White/Gillon Q and A | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

White/Gillon Q and A

Not taking this as hope for a turnaround, and unless highly edited it looks like a lot of the comments regarding how close the team is off court were basically unsolicited. So you can take that at face value or you can construe it that things are so bad W&G are conspiring to cover it all up. I'll go with the former.

That being said the lack of execution on the court is what needs to be addressed quickly - offense against M2M, defensive assignments in the zone and pathetic rebounding both positioning and effort. And I don't buy into any theory that players don't execute unless they are BFFs off the court.
we have historically been a poor rebounding and free throw team. this part is not new to us. bad zone d is new, and offensive flow in a set offense has never been a strong point. our strong points have always been high pressure d creating turn over and havoc with fast paced run game. if we have to get into a set offense for more than 10-15 secs we have issues.

we have historically been a poor rebounding and free throw team. this part is not new to us. bad zone d is new, and offensive flow in a set offense has never been a strong point. our strong points have always been high pressure d creating turn over and havoc with fast paced run game. if we have to get into a set offense for more than 10-15 secs we have issues.

Putting aside history (this team has two new frosh, two new grad transfers, and a soph PG who played little last season), this team needs to improve its guard play on offense, and its inside play at both ends. With a 6ft 9 Lydon and a 6ft 10 in Thompson, the team should be better on the boards, and they absolutely need to get better at defending inside. Guard play for this team is problematic -- JB has tried every combination possible. Team chemistry -- not my number 1, 2, 3 or 4 top worries about this team.

You usually don't need players only meetings if everyone gets along. That should've been hint numero uno.
That's not true. That could be a reason for a player-only meeting, but not the ONLY reason they are ever called. Teams at every level have them - MLB, NFL, etc. It's more of a collective way to rally the troops and refocus.

You usually don't need players only meetings if everyone gets along. That should've been hint numero uno.

In fact it is just the opposite. In my experience, you need to have some sense of unity off the field to even call a players only meeting and have everyone participate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom