, 30-1 regular seasons are great, but execution and great play are best of all.

21-10 with a final four run provided the team improved along the course had a good stretch run and won some big conference games. That said we've been pretty spoiled of late winning a lot of games and I think this board would implode with that many losses.

On Bud and the Manchild, they asked: would you rather have this eyar's team go 28-3 in the regular season and then lose in the second round of the NCAAs or would you prefer they go 21-10 but make it to the Final Four?

I'm greedy. I want to go 28-3 and go to the Final Four. I think a better way to ask the question is this: what was your favorite season of the decade? Was it one of the three teams that achieved a #1 ranking or the one team that achieved the Final Four? To me the Final Four rescued what had been a dismal season. I enjoyed 2010 and 2012 much more, (2010 is my favorite team of the decade). last year was hard to watch because we were so good and then so bad. But I'll take a great regular season over a weak one, even if we go to the Final Four in the weak seaosn in terms of the happiness it produced and the pleasure of remembering it.

Of course if the that 21-10 somehow won it all...

I loved 2010, and 2012 we were great, but in the long run its the 2013 team that gets remembered. I'll take a year like 2013 over a 28-3 regular season where we get knocked out in the rount of 16 or round of 8. Yeah we lost to Michigan, but we weren't really left dissappointed about the season. League titles are awesome, but in college you get remembered for March. Nobody cares that AO got hurt or Fab got suspended.

IMO the 2013 team is one of the most underrated we have had. That was probably the best defensive team we have ever had. People want to discount that team because we had a hard time scoring, but watching guys like Southerland and Triche succeed as seniors is what the college game is all about.

UCONN has had a lot of great teams that never won it all that nobody cares about anymore, but they will get remembered for their national championships however mediocre they were.

what is better? to crush your enemies, to drive them before you, to hear the lamentations of their women and children.

Think of it another way--in 2012, we went 34-3, with only 1 of those losses coming in the regular season. We went an amazing 17-1 in conference, but we didn't win the BET [Louisville did], and lost in the Elite 8 of the NCAA tournament.

Louisville went 30-10, and only 10-8 in conference. We beat them twice. But they won the BET and got to the final four.

We were the better team that year, clearly. But which team had the better year?

I think most would say Louisville--given that their postseason success in both the BET / NCAA trumps regular season accomplishments.

Last edited:
Final four.

I'm down right depressed after bowing out early

We lost to Dayton and I took a 7 month hiatus from message boards.

Matter of fact I looked like this:

image.jpg

Is that what Bud and the Manchild has come to?

Think of it another way--in 2012, we went 34-3, with only 1 of those losses coming in the regular season. But we didn't win the BET [Louisville did], and lost in the Elite 8 of the NCAA tournament.

Louisville went 30-10, and only 10-8 in conference. We beat them twice. But they won the BET and got to the final four.

We were the better team that year, clearly. But which team had the better year?

I think most would say Louisville--given that their postseason success in both the BET / NCAA trumps regular season accomplishments.

We didn't have a great chance to get past OSU and Sullinger without Fab. Unfortunately when the ref made a bad call on Sullinger giving him a 2nd early foul the die was cast and everything went against us with the whistles for the next 20min or so. I am still somewhat convinced that the NCAA wanted nothing to do with us in the FF after the PSU thing because of the Fine stuff. That team with Baye and Rakeem was still good enough to make a game of it against OSU late. I'm not sure we could have beaten UK even with Fab but it would have been great to watch a Fab/Davis match up and with Fab I suspect we would have beaten anyone other than UK.

We didn't have a great chance to get past OSU and Sullinger without Fab. Unfortunately when the ref made a bad call on Sullinger giving him a 2nd early foul the die was cast and everything went against us with the whistles for the next 20min or so. I am still somewhat convinced that the NCAA wanted nothing to do with us in the FF after the PSU thing because of the Fine stuff. That team with Baye and Rakeem was still good enough to make a game of it against OSU late. I'm not sure we could have beaten UK even with Fab but it would have been great to watch a Fab/Davis match up and with Fab I suspect we would have beaten anyone other than UK.

That was just a fluky game. I remember Krisjo missing multiple easy bunnies at the start of the game that put us behind the 8 ball. Dion had a bad game at the wrong time, but despite all that we still had chances. The questionable charge call on Triche immediately after Sullinger's 2nd foul really set the tone for the entire game.

Nah, that was a good foul call. Sullinger pushed Waiters in the hip when he was airborne.

Horrible, horrible game. Though I don't think we'd have even seen Kentucky (tough to beat Kansas without Fab).

With Fab, I have no doubt that we'd have won it all.

Nah, that was a good foul call. Sullinger pushed Waiters in the hip when he was airborne.

Horrible, horrible game. Though I don't think we'd have even seen Kentucky (tough to beat Kansas without Fab).

With Fab, I have no doubt that we'd have won it all.

My recollection was a ticky tack second call on Sullinger but I could be wrong as I didn't even realize it was Dion. My point on getting to UK was with Fab. That Wisci game we won in the SS was one of the better played games in that entire tourney. Both teams executed what they wanted to very well.

I'm not sure we could have beaten UK even with Fab but it would have been great to watch a Fab/Davis match up and with Fab I suspect we would have beaten anyone other than UK.
speaking of Davis - holy hell is this kid a beast. second best player in the NBA already and its only a matter of time before he surpasses the aging LBJ. basketball fans, do yourselves a favor and watch as many Pelican games as you can.

speaking of Davis - holy hell is this kid a beast. second best player in the NBA already and its only a matter of time before he surpasses the aging LBJ. basketball fans, do yourselves a favor and watch as many Pelican games as you can.

No doubt and there is a thread today specifically about that.

No doubt and there is a thread today specifically about that.
didn't see that; thanks for the pointer.

Davis destroyed the Lakers last night. Not that everyone else hasn't done so, but still. Going to see him live in a couple of weeks.

Any season ending in the Final Four is a success no matter the final outcome. Regular seasons in sports all about setting you up for success in the postseason. I would take the 21-10 ALL DAY long.

Your question is asking whether you want to be Kentucky or Wichita State last season. Give me Kentucky all day long they made the Final Four and lost the NC game. Wichita State went undefeated and accomplished nothing in the tournament.

I don't think those things are mutually exclusive, but otherwise it's a no brainer: the final four trumps a great regular season record.
Those of us old enough wouldn't trade '75 for a lot of out great non final four years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom