Who are we fighting with for MSG? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Who are we fighting with for MSG?

Look at the consensus top teams and Syracuse has the weakest SOS except for Wichita State and Louisville.
AP Poll top 10 and SOS
1. Florida SOS 32
2. Wichita State SOS 112
3. Arizona SOS 9
4. Syracuse SOS 78
5. Kansas SOS 1
6. Duke SOS 5
7. Louisville SOS 103
8. Villanova SOS 21
9. Creighton SOS 31
10. St. Louis SOS 62

We have the resume, but margin for error is a lot less for a 1 seed than people think. I think we will win the games so it won't matter, but we aren't a lock. Also, I realize High Point, Cornell, and Binghamton have killed our SOS being sub RPI 250 teams, but we scheduled those game on our own.

Florida is a virtual lock for the South.
AZ the same for the west.
Midwest is going to WichSt unbelievably but that's how it is.
East is SU leading by a large margin still.

Louisville is probably right behind us for the last 1 seed. if we lose tonight, they will be ahead of us.
I think we need to go 3-1 down the stretch to lock up the 1 seed.

Louisville is probably right behind us for the last 1 seed. if we lose tonight, they will be ahead of us.
I think we need to go 3-1 down the stretch to lock up the 1 seed.
TBCuse, Louisville is a dangerous team, but their resume won't get them a 1 seed. They are probably going to be a 2 or 3 seed if they continue on a roll. Their best wins are @Cincinnati, @UConn, SMU they aren't in the discussion for a 1 seed IMO.

TBCuse, Louisville is a dangerous team, but their resume won't get them a 1 seed. They are probably going to be a 2 or 3 seed if they continue on a roll. Their best wins are @Cincinnati, @UConn, SMU they aren't in the discussion for a 1 seed IMO.

Those wins are just as good as any we can throw out there. Duke and Nova at home wont count for much...
If Ville wins out, including the tourney, they are a 1 seed. Period. (in my opinion)

If we are the top seeded 2 seed (aka the 5th best team according to the committee), it's at least a possibility they could send us to the region of the weakest 1 seed/4th overall team. Isn't that the way it works? Not sure what gets priority in the committee's eyes.

If we are the top seeded 2 seed (aka the 5th best team according to the committee), it's at least a possibility they could send us to the region of the weakest 1 seed/4th overall team. Isn't that the way it works? Not sure what gets priority in the committee's eyes.

Not anymore. They try to match the top seed lines with their natural regions. supposedly they no long use the S-Curve to do it the way you describe. We would get first preference to our natural region of the other 2 seeds if we were the top 2 seed. The thing is geographically the seeds match up well for us this year no matter what 1 seed we are. AZ wants the west, Florida wants the south, WichSt actually helps us because they are a natural fit for the Midwest and of course we are the East.

We need to man up and go 4-0 down the stretch and Buffalo and MSG are ours regardless of whether Duke or UVA was to win the ACCT. We would be 3 losses ahead of either of them and we would own at least a share of the ACC reg season (with UVA).

In that scenario the only team I'd worry about is Nova if they won out and we lost our first ACCT game. Maybe they would end up as the 1 in the East, but we would still be the 2 because we would be higher than UVA and Duke on the S curve

UVA would likely go to Memphis. Duke is really the only threat to msg.

Lunardi has us in the West bracket in Anaheim. He even put our preliminary rounds in Orlando instead of Raleigh.

We need to man up and go 4-0 down the stretch and Buffalo and MSG are ours regardless of whether Duke or UVA was to win the ACCT. We would be 3 losses ahead of either of them and we would own at least a share of the ACC reg season (with UVA).

In that scenario the only team I'd worry about is Nova if they won out and we lost our first ACCT game. Maybe they would end up as the 1 in the East, but we would still be the 2 because we would be higher than UVA and Duke on the S curve

We beat Nova head to head they really need to gain ground to take the one seed from us like by winning out.

IMO you are understimating UVA. They can't get a #1 but could get a #2 if they win out and win the ACCT. UVA is MUCH closer to NYC than Memphis (like 300 miles). If Kansas wins out (Big XII regular season and tourney) they could get the #1 East with UVA as #2, Nova #3 and SU would get sent elsewhere probably on the #2 line. Long shot but possible. We need to win games and keep UVA or Duke from running the table.

Hoo's That said:
Lunardi has us in the West bracket in Anaheim. He even put our preliminary rounds in Orlando instead of Raleigh.
That's totally strange IMO. Is it a duke conflict?

The new rule is that top 4 teams from each conference must be in different regions if they are top 4 seeds.

UVA thus won't be allowed to be in the East or South where Duke and Syracuse project to be because all 3 teams we will be top 4 seeds. If UVA was a 5 seed they could be in the South or East. Thus, the only 2 other regions UVA could get would be the West and Midwest. UVA has a chance to get Raleigh for the first 2 rounds, but I don't think you guys can catch Syracuse or Duke on the S-Curve unless you won out and both teams struggled.

I don't think its as much a regional thing as some here suggest. I think the Committee is going to be focused on the four #1 seeds and then put them where its most logical. UA and FLA are very well positioned. KU will be there if they win out. That leaves one spot. If WS is sitting there at 33-0 then they might land that 4th seed if we don't win either the ACC or ACC tournament. I don't think they deserve it but there is a decent shot they will get it. If Duke finishes 3rd in the league its hard to see how they climb over us unless they drill us in the ACC tourney. Nova is not going to be a 1 seed. Creighton crushed them twice and we killed them as well. Plus they still have tough games left.

The new rule is that top 4 teams from each conference must be in different regions if they are top 4 seeds.

UVA thus won't be allowed to be in the East or South where Duke and Syracuse project to be because all 3 teams we will be top 4 seeds. If UVA was a 5 seed they could be in the South or East. Thus, the only 2 other regions UVA could get would be the West and Midwest. UVA has a chance to get Raleigh for the first 2 rounds, but I don't think you guys can catch Syracuse or Duke on the S-Curve unless you won out and both teams struggled.

I agree. However, I don't even think we'd catch you if we ran the table. The "bad" losses weigh us down and everyone will remember our losing to Tenn by 35. On our board, we're convinced we'll be in Raleigh (somebody has to have the non-prime times that Dook doesn't want) but at best we'd be the lowest two (#8) if we won out.

I think Wisconsin, Cincy and Louisville are being overlooked. 1 seeds are unlikely, but there's plenty of opportunities to climb into 2 seed territory.

Certainly a possibility. Good calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom