Which Power 5 universities have won men's basketball, football, lacrosse, and IRA rowing championships | Syracusefan.com

Which Power 5 universities have won men's basketball, football, lacrosse, and IRA rowing championships

mark79

All Conference
For you research inclined folks... Are there any others?

There are only five P5 schools with LAX titles:

Syracuse
Virginia
Maryland
Duke
North Carolina.

Four of them don't have rowing titles. ;)

Maryland has won one football, one hoops.

Duke and UNC, no football.

The only P5 schools that might have won an IRA are- Wisco, UW, Cal, and Syracuse. Maybe Oregon State? Navy doesn't count.

But how many have basketball, football, lax, and water polo titles? That's what the people really want to know.
RutgersAl would like you to add fencing to that list please. They don't have anything to go with it, and it is debatable whether they really won an NC in fencing (I don't see it in the NCAA listings of official championships), but let's have more love for it anyway, just in case.

Last edited:
The only P5 schools that might have won an IRA are- Wisco, UW, Cal, and Syracuse. Maybe Oregon State? Navy doesn't count.

What about Quidditch?

How many P5 schools have won at that?

For decades, the IRA championships were rowed on Onondaga Lake -- until the lake was declared too polluted in the mid 1990s. It was a great party weekend , usually early June, much like the LAX final four is today.

I have actually attended all four championship events -- three when Syracuse won ... and the fourth which took place in Syracuse (but Syracuse did not win in the years I attended in the 1960s)

Last edited:
For decades, the IRA championships were rowed on Onondaga Lake -- until the lake was declared too polluted in the mid 1990s. It was a great party weekend , usually early June, much like the LAX final four is today.

I have actually attended all four championship events -- three when Syracuse won ... and the fourth which took place in Syracuse (but Syracuse did not win in the years I attended in the 1960s)
You gotta regatta.

Last edited by a moderator:
RutgersAl would like you to add fencing to that list please. They don't have anything to go with it, and it is debatable whether they really won an NC in fencing (I don't see it in the NCAA listings of official championships), but let's have more love for it anyway, just in case.

I’ve always heard a lot of fencing goes on in New Jersey, but I didn’t realize they gave national titles for it.

I remember making what I thought was a joke at one of those wild crazy regatta parties attended by thousands along the shoreline. Surrounded by multitudes of hard partiers, a few kids we didn’t know sitting closer to the action yelled back to our group of crazys ‘who is winning out there’? No one was really paying any attention to the actual race out there so I just yelled back ‘Maria Regina’. (a small local 2 year women’s college) as a joke. Just a stupid inane reply by myself though that ended up being hysterical as some partiers started yelling ‘Go Maria Regina’ where it quickly escalated into hundreds and hundreds of people raucously cheering for the non existent Maria Regina crew while some crew did race towards the finish line. Lots of laughs, sunburns, hangovers as a result of those gotta regatta days.

Weird. I just realized that Yale (YALE!!) is the defending national champion in both lacrosse and crew. The two big party sports -- and my Ivy League neighbor (30 miles away) is the defending champ in both. Maybe I should check out their parties.

I attended the one in 1978 and yes it sure was a party!!

And 4 men's cross country championships.

I'm in for UVA tonight.

There are only five P5 schools with LAX titles:

Syracuse
Virginia
Maryland
Duke
North Carolina.
Until recently only 5 schools played LAX. Not the best example.