Which will be missed more by Syracuse fans | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Which will be missed more by Syracuse fans

Well I'll tell you how my 11 year daughter feels. The day of the UConn game this year they had SU day, where all the kids dress in SU gear. She came home and told me that her friend dressed in Hoya garb and he was ribbed even by the gym teacher. So I said to my daughter that I was thankful he wasn't dressed in Uconn gear and her reply was...Dad, if he was wearing Uconn stuff nobody would have noticed or cared.

Well I'll tell you how my 11 year daughter feels. The day of the UConn game this year they had SU day, where all the kids dress in SU gear. She came home and told me that her friend dressed in Hoya garb and he was ribbed even by the gym teacher. So I said to my daughter that I was thankful he wasn't dressed in Uconn gear and her reply was...Dad, if he was wearing Uconn stuff nobody would have noticed or cared.
Lol if that's true that's funny.
:bang:
Well i will miss the Cuse rivalry, until we get in...

Lol if that's true that's funny.
:bang:
Well i will miss the Cuse rivalry, until we get in...

Until you get in the habit of not playing Syracuse?

If UConn gets into the ACC, the odds are that the ACC is already gutted.

The basketball rivalry with Georgetown or the one with UConn?

I think it's a generational thing. For those who were fans at the beginning of the Big East, Georgetown is and always will be the biggest rival, despite their down years when Craig Esherick succeeded Big John Thompson.

For those who became fans in the 90s or later, UConn has been the top dog and we have mostly been chasing them, so they would be the bigger rival.

I'm old school, so it's Georgetown for me. Even though they've been top contenders for the past 20 years, UConn are still the Johnny-Come-Lately guys to me.

Until you get in the habit of not playing Syracuse?

If UConn gets into the ACC, the odds are that the ACC is already gutted.
Yep - this. If we ever find UConn in the ACC, it means one of two things - either ND went all in (and wanted UConn for some strange reason) and the ACC desired an even number, or several teams left for the B1G/SEC. No other reason for UConn to be in the ACC. If it's the former, I'd hold my nose and be OK with it. If it's the latter, we'd have bigger worries on our hands.

The answer to this question is simple: Yes. Anyone not missing both of these rivalries has no idea what being a fan is all about. UVA, Ga tech, Wakem Va Tech, Miami, Fla State, or Nc state or others will simply never match up. Duke and Carolina will, to an extent, but they don't really care about us, they are nowhere near the northeast, and there is zero history there. Maryland would have been very interesting but, of course, they're gone. Both of these rivalries will be sorely missed, IMO.

You can't predict the future. Just wait until Duke and Carolina come to the Dome. Just wait until we get jobbed in a game by biased officiating down in Cameron. This thing could heat up pretty quickly. We are loaded, and when we come to the ACC, it's really going to throw those boys for a loop.

You can't predict the future. Just wait until Duke and Carolina come to the Dome. Just wait until we get jobbed in a game by biased officiating down in Cameron. This thing could heat up pretty quickly. We are loaded, and when we come to the ACC, it's really going to throw those boys for a loop.

Also, just wait until you have dealt with the NCSU crowd. That bunch can be rsther nasty, without any of the more advanced humor that at times makes the Dook crowd sufferable.

Also, just wait until you have dealt with the NCSU crowd. That bunch can be rsther nasty

We took over their arena last year and the NC State fans really hate us for that. They should be pissed at their own fans for not showing up to the game.

Also, just wait until you have dealt with the NCSU crowd. That bunch can be rsther nasty, without any of the more advanced humor that at times makes the Dook crowd sufferable.

But that's the whole point -- I'm unlikely to ever deal with an NC State crowd since Raleigh is 8 or 9 hours or something from my house. Part of the inherent value of the BE is that all the alumni in philly and dc and new york (and boston, when BC was around) could skip out early from work, get a few beers at a bar full of BE fans and then head over to a game.

I guess we get Boston back, which is nice, but NY/Philly/Baltimore/DC area fans have a hike on their hands to see any games. With three kids and wife who really couldn't care any less about Cuse hoops, I have no illusions of driving three hours to charlottesville to catch a game against a boring, slow-it-down UVA team.

I'll stop whining now -- I just can't believe more folks don't feel a profound sense of loss with the decline of the BE.

But that's the whole point -- I'm unlikely to ever deal with an NC State crowd since Raleigh is 8 or 9 hours or something from my house. Part of the inherent value of the BE is that all the alumni in philly and dc and new york (and boston, when BC was around) could skip out early from work, get a few beers at a bar full of BE fans and then head over to a game.

I guess we get Boston back, which is nice, but NY/Philly/Baltimore/DC area fans have a hike on their hands to see any games. With three kids and wife who really couldn't care any less about Cuse hoops, I have no illusions of driving three hours to charlottesville to catch a game against a boring, slow-it-down UVA team.

I'll stop whining now -- I just can't believe more folks don't feel a profound sense of loss with the decline of the BE.

That is similar to ACC fans and the loss of the round robin. But the reality is that because football is so much bigger than basketball, all major decisions about conferences must be made with football in mind, with football front and center. And when those decisions are made, some basketball will be lost.

That is similar to ACC fans and the loss of the round robin. But the reality is that because football is so much bigger than basketball, all major decisions about conferences must be made with football in mind, with football front and center. And when those decisions are made, some basketball will be lost.

I get that -- it doesn't make me feel any better nor do I think it's terribly logical for hoops schools to think that way. Yes, they get more money, but I'm not sure I buy selling off the one thing that you are -- by far -- most identified with (big east hoops) to join a bland football league and a hoops league based in the southeast. I get that it's a lot more money today ... I'm still not sure it makes great sense overall. I mean, are we really going to be a relevant national football program? Or Duke? Or BC? I don't know.

I get that -- it doesn't make me feel any better nor do I think it's terribly logical for hoops schools to think that way. Yes, they get more money, but I'm not sure I buy selling off the one thing that you are -- by far -- most identified with (big east hoops) to join a bland football league and a hoops league based in the southeast. I get that it's a lot more money today ... I'm still not sure it makes great sense overall. I mean, are we really going to be a relevant national football program? Or Duke? Or BC? I don't know.

The odds of Syracuse ever becoming a true national power in football are slim and none. Ditto Dook and BC.

But the reality is that none of them could be indy in football, which means that unless they drop to 1A football, they must be in the most wealthy and stable and like-minded football league to which they can manage to get admitted.

It literally is that stark a choice.

ACC basketball can never approach being as fun and intense as it was when the league had 8 tightly packed schools playing a 14 game round robin. But unless we wanted to drop to 1A in football, that beautiful basketball league had to be expanded, which would almost ruin it.

The BE was founded 100% of, by, and for basketball, and that is the reason the league failed. That is the reason Traghese in 1997 (I think) first offered the ACC the 'use of' the first 4 BE football members (Cuse, BC, Pitt, and Miami) during football season. He knew, as did the rest of the BE brass, what was king and what could save BE basketball.

The odds of Syracuse ever becoming a true national power in football are slim and none. Ditto Dook and BC.

But the reality is that none of them could be indy in football, which means that unless they drop to 1A football, they must be in the most wealthy and stable and like-minded football league to which they can manage to get admitted.

It literally is that stark a choice.

ACC basketball can never approach being as fun and intense as it was when the league had 8 tightly packed schools playing a 14 game round robin. But unless we wanted to drop to 1A in football, that beautiful basketball league had to be expanded, which would almost ruin it.

The BE was founded 100% of, by, and for basketball, and that is the reason the league failed. That is the reason Traghese in 1997 (I think) first offered the ACC the 'use of' the first 4 BE football members (Cuse, BC, Pitt, and Miami) during football season. He knew, as did the rest of the BE brass, what was king and what could save BE basketball.

I get this. But let's not pretend that SU's position or that of the ACC is truly stable in any discernible way. More stable than the old BE? Absolutely. Stable? In no way shape or form. And the money is great, provided the league actually draws viewers and, of course, viewers. I guess my point is, as crazy as it sounds, I'm not sure dropping football down to FCS or something is as crazy as it sounds.

To me the Georgetown rivalry was John Thompson, and his pretending to be the great educator while bringing in players who played like thugs. The greatest part of the series was his getting 3 tech's and DC making 7-8 free throws and winning in OT. When he retired the series changed and has never been the same. UConn became Georgetown with Calhoun being the new John, now they've got Ollie who isn't a bad guy. Both rivalries have lost the bad guy, time to move on, we used to play St Bonaventure, and Niagara but we moved on.

I get this. But let's not pretend that SU's position or that of the ACC is truly stable in any discernible way. More stable than the old BE? Absolutely. Stable? In no way shape or form. And the money is great, provided the league actually draws viewers and, of course, viewers. I guess my point is, as crazy as it sounds, I'm not sure dropping football down to FCS or something is as crazy as it sounds.

UConn now has the option of dropping to 1AA in football. It is doing everything it can to avoid that.

With the football history Syracuse has, that is not an option worth considering even if the school were left behind in the BE.

You will need to define stable before anybody can agree with you that the ACC is "in no way shape or form' stable.

UConn now has the option of dropping to 1AA in football. It is doing everything it can to avoid that.

With the football history Syracuse has, that is not an option worth considering even if the school were left behind in the BE.

You will need to define stable before anybody can agree with you that the ACC is "in no way shape or form' stable.

The ACC is not stable in the sense that at any point a member or two or three can jump to some other conference like the big 10, perhaps. It's a fact of life. Nothing is stable anymore b/c as long as the finances match up, programs will jump at the cash. I mean, anyone who thinks this conference will be aligned the exact same way 5 years from now as it is today is absolutely naive, IMO. I mean, let's be honest, it could look different 5 weeks from now.

And yes, football being axed or dropping down won't be considered. My point is that I think a lot of the money signs in people's eyes right now are really fool's gold. With the facilities demands and coaching salaries increasing and travel costs, etc., schools better hope those TV dollars just keep going up. I'm not sure I'm sold on that.

GTown. If you say UConn, you must have started watching SU basketball after JT2 retired.

The basketball rivalry with Georgetown or the one with UConn?

I won't miss either for about 5 years. And during that time when Georgetown becomes part of the new Atlantic 10, then I'll like to see us renew playing them and beat them into the ground like we did constantly during my time at SU from 99-03.