Which position will be the Weakest Link? | Syracusefan.com

Which position will be the Weakest Link?

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
Could be center if DJC is foul prone. Most likely will be PF unless XMAS develops go to moves. Otherwise, he will be inconsistent. CJ is not ideal for PF and if he had to play the 4, South would most likely be at the 3 and he is also inconsistent.

Certainly won't be the backcourt. Mookie might get some minutes which the fans would love.

I think C will be fine.
At the 3 and 4 we have a bunch of interchangable parts that could play either position.

G won't be the weakest link, but if Cooney can't adjust like we expect him to, we'll be in trouble there. We can't afford 36+mpg from MCW and Triche (plus injuries or foul issues). So I guess from the depth aspect, you could point to guard.

Mookie should be locked in a closet with no basketballs or round objects of any kind during Syracuse basketball games.

I think C will be fine.
At the 3 and 4 we have a bunch of interchangable parts that could play either position.

G won't be the weakest link, but if Cooney can't adjust like we expect him to, we'll be in trouble there. We can't afford 36+mpg from MCW and Triche (plus injuries or foul issues). So I guess from the depth aspect, you could point to guard.

Mookie should be locked in a closet with no basketballs or round objects of any kind during Syracuse basketball games.
In lesser SU eras, Mookie would have been a big part of the rotations

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

This could be the year Mookie Jones finally breaks out. Seriously. Why not?

Syracuse has no depth at guard beyond himself and Cooney. Carter Williams and Triche have not proven themselves to be consistent players. If they have any kind of inconsistency or lack of production, there are only two players to get playing time. That disregards injury our foul trouble.

Mookie Jones will get playing time this year in some critical points. He probably doesn't make much of those glimpses of playing time. Maybe he didn't work very hard or get any better during his time away from the court... But maybe he did, and we will see an entirely new, driven Mookie.

His turning into a star would be the preposterous end result that would get movies made.

Mookie can stroke it for sure. But he better have significantly improved his defense over the summer. I think he's too slow for the top of the zone and too small for the back. He's also a gunner. If he ever gets solid minutes we're in trouble.

The 4.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

agreed its either pg or sg. we need brandon to be able to play the 1 with trevor and trevor to be solid enough alongside mcw. we wont be able to afford situations like last year when both dw and scoop were in foul trouble. this year i think rebounding will be key to offset a likely drop in steals. this and the ability to get easy buckets in the post.

The 3 because we are going to need CJ or James to be the man offensively and I not sure either one if ready for that.

I think we have some question marks at all positions, but I'll go with PG/SG. The other positions, with the talent level we have there, will fall into line if the guards can create for them, and show an ability to score effectively.

I think it could be the role of Loveable Walk On. Reese and Resavy both graduated, didn't they? Who will step up?

The 4. We know MCW can handle the point. The only question there is how good he'll be and how soon - will he be one of the best pg's in the big east next year, or will he merely be pretty good his first year starting there. We are very solid, to say the least, at the 2 with Triche. We know CJ and James can both play the 3. We know Christmas is a good enough center that we can get to the elite eight with him anchoring the zone. The 4 is the only question mark. Will either Christmas or Coleman be able to play effective minutes at the four, or will we have to settle for having fair and southerland man the 3 and 4 during cruch time. which isn't all that bad, mind you. it's just not nearly as good as we potentially could be if christmas and coleman can handle the 4 and 5 between them.

Until Coleman proves otherwise, I am betting that it will be the 5. Granted, I don't think that the bigs in the Big East will be great, there is always toughness and talent in the conference that can make it rough for a young center -- especially when they are playing with a question mark at the 4.

Honestly though, this coming year I'm more worried about not having a go-to scorer than having one glaring positional weakness. I see a lot of guys that will probably put up 8-12 points per game, but none that could be relied upon for 16 to 20+, if we needed them to. Luckily, I have no idea what has happened since last March, and with the natural ability on the roster, someone may be able to make the leap.

Until Coleman proves otherwise, I am betting that it will be the 5. Granted, I don't think that the bigs in the Big East will be great, there is always toughness and talent in the conference that can make it rough for a young center -- especially when they are playing with a question mark at the 4.

Honestly though, this coming year I'm more worried about not having a go-to scorer than having one glaring positional weakness. I see a lot of guys that will probably put up 8-12 points per game, but none that could be relied upon for 16 to 20+, if we needed them to. Luckily, I have no idea what has happened since last March, and with the natural ability on the roster, someone may be able to make the leap.
Eh I think BMK will be fine, especially with another off season of getting stronger and learning the game. So even if DC2 struggles out of the gate, BMK will be more than formidable at 25+mpg

Honestly though, this coming year I'm more worried about not having a go-to scorer than having one glaring positional weakness. I see a lot of guys that will probably put up 8-12 points per game, but none that could be relied upon for 16 to 20+, if we needed them to. Luckily, I have no idea what has happened since last March, and with the natural ability on the roster, someone may be able to make the leap.[/quote]

This is why I think it's the 3 with James and CJ. Remember how Kris Jo struggled making the jump to go to scorer his junior year? Now maybe it will be Brandon but I'm not sure he thinks like a scorer enough. If it is Brandon than watch world!

Eh I think BMK will be fine, especially with another off season of getting stronger and learning the game. So even if DC2 struggles out of the gate, BMK will be more than formidable at 25+mpg

Unless you are thinking of a different definition of formidable, I'm not sure BMK is ever going to fit that bill -- serviceable, maybe, but I don't think he'll ever worry our opponents.

The reason I am most concerned about the 5 is that I worry that with BMK that what we have seen is pretty much what he's going to be. I personally don't see him making a leap to be a good Big East (ACC) center. I think in the coming year, if DC2 proves that he isn't ready for big minutes in conference play, we are much more likely to see Rak at the 5 with Dirty and CJ in a small line-up than BMK playing extended minutes on a regular basis. Rak seems to have nearly every possible advantage over him except he gives up a little length. In terms of athleticism, pedigree, coordination, etc, Rak seems to be in the lead -- which is why I think Rak is more likely to make the jump into a good 4/5 for us and Baye will sit.

I guess we'll see though. I'd love to see Baye pushing DC2 and Rak for serious minutes. The more competition, the better.

This could be the year Mookie Jones finally breaks out. Seriously. Why not?

Syracuse has no depth at guard beyond himself and Cooney. Carter Williams and Triche have not proven themselves to be consistent players. If they have any kind of inconsistency or lack of production, there are only two players to get playing time. That disregards injury our foul trouble.

Mookie Jones will get playing time this year in some critical points. He probably doesn't make much of those glimpses of playing time. Maybe he didn't work very hard or get any better during his time away from the court... But maybe he did, and we will see an entirely new, driven Mookie.

His turning into a star would be the preposterous end result that would get movies made.
Mookie needs to lose some serious weight if he's serious about getting court time.

I think it is at shooting guard. Currently we only have one guy I would classify as a 2 guard - Cooney - and he has yet to play a minute. Triche will no doubt play it as well, and I can't say for certain whether he can make the transition.

My concern is for the two forward slots in the zone. I think CJ and James both do a good job there, it's not them I'm worried about. It's when they need a break or get in foul trouble. I don't like the idea of Rak playing there. He's too slow to get out on the shooters in the corner or up to foul line extended until the guard rotates over. Seems like the center position will be fine. I thought Rak showed some decent talent there at the end of the season one Fab failed us.

I think it is at shooting guard. Currently we only have one guy I would classify as a 2 guard - Cooney - and he has yet to play a minute. Triche will no doubt play it as well, and I can't say for certain whether he can make the transition.
Transition from what? What position was Triche playing last year when he was in the game with Scoop? Sure looked like he was playing the 2, and playing it pretty well for the most part.

Could be center if DJC is foul prone. Most likely will be PF unless XMAS develops go to moves. Otherwise, he will be inconsistent. CJ is not ideal for PF and if he had to play the 4, South would most likely be at the 3 and he is also inconsistent.

Certainly won't be the backcourt. Mookie might get some minutes which the fans would love.
It depends on how much Southerland wants to continue his career after college ball. If he has worked his body and game since last year he could be a excellent PF > He has the ability to sky up for boards and can play inside if he works for it . " If" beging the problematic qualifier of everyone's life.:p

Transition from what? What position was Triche playing last year when he was in the game with Scoop? Sure looked like he was playing the 2, and playing it pretty well for the most part.
Fair point...I think it will be more difficult this year as I think the shooting guard will take on a bigger offensive load than he did last year. But you are correct in that he already plays the position.

Fair point...I think it will be more difficult this year as I think the shooting guard will take on a bigger offensive load than he did last year. But you are correct in that he already plays the position.
I think Triche will score more next year by virtue of playing significantly more minutes, but I don't necessarily think his shots per minute will increase dramatically. On many nights last season, he (and Dion) carried much of the offensive load when they were on the court, so I'm confident Triche will be able to do so again. Based on his conditioning, I also believe Triche will be able to play more minutes without any appreciable drop in his offensive and defensive productivity. I would like to see him take the ball more aggressively to the basket next season and take advantage of his size and strength when the match-ups warrant it.

I believe Cooney's redshirt year will benefit him greatly and expect him to provide a solid offensive spark off the bench. Some posters seem to think he will be a polished force from day one and play 20 minutes a night, but I'm expecting something like 10-15 minutes with the typical freshman growing pains (playing the zone, shot selection). There will be a few nights when he may prove to be a difference maker, but against better teams JB is likely to ride Triche and MCW for as long as he can.

PF - and it's not even close - mostly on the defensive end, because JB's teams don't really have offensive 'positions'