Who are we fighting with for MSG? | Syracusefan.com

Who are we fighting with for MSG?

sabach

All American
I would figure that at least two teams from the ACC will be on the 1 and/or 2 lines come March. SU, Duke and Virginia will be the contenders for these two spots. If we get a one seed, we go to MSG, end of story. But if we do not get a one seed, isn't it still likely that we get the 2 seed in the East. As long as Duke and Virginia do not have the 1 seed in the East (which is unlikely unless one of those two were to win out), isn't SU a shoo in for the 2 in the East. Even if another ACC school is on the 2 line, wouldn't they go to Memphis and SU to NYC?

Florida can have the South 1, Arizona can have the West 1, Kansas/Wichita can have the Midwest 1 and the other can have the East 1. Put me in MSG as a 2 behind Wichita and I'll sign up right now. Duke or UVA can be the 2 behind Florida.

These teams could be sent to MSG. Syracuse, Duke, Villanova, Florida(if Arizona, Wichita St, Kansas all got 1 seeds which is unlikely).
We need to be the best ACC team to get to sent to MSG and then finish ahead of Nova to earn a 1 seed.

These teams could be sent to MSG. Syracuse, Duke, Villanova, Florida(if Arizona, Wichita St, Kansas all got 1 seeds which is unlikely).
We need to be the best ACC team to get to sent to MSG and then finish ahead of Nova to earn a 1 seed.

No chance Florida gets sent to MSG. They are locked into Memphis.
Villanova has no shot to get it over us. Zero.
Kansas is the one team that could get it but we could also be a 2 to their one at MSG so I am not too worried about them.
Duke only if we fall on our face and they win out

In my opinion, barring an absolute collapse, we will be, at a minimum, the number 2 in the East so long as Duke is not the number 1 in the East.

sabach said:
I would figure that at least two teams from the ACC will be on the 1 and/or 2 lines come March. SU, Duke and Virginia will be the contenders for these two spots. If we get a one seed, we go to MSG, end of story. But if we do not get a one seed, isn't it still likely that we get the 2 seed in the East. As long as Duke and Virginia do not have the 1 seed in the East (which is unlikely unless one of those two were to win out), isn't SU a shoo in for the 2 in the East. Even if another ACC school is on the 2 line, wouldn't they go to Memphis and SU to NYC? Florida can have the South 1, Arizona can have the West 1, Kansas/Wichita can have the Midwest 1 and the other can have the East 1. Put me in MSG as a 2 behind Wichita and I'll sign up right now. Duke or UVA can be the 2 behind Florida.
UVA would likely go to Memphis. Duke is really the only threat to msg.

Kansas is the one team that could get it but we could also be a 2 to their one at MSG so I am not too worried about them.
Exactly, in my opinion we can lose even more than we think, drop to a 2 seed and still be most likely placed in MSG. The only team that can bump us out of MSG is Duke and they can only do that if they run the table and be the 1 in the East.

Listen I agree we control our destiny, but the question is who are battling its Duke and Villanova. Florida could get sent to MSG if as I said the 1 seeds were Wichita State, Kansas, Arizona, Florida. I realize Memphis is closer to Gainesville, but its not that much further for Florida to get to MSG if it would save miles for Wichita State or Kansas.

Duke is our threat for a 1 seed in the ACC. Villanova has wins over Kansas, Iowa, and everyone in the Big East but Creighton. I agree we have the superior resume right now because we beat them head to head, but if Nova runs the table the rest of the season and beat Creighton at MSG in the BET they could get a 1 seed in the East if we lose another regular season game and don't win the ACC Tournament.

Listen I agree we control our destiny, but the question is who are battling its Duke and Villanova. Florida could get sent to MSG if as I said the 1 seeds were Wichita State, Kansas, Arizona, Florida. I realize Memphis is closer to Gainesville, but its not that much further for Florida to get to MSG if it would save miles for Wichita State or Kansas.

Duke is our threat for a 1 seed in the ACC. Villanova has wins over Kansas, Iowa, and everyone in the Big East but Creighton. I agree we have the superior resume right now because we beat them head to head, but if Nova runs the table the rest of the season and beat Creighton at MSG in the BET they could get a 1 seed in the East if we lose another regular season game and don't win the ACC Tournament.
Regardless of who gets the one seed in MSG, unless it is Duke, I am finding it hard to believe that we are not going to get the 2 seed in MSG with the other ACC team going to Memphis as a 2.

If we win 4-5 more games prior to the NCAA's NOONE is a threat. That is the way you have to look at it. It doesnt matter what other teams do if we win our last 4.

Regardless of who gets the one seed in MSG, unless it is Duke, I am finding it hard to believe that we are not going to get the 2 seed in MSG with the other ACC team going to Memphis as a 2.
I would agree with you and Marsh 100%. As long as we are the top ACC team in the minds of the committee will get sent to MSG either as a 1 seed or 2 seed. I was just saying though that Nova is a backdoor threat though we need to be ahead of them if we are both on the 2 line, but Nova is either going to run the table and be in the discussion for a 1 seed or they will lose to Creighton for a 3rd time and likely be behind if we were both 2 seeds.

I would agree with you and Marsh 100%. As long as we are the top ACC team in the minds of the committee will get sent to MSG either as a 1 seed or 2 seed. I was just saying though that Nova is a backdoor threat though we need to be ahead of them if we are both on the 2 line, but Nova is either going to run the table and be in the discussion for a 1 seed or they will lose to Creighton for a 3rd time and likely be behind if we were both 2 seeds.

If we win 4-5 more games prior to the NCAA's NOONE is a threat. That is the way you have to look at it. It doesnt matter what other teams do if we win our last 4.
I agree with you 100%. I am just answering we are be battling and its a 2 front attack IMO. As long as we win nobody is a threat. We need to make sure we are the top ACC AND if we aren't a 1 seed then be ahead of Villanova as well.

I agree with you 100%. I am just answering we are be battling and its a 2 front attack IMO. As long as we win nobody is a threat. We need to make sure we are the top ACC AND if we aren't a 1 seed then be ahead of Villanova as well.

I dont think Villanova is anywhere near us to be honest with you. Kansas is the one team we need to look at. If Wichita loses at any point then it increases our chances even more.

Fair enough. If we are a 2 seed and so is Nova, they could bump us out of MSG. But if Nova is the 1 seed in the East, we could still get to MSG as the 2 behind them. So I guess to answer the question of this thread, we are competing with Nova and Duke for MSG (either as a one seed or a two seed).

We dominated nova at home. End of discussion there. Duke has to win out. We take care of business this week it doesn't matter. Lots of people putting Six loss Duke on a pedestal on this board.

Marsh01 said:
I dont think Villanova is anywhere near us to be honest with you. Kansas is the one team we need to look at. If Wichita loses at any point then it increases our chances even more.
nova can't be a 1 with those losses they have

Too much hoops still to be played and we are on a losing streak. Until we get back on a winning streak, I won't worry about MSG.

Honestly Villanova has 3 losses to Creighton x2, and Syracuse. They have wins over Kansas, Iowa, Big 5 teams, they have 4 games left 3 at home and 1 @Xavier. I think they could end up 28-3 in the regular season. I think Syracuse at 27-4 still has a better resume, but Nova is the darkhorse threat to get a 1 seed nobody really mentions. Lunardi always underseeds them it seems because of St. Joe's bias. I would love Nova to be the 2 seed in our bracket as I like you feel their 24-3 right now is a little fool's gold, but they are legit and aren't given the respect nationally because Creighton is their kryptonite. I would give Villanova a 1 seed over Wichita State who are the biggest frauds ever if they get a 1 seed. I think Wichita State could win the NC because of their PG Van Vleet and Baker, Early being studs, but their resume is such a joke. I don't want to put them on the 1 line, but the media perception has basically driven everyone to say they deserve it except ESPN's Jeff Goodman who had his 1 seeds as Florida, Arizona, Syracuse, Kansas which is how I would do it.

Marsh not sure where u made the point regarding az on borrowed time... But I think they're figuring out how to play without Ashley. They played well this week. I think the paper tiger is Florida.

Marsh not sure where u made the point regarding az on borrowed time... But I think they're figuring out how to play without Ashley. They played well this week. I think the paper tiger is Florida.

Here is the reason why. The team is thin. Foul trouble will hurt them and they cant shoot FT's. Especially Gordon. Pac 12 is also a but more competitive than the SEC. Those are my reasons

nova can't be a 1 with those losses they have
How dare Villanova have 3 losses 2 of them to Creighton who is number 11 and Syracuse who is number 4. Margin of loss is completely irrelevant when seeding teams. Our loss to Boston College is 100 times more inexplicable than ANY of Villanova's losses. Look at their freaking resume before you say they can't be a 1 seed. Villanova is 4th in the RPI and has a SOS of 9. Syracuse doesn't beat teams by a lot and our point deferential would be one of the lowest ever for a 1 seed does that mean we can't be a 1 seed?

I think Wisconsin, Cincy and Louisville are being overlooked. 1 seeds are unlikely, but there's plenty of opportunities to climb into 2 seed territory.

Marsh01 said:
Here is the reason why. The team is thin. Foul trouble will hurt them and they cant shoot FT's. Especially Gordon. Pac 12 is also a but more competitive than the SEC. Those are my reasons
Cuse and ua are a lot alike...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom